4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2011 10:54 AM by the_wine_snob

Title editing and FX application.

scott_mo Level 1

Hi.

I'm not new to editing but new to editing with Premiere Pro.

I'd like to key frame and control the titles that I create for video. For example I would like to keyframe the kerning so the title's kerning can animate or I'd like to keyframe the opacity. This way I could make the title fade in or fade out. The problem is  that the title creator doesn't have these options and when I double click the title block (to add/edit FX.. like a vid clip) in my sequence it opens the title in the title creator.

Is there a way to edit a title after its created and apply regular FX to it?

AAAAnnd, I would also like to copy and paste the title to other video clips and then change only the words. This way I can design all of the font, size, kerning, opacity shifts, ect. and then copy and paste it 12 times.... Then I would open up the clip separately and edit the text as content without having to do all the design again. This is a faster way of doing it and insures continuity between he credits.

Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Title editing and FX application.
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          I'd like to key frame and control the titles that I create for video. For example I would like to keyframe the kerning so the title's kerning can animate or I'd like to keyframe the opacity. This way I could make the title fade in or fade out. The problem is  that the title creator doesn't have these options and when I double click the title block (to add/edit FX.. like a vid clip) in my sequence it opens the title in the title creator.

Is there a way to edit a title after its created and apply regular FX to it?

You can animate a title just like any other footage item, whether using the on-clip, intrinsic effects, e.g. Motion, or by any applied effect, e.g. Gaussian Blur. However, there is no per-character animation capability like what I think you're requesting. If you have After Effects, you've got all the tools you need there for character animation.

AAAAnnd, I would also like to copy and paste the title to other video clips and then change only the words. This way I can design all of the font, size, kerning, opacity shifts, ect. and then copy and paste it 12 times.... Then I would open up the clip separately and edit the text as content without having to do all the design again. This is a faster way of doing it and insures continuity between he credits.

Is this possible?

Copying and pasting titles doesn't create independent references--they all link back to the original. However, in the Titler, there is a button at the top of the panel that says "New Title Based on Current Title." It essentially duplicates the current title, but creates an independent reference so that changing it doesn't change any in-use instances. Just repeat this for each title you want to use.

What I will often do, especially if I've animated a title in a specific way, is to copy and paste it in all locations needed in a sequence. Then, after creating the new titles using the above, you simply have to hold down the Alt/Opt key while you drag the new title to the instance you want to replace--this will maintain all effects, transformations, and keyframing but replace the clip instance with the new title.

• 2. Re: Title editing and FX application.
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You cannot keyframe properties (like kerning) within the Titler however you can keyframe properties in the Effect Controls for opacity or use a cross dissolve.

If you want to keyframe a title, drag the title from the timeline into the source panel or double on the title while holding Ctrl.

• 3. Re: Title editing and FX application.
              scott_mo Level 1

I'll try these later on this afternoon. I pretty sure I understand your answers.  I'll post again if I have any troubles. Thank you so much!

• 4. Re: Title editing and FX application.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

When doing character (or character string) animation, I like using Layered PSD files, that I create in Photoshop.

Good luck,

Hunt