4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 12:23 PM by Vixenley

LoadLibrary Error 998...

Vixenley

Hi there all...

This is my first post on these forums so I'll probably need to appologise in advance to veterans for any obvious gaffs from here on...Anyway, I was running PP 5.5 just fine until yesterday when I clicked the icon and just received the following error message...

LoadLibraryEx Startup.dll failed with error 998: Invalid access to memory location.

So far I've scoured the net without success and have only found one other posting relating to this problem (in these pages, on the Photoshop forum), the answer wasn't conclusive so I spent another hour of frustration today trying to get anyone in Adobe's outsourced 'Tech Support' to answer a phone, after being supposedly transferred to them from 'Customer support'...in the end I gave up and in desparation landed here...you folks could be the last chance this girl has of getting back on track and delivering my project on time, so if anyone knows a straightforward fix for this problem I would be real grateful!...

Thanks in advance

Vix.

• 1. Re: LoadLibrary Error 998...
          Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

There's only a couple of things that come immediately to mind here.  Either a) your disk has errors and files might have been corrupted;  b) a virus has messed with that library; or c) something was recently installed on the system that is messing with the application's ability to load libraries correctly.  You could try to use the System Restore feature to back your machine OS up to a snapshot from yesterday or earlier, see if that puts things back on its feet...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: LoadLibrary Error 998...
            Vixenley Level 1

Thanks for your quick post Wil...

I'm using the Creative suite (production premium) and the odd thing is all of the other modules (AE,Au,Ps etc) all load fine, it only seems to have affected Premiere which by coincidence is the main one I need (naturally)...

I previously tried 'Restoring' from two separate restore points but for some reason it failed at both attempts...I've no idea where to go from there if W7 won't help me out.

After your suggestion I ran AVGagain but it came up clean with no nasties to report...

I've also tried to re-install just the Premier module from the disc but no luck there either...just a bunch of error reports...1x fatal..2x error and a scattering of warnings...

Appreciate your suggestions thus far though...any further thoughts would be much appreciated!...

Vix.

• 3. Re: LoadLibrary Error 998...
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I previously tried 'Restoring' from two separate restore points but for some reason it failed at both attempts...I've no idea where to go from there if W7 won't help me out.

This is for earlier OS's, than Win7, so might not apply there, but I have found that with failures to reset to earlier System Restore Points, if I boot to Safe Mode, and then choose a System Restore Point, things worked very well. Never had any issue with System Restore Points from Safe Mode.

If that does not solve the issue, I would next do a Repair Install for PrPro. Did you install from media, or from a download?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: LoadLibrary Error 998...
                Vixenley Level 1

Hi Bill...

I'm certainly willing to give it a shot re: safe mode thanks for the suggestion...

In answer to your last question, I installed from media (disc(s))...

Thanks also for your imput!...

Vix.

*Update*

Tried running Restore from safe mode as suggested but so far have received the usual popup box citing an 'unspecified error occurred' ...etc...will try again tomorrow after turning off anti-virus...

*Final Update*

Just a final note to maybe help someone else down the line and close this particular thread...It took me a week but in the end I bit the bullet and decided to try uninstalling and re-installing the Premiere Pro module...that just threw up another bunch of errors which, at closer look, seemed to be 'payload' related from the other modules in the suite. Long story short, I uninstalled all the other modules which had dependencies within Premiere. I ignored the advice given me by the Adobe online advisor. He told me I had to 'Deactivate' the product before re-installation. Not necessary. I re-installed and tested each programme in turn from disc, starting with Premiere. The error had corrected itself.... Overjoyed!...

...Thanks again to the guys above for the suggestions....sometimes it's real helpful to just get another opinion!...

Vix.