4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2011 7:33 AM by the_wine_snob

Subtitles query in Adobe Premiere Elements 3

HSKundra85

Dear all.

I am very new to Adobe Premiere Elements 3 as I have been required to understand aspects of it for my new job. One of aspects I want to look at is the option of adding in subtitles. So for example, I have a few extracts of dvds which has been clipped with no current subtitles (lasting around 2-3 minutes each) and was hoping to add in subtitles to accompany the narration for those with hearing difficulties. Is this possible through Premiere Elements 3? If so could someone be kind enough to let me know of how to achieve this?

Thank you very much and look forward to hearing back soon.

Kind regards

Harj

• 1. Re: Subtitles query in Adobe Premiere Elements 3
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sure. Adding subtitles is no different than adding titles.

You just create title clips on video tracks over your main video.

• 2. Re: Subtitles query in Adobe Premiere Elements 3
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Harj,

As Steve points out, one can add "subtitles," by using a Title layout, commonly referred to as "Lower Thirds." While there are Templates for several artistic layouts for Lower Thirds, one can create their own, to suit. I would start with one of the Lower Thirds Templates, and adapt it to suit your needs. When you have the layout, as you want it, you can then Save that Template for future use. If only to be used within a single Project, you can Duplicate that Title (the layout that you have created), and just alter the Text. Duplicate as many times as needed, to create new Titles based on it, in your Project Panel.

Note: these will function like Subtitles, but with a few differences. First, some background. There are real Subtitles, which function almost like Closed Caption (CC), but what you will be creating will be something similar, though with differences. Real Subtitles are a function that one can turn ON, or OFF on a DVD, or BD (Blu-ray Disc), and what you create with the above, will be Titles burned into the Video, so that there is no ON or OFF, like with real Subtitles.

PrE does not do real Subtitles (the ones that can be turned ON, or OFF, and done with an SRC file. Adobe Encore does, but it is only available with PrPro, as of the CS3 version. Some other DVD/BD authoring programs, also do real Subtitles.

Here is an example of a Lower Third, used as a subtitle. It is created with a rectangle with black Fill and no Stroke. On top of that is a rounded-corner rectangle with no Fill, but a white Stroke. Inside that, I have added white Text:

Lower_Third_Title.png

Hope that helps and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Subtitles query in Adobe Premiere Elements 3
              HSKundra85 Level 1

Dear Steve and Bill

Thank you very much for your responses to my query, and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

It's comforting to know that subtitles are possible through Adobe Premiere Elements. As a complete beginner in the software I think I may have to do some research into adding titles and understanding the software better. I am sure once I become more aware of the functions of the software the guidance provided will make mroe sense to me.

Thank you once again, it is much appreciated.

Kind regards

Harj

• 4. Re: Subtitles query in Adobe Premiere Elements 3
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Harj,

If you have installed the Additional Content (separate download file, or separate DVD), you should have many (do not know the count off-hand) Lower Thirds Titles. Also, you can create these, as you need. Usually, with Subtitles, the design is very clean, and straight-forward, so there would not be much "design work" required. Still, you might want to do something simple, such as add a Shape, to give good contrast to the Text, and also keep details of the underlying Video from getting in the way.

One tip, I like to keep any Text Title on the screen about 1.5x as long as it takes to read it.

With real Subtitles (like created from scc files in Encore), I find that too many go by too quickly, to really allow the viewer time to read them. I hate it, when that happens.

Good luck,

Hunt