11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2011 12:53 PM by newwoodworker

Video Card effecting output?

newwoodworker

Does the video car in a computer have anything to do with the quality of the video files Premiere Pro or Encore write to an internal Blu-Ray burner? I can certaily see how the card impacts monitors and such but can it do anything to the actual files being written to the disk?

• 1. Re: Video Card effecting output?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The video card should not have any effect on quality of the Exported files, or an authored disc.

As of PrPro CS 5 (and including CS 5.5), there are other aspects of some video cards to consider, and this ARTICLE, plus its links, might be helpful.

Now, I feel compelled to ask what problem you are encountering.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Video Card effecting output?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know... no, the card does not do anything to the files

• 3. Re: Video Card effecting output?
              newwoodworker Level 1

Keep in mind that I am new this week to HD but so far it seems that what I get on disk is not as good as what I get if I plug the camera into the TV directly.

Maybe I am just looking for a reason to buy a new video card.....

Anyway, I will keep playing. I may have gotten a good tip on a camera setting that might do the files it generates some good as well. I have also been installing a Netgear RAID array ReadyNAS so I am back and forth between four computers all day. More playing over the next few days.

• 4. Re: Video Card effecting output?

>new this week to HD but so far it seems that what I get on disk

Well... are you writing to a BluRay disc or a DVD disc?

If to DVD, you do need to realize that downrezzing HD to SD for a DVD does involve a loss of quality

What is the EXACT source of your HD files, and what are your EXACT output settings

• 5. Re: Video Card effecting output?
                  newwoodworker Level 1

I am away from my stuff right now but I am writing to Blu-Ray disks, the same brand as a buddy of mine that makes super-clear videos for a living. I also am using a blu-ray burner from his stock.

I am bringing in the files right out of my Canon XA10 that is set to the highest quality and I am generating h.264 (?) files at the highest resolution there as well. I hope that explains a bit of this anyway.

• 6. Re: Video Card effecting output?
                    newwoodworker Level 1

I am shooting the footage with a Canon XA10, set on the MXP mode which I believe shoots at 1,920 X 1,080 resolution and 60 FPS. (When I bring these files onto the Premeire timeline I have to select all of them and check the "size to frame" deal or they appear magnafied.

I have been using theH.264 Blu-Ray preset with the 1440 X 1080i 29.97 High Quality and I have left everything else in default as it comes in Premeire.

I shoujld also note that I am running off the H.264videos for each segment of the Blu-Ray disk and then opening Encore and assembling the whole disk there and then burning it on an internal Blu-Ray bwriting drive.

I hope this is the info asked above.

• 7. Re: Video Card effecting output?

>select all of them and check the "size to frame" deal or they appear magnafied

If you have the correct project setting, everything should just automatically fit correctly

See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666?tstart=0

Not at my editing computer, but I use MTS from a Canon Vixia and, with what appears to be the correct setting, my video "just fits, correctly" on the timeline http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0

Of course, since I am going to DVD, there is a tiny bit of difference in the frames... but my DVD quality is FAR higher than when I used a DV500 card to digitize analog video from an 8mm Sony camera

• 8. Re: Video Card effecting output?
                        newwoodworker Level 1

Oh crap! I've just been using the Media broswer to locate the video files and dragging them directly onto the timeline. I assummed that Premeire worked around that file format as that is all I use (the one good point for me so far....

I think that I have a bunch of re-editing to do...... the good news is that i am only 7 minutes or so into this project so I don't have to go jump off a bridge or anything.

THANKS A BUNCH! Now, back to the computer farm upstairs!

• 9. Re: Video Card effecting output?
                          newwoodworker Level 1

I just started a new project, imported the files in as the video showed and the monitor output is way better already!

I think that they shoujld kill that media browser thing or at least how it works. It sure faked me out, or I faked it out or something happened, anyway, on to redoing this video!

Thanks again all.

• 10. Re: Video Card effecting output?

I've never used the Adobe media browser, so can't comment on what it does

I'm somewhat "old school" in doing things myself so I know what is happening, rather than any "auto-magic" routine that may work just fine, but I don't KNOW what it is doing

I copy the folder from the memory chip reader using Windows Explorer (after removing the memory chip from Vixia) so I put the folder exactly where **I** want it to go

I then open PPro and import the file(s) from that folder into my project... the 1st time I used the MTS files I started PPro with the preset for my files, saved that project as a generic name with no actual files inside, and then "forevermore" (no Ravens were harmed in writing this message) I open that blank project and do a "Save As" to create a new project

Having your project/sequence 100% match your video files does go a long way toward having better output

• 11. Re: Video Card effecting output?
                              newwoodworker Level 1

I'm going to forget about the Media Browser and stick to the import deal.

i also download the mts files from the camera and dump them in a folder I make (so I know where they are also) then I Import them into Premeire and if this afternoon is any indication, my HD world just got crystal clear. I'm even impressed with the HDTV I use for a second monitor to see the preview on. Tack on sharp.

thanks again!