14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2011 9:56 AM by Steve Grisetti

Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10

KoenP2 Level 1

Hi,

When I make a title it shows clearly transparent over my video-picture - as desired - in the preview window.

When I share this video the title has  black background and so the background video-picture is not visible.

What am I possibly doing wrongly?

Regards,

Koen

• 1. Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Titles are transparent by default, Koen. It all depends on what's placed on video tracks behind them.

If you're not in Timeline mode, switch over. In order to do this best, you'll want to be able to see all of the video tracks.

Then just place your title clip on a video track above another video clip. When you do, the video that's on the track(s) below will show through it.

You can get more information in my free 8-part Basic Training tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Koen,

Welcome to the forum.

As Steve points out, when you create a Title, its background WILL be transparent (though it shows as black as it is absent any pixels, except where you add them). If you are not getting that transparent background, then pixels have been added, say with a Shape, or an image.

Can you post a screen-cap of one of your Titles in the Titler Panel (just Dbl-click on the Title in the Timelinne to open it in the Titler), and then a screen-cap of that Title on the Timeline, above your Video Clip? That will tell us exactly how you have created your Title, and how you have placed it in the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10
              KoenP2 Level 1

Hi Bill.

I am not 100% clear which different screen-caps you are looking for;

attached 2 screen-caps. As you will notice the title is nicely transparent

(Screencap of Title in Timeline) Problem is that when I have rendered this

project and shared it to play in Windows Media Player or the like, the title

is black - not transparent and consequently the background image not

visible.

A situation which I have never ever encountered in PE-8. And what is more

annoying, on the phone with Adobe Helpdesk (Holland) this a'noon for >1

hour. The helpdesk guy, insisted on making a title in a new project in my

opinion in exactly the same way as I have done like always before and now

with the transparent effect.He (the helpdesk guy) did not even want to look

at my file - not his job, not his responsability, the only thing he wanted

to be confirmed is that in FE-10 you can make a transparent title on my pc.

I want to know what was wrong it did not show  tgransparancy in my project.

Hope you can help with these screen-caps.

Best regards,

Koen

+++

2011/10/5 Bill Hunt <forums@adobe.com

Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10

created by Bill Hunt <http://forums.adobe.com/people/the_wine_snob> in *Premiere

Elements* - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/3955157#3955157>

• 4. Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Koen,

Unfortunately, the screen-caps did not attach. Maybe this ARTICLE will be helpful in that regard?

Here is a single screen-cap, showing a basic Text Title "This is Heathrow," which is open (Dbl-click on it in Timeline) in the Titler Panel. It also shows the Timeline with that Title (annotated as "Overlay Title"), above the Video Clips:

Titler_Timeline.png

In this particular example, there is a second Title, which is a Shape (gray rectangle w/ only Fill and no Stroke), and its Opacity has been lowered, so that the Text Title stands out, but we still can see through that Shape.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10
                  KoenP2 Level 1

Bill.

I will study the articles you have given me.

The screen-caps where attached to the reply message via my Email, have now for correctness also attached them here in this reply.

Screencap of Title.jpgScreencap of Title in Timeline.jpg

Thanks for reply.

Regards,

Koen

• 6. Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10

Are you just trying to make the title fade out along with the video, Koen?

• 7. Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10
                      KoenP2 Level 1

Steve,

correct I would like to fade out both the video and the the title. Title

does not need to fade in, just show at start.

Regards,

Koen

2011/10/6 Steve Grisetti <forums@adobe.com>

Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10

created by Steve Grisetti <http://forums.adobe.com/people/Steve+Grisetti>in

Premiere Elements - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/3956928#3956928>

• 8. Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10

That's because the title is a separate clip.

Right-click on the title clip on your timeline and select Fade Out Video and a fade will be applied to it as well as to your video.

• 9. Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

When one has a Title, or a Video Clip above another Clip, another way to do the Fade Out is to add a Dip-to-Black to the upper Clip, or Title. That will take the entire screen to black. Many Transitions, like Cross-Dissolve and Dip-to-Black can be one-sided, or two-sided. As Dip-to-Black will take the upper (higher Video Track) Clip to black, that will do the same for the Clips below it.

In your screen-cap, the Title is in the Source Monitor, which is most often used to Trim a Clip, or Title. That Clip, or Title, is loading into the Source Monitor by Dlb-clicking on it in the Project Panel, or in the case of a Video Clip, from the Timeline. To load the Title into the Titler (the Title construction Panel), one would Dbl-click on it IN the Timeline. The Titler is where one creates, or modifies Titles, and it has a Toolset along the right, but a Styles Panel.

How did you create your Title? If done in the Titler, and you did not use any Shapes, it should have a transparent background. If the Title was created elsewhere, it might, or might not, have a transparent background. Say that you create your Title in Photoshop, or PSElements, on a black background, rather than with a transparent Background (note italics, as they designate the lowest Layer in a PS Image), then the Title is opaque black, and does not have transparency. That is why I ask how and where the Title was created.

In PrE, assets stacked above others in the Video Tracks in the Timeline, are just like acetate sheets, or like the Layers in PS, and will cover everything below, unless there are "holes" in the upper assets, or Transparency. Unfortunately, it can look a bit confusing in PrE, as Transparency is not displayed the same way, as with PS, which, by default, will show a grey/white checkerboard pattern. In PrE, it will show as black, though it is transparent - no checkerboard pattern - just nothing, so one sees it as black.

