7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2011 8:28 AM by the_wine_snob

Image size - Aspect Ratio confusion

Paul Dorotich

I have been asked to re-edit a set videos totaling about 7 hours of footage. I have been given 4 DVDs from which I am importing the VOB files into PrePro. When I play the original DVDs on my desktop, the image quality is good, it is in 4:3 ratio, and it occupies most of my 19" wide-screen monitor. When I import the VOB files, these are the properities listed in PrePro:

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 1016.0 MB

Image Size: 720 x 480

Frame Rate: 29.97

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00:48:15:16

Average Data Rate: 358 KB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.9091

I have created some title transitions in After Effects that also use 720x480 preset (NTSC DV) with 0.91 Pixel Aspect Ratio. However, when I playback either the AE titles or the VOB assets from within PrePro, the image size on my monitor is quite small (about 1/4 the size of my monitor) . When I send the sequence to Encore, it also produces a small image.The menu I built using a PSD file (720x480, 72ppi, 10.0"x6.7") however, plays back as a full screen image, the way I was hoping the video would play.

I know there is some incompatibility here somewhere, but I am not sure where the trouble lies. I have read a good deal on-line but keep going around in circles. I understand there are issues regarding pixel aspect ratios and image sizes and I thought I was being careful by selecting 720x480 throughout the projects, but it seems I have missed something. Any advice to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.