3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2011 3:33 PM by Joel Cherney

CS5: Times (T1) being substituted for no apparent reason

CraigJW64 Level 1

This is happening with maddening frequency:

I have an InDesign CS5 document open. I select several items, some of them being text boxes. I copy the items, then tab over to another open document. I paste the items.

For no apparent reason, some of the fonts in the pasted items will spontaneously change to Times (T1), and be highlighted in pink, signifying that I do not have that font installed.

The default font is set as Minion Regular. I have Minion Regular installed on my Mac, naturally. I do not have Times (T1) and I don't think I ever did. I think it has something to do with paragraph styles, but the default Basic Paragraph font is Minion Regular. If it subs anything (and why should it be??) I would think it would default to Minion, not some font I don't even have installed.

Why is InDesign changing my fonts? Is this a bug that has been fixed in CS5.5?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: CS5: Times (T1) being substituted for no apparent reason
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Check your style defintitions. Dollars to donuts Times is in [Basic Paragraph] or some other style in the receiving document. Any styles that are named the same will use the destination doc definitions.

• 2. Re: CS5: Times (T1) being substituted for no apparent reason
            CraigJW64 Level 1

As I said, the default font is Minion Regular. The font set in the default Basic Paragraph style is Minion Regular.

• 3. Re: CS5: Times (T1) being substituted for no apparent reason
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The reason Peter would ask that what you are reporting sounds exactly like a situation where your source document from which you are copying has a different Basic Paragraph style from the document into which you are pasting. So, if you only looked at the Basic Paragraph style in your source doc, it wouldn't tell you anything. I'm perfectly willing to assume that you checked both source and target style definitions, I guess.

However, there are a few other ways to generate similar results - e.g. let's say you have frames defined in your source doc with the Basic Text Frame Object Style - note that this is an object style, not a text style. However, it's possible to specify a paragraph style in an object style, and maybe the Basic Text Frame in your target doc specifies a paragraph style with Times? Something similar can be done with Table Styles and Cell Styles, are there any tables in what you are copying and pasting?

These are, obviously, just guesses. Other guesses (without any evidence to support 'em) might be document corruption (export INX or IDML, re-open and re-save) or remotely possible preferences corruption or application corruption (reset preferences, or reinstall app).

Lastly, if you can (you may be working on something sensitive, or covered with Do Not Distribute flags), you may just want to post a link from which the forum regulars can download your misbehaving InDesign files. Sometimes, what takes dozens of careful messages to uncover can be found in thirty seconds of clicking.