With Titler, the background will be transparent, until something is added to it, to give it some Opacity, such as Type, a Shape, or artwork. With an image editing program, that background will usually be opaque, unless one takes steps to create it with a transparent background, and then Saves it in a format, that supports Transparency, like PSD, PNG, etc.. Most image formats do not support Transparency.

Let us know just a little bit more about your Title, and where and how it was created.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10
                            KoenP2 Level 1

Hi Bill,

First let me confirm with you how much I appreciate your effeorts to help me, I realy like that very much.

The title is made as follows: (unfortunately I have not been able to locate the socalled Titler, but maybe I have used it without knowing that it is called as such. anyway my steps:

1. In the main menu selected Title
                            2. New Title
                            3. Default Stil
                            4. In the tab Project I select Text options and Text styles
                            5. C&P my text into the title (replacing the default Add Text)
                            6. placed the title01 in Videotrack 2 just above the videopicture in Videotrack01 where it should appear
                            7. Faded out the Videtrack01
                            8. Rendered
                            9. Shared

now played the thing in Media Player and the last scene is like picture attached!Screendump37.jpg

See screendump on my message 12:57 o'clock of what I was expecting and shown in the preview.

I notice on the picture in this message that the first 2 letters and the last 2 ot my title message have some kind of fading how can?

Did I maybe apply an unwanted fading to the text and how are you suppose to do that? Dont know this 'feature'

Regards,

Koen

• 11. Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10

In the Titles workspace, did you apply a Text Animation?

Double-click the title to open the Titles workspace. Select the text block and Clear any Text Animations from it.

• 12. Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Koen,

When you chose Title>New Title, you WERE working in the Titler. Unless some of the Panels in Titler have been closed (do not think that PrE allows for much of this, but in PrPro, the Titler has separate Panels, that CAN be closed, if chosen), you should see a little Toolbar, and then the Styles Panel.

Here is a look at Titler from PrE 4.0. It should look very similar in later versions of PrE. Note that the Video at the point of the CTI (Current Time Indicator) shows through below the Title, that I am working on here (Title>New Title>Default Still, which has not been modified yet). If the CTI was on a section of the Timeline, with no Video, the "field" behind the Title would be blank, hence seen as black.

PrE_Titler_02.png

In the case of your Title, I see the same issue on the ends of the Text string, plus it appears that some Effect is being applied near the bottom of the characters.

If I understand what you want for the end result, a Title that comes in (I would use a Cross-Dissolve Transition at the beginning), and then stays on screen, as the Video fades out, then fades out itself, I would remove all Effects and Animations, like the Fade In, or Fade Out, and anything else applied to that Title. With the Title on a Video Track above the Video (on Video Track 1), that fades out via the Opacity Keyframe. Then, add a Cross-Dissolve Transition to the Head of the Title, and one at the Tail also. Note: since the Video will have already faded to black by the Tail of the Title, you could also use a Dip-to-Black, instead of the Cross-Dissolve, but the visual effect should be the same, since everything below that Title has already faded to black via the Opacity Keyframing.

The Duration of those Cross-Dissolves will be per the default, Edit>Preferences>General>Default Still Duration, but remember, you can adjust that Duration to suit by click-dragging on the Transition. Just be careful that you click-drag ON the Transition and not on the Title (or Clip) - can be a bit tough, if one has a high-rez monitor, so click-drag carefully. If you have clicked on the Title, or the Clip, just Ctrl+Z to Undo and try again.

I personally find the Title Animation Presets to be a bit limiting, so seldom use those. They are quick, but limiting.

Also, make sure that you have not added any Effects to your Title, unless you intend to use those. Most Effects that can be applied to a Video Clip, can also be applied to a Title. It almost looks like there is an Effect applied, that is truncating your Text in your example, but maybe I am seeing some form of an Animation Preset, that is just not complete in the still image, that you are showing.

Good luck, and let us know if the above makes sense, and also gets you exactly what you want and need.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10
                                  KoenP2 Level 1

Screendump38.jpg

Hi Bill,

Titler = name of window showing Title, assumed so, although cannot see/nor read that anywhere in my Elements10. Nevermind. The window in Elements10 has an obvious title: Preview + name of title, so in my case you can see on the screenshot:  Preview Title01

Now once more, sincerly I have not applied any fading to the title, at least not to my sincere knowledge, if so I would not know how to do that.

The only fading I have applied is the fading in my main video, which you can see on the screenshot.

I want: Over the last few seconds of my video a title. Unless I dont know why my title shows opaque / non transparent I dont know how to correct. Have removed the title already once and rebuilt the same thing no affect, still title black no transparent picture. Grrrr.

Now heading for dinner.

Best regards,

Koen

• 14. Re: Titel with transparent background - how to do? PE-10

To see the opacity line on the Title clip, you need to expand that track by clicking the ticker on the Track Header (to the left of the timeline.)

To open the title in the Titler, you need to double-click on the title clip on the timeline. Open the Title clip in the Titler and remove the Text Animation.