10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2012 3:40 AM by glezete

Seperating 2-page spreads for printing?

RMurphyCPP

I recently have had trouble with printing my booklets.

I am using 11x17 documents and wish to seperate 2 page spreads for printing?

When i currently print it prints the cover page, page 1, seperate but combines the other spreads, with 2 pages per actual printed page.

I seperate the files one by one for printing currently but i want t0 know if i have to do that, because it wastes valuable time.

Is it a problem with the way i am exporting the file?

Please give me your advice as I am open to other ideas to reaching my main goal.

• 1. Re: Seperating 2-page spreads for printing?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Lets start at the beginning. How is the file set up? It should be set up as 8.5 x 11 facing pages. Is that what it is in ID?

Next, are you printing from ID, or from a PDF? If from ID directly, are you using Print Booklet? If from PDF, what settings are you using to make the PDF?

• 2. Re: Seperating 2-page spreads for printing?
            luke_westbrook Level 1

Hi,

I will soon face the same issue, in that my InDesign Book consists of documents all with facing pages.  However, the printer I am going with instructs the following ;

Please do not save the PDF as double page spreads or save each page as individual PDF's - we will be unable to use files supplied in this way.

I'm hoping its a simple setting when creating the PDF to override the facing pages and execute it in such a way that the PDF is compatible for printing, and the consequent aligning of pages in order.

best regards

Luke

• 3. Re: Seperating 2-page spreads for printing?
              Michael Gianino Level 4

When you see two pages side-by-side in an InDesign file which is set up with facing pages, that's just how it looks on the screen. If none of the items on your pages span across both pages of a spread, you can output a multi-page PDF, and each page will be independent. In fact, you could have something that crosses the spine on a spread and still output to single pages, but that's not really the point. The double-page part they are talking about is the ability for you to output (for example) pages 2 and 3, which are side-by-side, as a single page that is twice as wide as a normal single page. They also don't want 32 different one-page PDFs for a 32-page book. Neither of these will be a problem if you export your PDF normally. If you see facing pages in the actual PDF, that may be (probably is) just a viewing option. All of the pages will be singles.

The point I want to make is that you don't have to override the facing pages to make a multi-page PDF.

• 4. Re: Seperating 2-page spreads for printing?
                luke_westbrook Level 1

Thanks Michael...  makes perfect sense now.

• 5. Re: Seperating 2-page spreads for printing?
                  glezete

I'm having a similar problem, but your answer isn't solving it.  I set up my document with facing pages so could have different master pages for left pages and right pages. It's a book (I mean like a book you find in a library, not an inDesign book), so they have different headers (title on one side, author on the other). But my printer (createspace/Amazon) wants a pdf with single pages, not facing pages. If I turn off the Facing Pages option, all the pages assume the left-side master header. How can I get a pdf of single pages that retain the left-right differences? If I export the doc with facing pages, the pdf has facing pages, of course, and there's no way to break them up into single pages, not within the pdf ap.

• 6. Re: Seperating 2-page spreads for printing?
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Just export the PDF and DO NOT select spreads. Make sure you select PDF Print, not interactive.

The way the PDF views is an Acrobat setting and has nothing to do with how you exported the PDF.

Bob

• 7. Re: Seperating 2-page spreads for printing?
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You've set things up correctly. Do NOT undo the facing pages.

All you need to do is export ro PD and make sure that the "spreads" box is NOT checked ( and it is not by default). the PDF will be single consecutive pages when complete.

• 8. Re: Seperating 2-page spreads for printing?
                        glezete Level 1

Thanks, Bob. That did it. So simplem yet so hard to find the information!

• 9. Re: Seperating 2-page spreads for printing?
                          Michael Gianino Level 4

glezete wrote:

Thanks, Bob. That did it. So simplem yet so hard to find the information!

Seriously? Did you read my reply?

• 10. Re: Seperating 2-page spreads for printing?
                            glezete Level 1

Michael: Yes, I read your reply, thank you. But my feeble brain got lost in it, and it didn't seem to be giving me the answer, though now that I go back and untangle it, it kind of does. At any rate, when I said the information was so hard to find, I meant why isn't it in the Help thing for inDeign. Also, it took me a helluva long time to find the right place to ask the question. But I thank you for taking the time to add your solution to the forum. It just wasn't dumed-down enough for me.