When attempting to update to the current Flash Player (Win XP 32 bit, applies to both activeX for IE and plugin for FireFox) from the Player Download Center (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer), the small (e.g. install_flashplayer11x32ax_gtbd_aih.exe ~736KB) installer downloads and is saved to a folder on my disk successfully. When it is then run, it copies itself to my userids Local Settings\Temp folder, launches from there, deletes itself from the download folder, then silently (no window is opened) runs, until the process is killed or computer rebooted, without ever installing the Flash Player. It expends very little CPU time, continues to increase context switches (primarily the threads at +0x35656 and +0x69940 in the above example) and listening on 1 TCP port and 1 UDP port (port numbers vary). Uninstalling the prior player first does not change this pattern.
For the recent 10.3 updates I was able to search awhile and find links to download the full installer versions which worked cleanly and quickly. This smaller installers from the Player Download Center are nothing but a huge time wasters as far my computers and I are concerned!!
Off to find the new links to the version 11 installers, what a PITA!
It looks like the flash 11 auto installer is using internet explorers security settings.
I found this thread because I had a similar issue. The install would run and just hang, it would not download the full installer.
I run the IE internet zone on high settings for safety.
On the off chance that the auto installer uses IE APIs, I set the internet zone to medium-high.
Guess what, it worked.
Adobe should fix this or more clearly post the locations of the manual installers on their help site and update them as soon as possible.
Currently the help site link is downloading version 10.
I understand that the forum FAQ has links to the version 11 installer. But clicking on Help on the adobe website eventually leads the majority of users to the following. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html#main_DownloadInstall
The links under the "Authenticating Proxy Servers" topic should be updated.