5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2011 1:35 AM by lister110

what is a ~h invisible indesign

lister110 Level 1

Hi,

I'm checking someones artwork in indesign Cs5. They have used an invisible character which is a forward slash / I copied and pasted this into find and replace (as I need to delete these) and in the field it uses ~h. Can anyone tell me what this is?

lister

• 1. Re: what is a ~h invisible indesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

End nested style, and deleting them is probably a big mistake. Why do you think this is necessary?

• 2. Re: what is a ~h invisible indesign
            lister110 Level 1

well, Im setting up the artwork for Trados translation, its only used in a few small textboxes.

• 3. Re: what is a ~h invisible indesign
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not an expert on translation, but if you remove them, nested styles will not work properly in those text frames. They should not interfere with the making of the .idml file, so unless Trados has a specific problem with non-printing characters, I would suggest you leave them in place, or manually apply the character styles they are controlling.

• 4. Re: what is a ~h invisible indesign
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Peter is most likely 100% correct.*   I'm not a huge Trados fan (although I'm going to have to give up this SDLX workflow eventually ... feh) but if there was a control character in ID that was causing my translation workflow to choke, I wouldn't just go deleting them willy-nilly from our projects. I'd replace them with a placeholder code, and replace the code with the end nested style character when the project was complete.

But since I assume you're going to be doing this in TagEditor anyways: why do you need to delete the end nested style character?

* There's a remote chance that your target language would require this treatment... say, if the nested style defined a bold segment at the beginning of a paragraph, and the syntax of the target language would force the bold/emphasis to some point other than the beginning of the paragraph. In those cases, I'd make custom character styles to take over from the nested style, and only then kill off the nested style characters.

• 5. Re: what is a ~h invisible indesign
                  lister110 Level 1

The original artworker / designer hasn't used these correctly, the text box contains the same style. Perhaps he inherited some text and manually changed the style himself.

cheers