3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2011 10:07 AM by pejaka

Reccomended enterprise-class HDDs for RAID0

Colin Brougham Level 6

I need a couple (that is, a pair) of enterprise-class HDDs (or maybe not--you tell me) to set up in a mobo-controlled RAID0. The host system is older, so SATA 3.0Gbps will suffice. Ideally, I need more than 2TB in the RAID0--I'd like 3TB or even 4TB, but whatever is possible is fine. Everything on the drive array will be regularly backed up--I know the risks of RAID0.

I'm guessing I want to go with enterprise-class, given the volatility of RAID0, but if that's not necessary and I can save some bucks, cool.

Thanks for your help, propeller heads

• 1. Re: Reccomended enterprise-class HDDs for RAID0
          RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, Colin, you should use only regular desktop drives for RAID 0 (which is really AID 0, without the R). Why? Because the enterprise drives all have CCTL/TLER/ERC enabled by default, and there is absolutely no easy way to disable the feature. (Sure, there are third-party software utilities available to do this, but they are not currently endorsed or supported by the hard drive manufacturers - nor are they available at all from any of the drive manufacturers.) The CCTL/TLER/ERC feature requires redundancy in order to even work properly - and in a RAID 0, there is absolutely no redundancy at all whatsoever. In that situation, if a drive encounters a read error in one of the drives, the CCTL/TLER/ERC feature will kick in after 7 seconds no matter what (the electronics in the drive will give up), which results in the affected drive being dropped from the array. And since there is absolutely no redundant data in RAID 0, all data in the entire RAID 0 array will become permanently lost. Without CCTL/TLER/ERC, the affected drive will continue to read indefinitely.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Reccomended enterprise-class HDDs for RAID0
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Ah. So... no enterprise drives. Works for me.

Given that, what are some reasonably solid drives for RAID 0? I know it's a crapshoot, no matter what, but I assume some are better than others. I've run Samsung F3 1TBs in RAID 5 in my other system with great success so far; are they OK for this use as well?

Also, is it possible to do a three-disk RAID 0 (or variation thereof)? My mobo has 4 SATA ports, with one of them obviously being used for the boot drive; the computer is old enough that the optical drive is PATA.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Reccomended enterprise-class HDDs for RAID0
              pejaka Level 1

I have had good success with Seagate 7200.12 disks. Your Samsungs are sure equally good. My old HP XW8400 has

six sata ports. I use one for system disk, remaining five for raid0. Read/write about 450-500 MBytes/s