7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2011 7:03 PM by the_wine_snob

Remove all gaps

davidtimperley

Is there a way to 'remove all gaps' between footage items in a timeline?

Does Premier have scripts like AE?

Why not?

Someone could then write a script that removes all gaps in a timeline.

• 1. Re: Remove all gaps
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann Bens has done a nice little TUTORIAL on getting rid of multiple gaps. That might be useful to you.

PrPro does not yet have Scripts.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Remove all gaps
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Why not?

Here's where you can submit a feature request:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 4. Re: Remove all gaps
              davidtimperley Level 1

Hiya Todd,

I've done a 'product request' with Adobe before and I'm not a fan of the system.

A user submits a request and then what???

Is there a way to see the list of request so users can add votes, comments, or discussions?

There was no feedback at all when I posted to the request page.

Can't say I'm surprised by this response as I've long thought that the Premier team liked to ignore the users.

It's only since CS 5 that I've had any sort of impression that the Premier team cares about selling product at all!

Lets be honest, Premier 'braked' pretty hard when the guys left to build Final Cut.

I'd rather post in a public forum to see what sort of feedback one gets from the community.

I guess I've been spoilt by the Red camera forums where users are encouraged to feedback to the company and each other.

I'm an AE user and I'm used to a much more energetic development.

What is it with the basic wipes???? There is no soften edge or motion blur. Do I have to use the plugins 'that look like they were ripped straight out of AE' that require me to place the clip in the layers above???

Why does Premier take five times longer to preview a clip from a series of TIFFs then AE?

When I jump to a Sub Comp in AE the CTI jumps to the same relative frame in the subclip. Why doesn't Premier do the same?

I wish the blasted 'generate preview timeline' hot key was the same as AE (0 on the keypad)!

I get that the team doesn't want to spend time building in each and every little feature request, so bolt in a Python scripting engine.

Look FCP isn't FCP any more so go and rip off all the features that were added to it instead of Premier, and steal features from AE (especally their work metadology)

• 5. Re: Remove all gaps
                davidtimperley Level 1

Thanks Bill,

That works :-)

But I think that the Premier team need to come up with a less convoluted process.

• 6. Re: Remove all gaps
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> A user submits a request and then what???

There was no feedback at all when I posted to the request page.

The submissions all get read, caegorized, and added to our feature request database by a member of the Premiere Pro team. Yes, a real person does actually process all of the requests. In fact, he's sitting about 20 meters from me right now.

I'm the one who processes all of the requests for After Effects, by the way.

We only respond when we need more information to understnad the request... or sometimes when the request is for something that you can already do, but the requester just didn't know how.

> Can't say I'm surprised by this response as I've long thought that the Premier team liked to ignore the users.

That's not true at all.

> I'd rather post in a public forum to see what sort of feedback one gets from the community.

I guess I've been spoilt by the Red camera forums where users are encouraged to feedback to the company and each other.

There's nothing wrong with posting in a public forum for conversation, but don't expect that to make the software any better. The people developing the application don't see every post on every forum. But we do see every request made through the feature-request form.

• 7. Re: Remove all gaps
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I cannot argue. PrElements (PrPro's "little brother") has the Delete Gaps function, when one Rt-clicks on a gap. Now, if there are other Clips above (or below), either Video, or Audio, involved, that function does not work, so it is not perfect either.

Just a guess on my part, but with PrPro's Track Targeting, I would think (hope?), that such a function would be able to be implemented, and work perfectly. Remember - just a guess...

Having been a PrPro user for many years, I have seen a much more active role by Adobe, regarding implementation of Bug fixes, and also Feature Requests, as of late. Once, I felt that PrPro was the "red-headed step-child" of the Adobe line up, but great contributors, such as Todd, Wil, Jeremy, Dennis and others, has changed my mind, and in a very good way. I feel that Adobe is listening much better now, and is working very hard to make the program "all that it [SIC] can be." Maybe it took the influx of FCP users, but a change has come, and it's a good one. That rising tide will float all boats.

Keep the faith, file that Featuer Request, and we all might benefit.

Hunt

PS -though I have said it before, thanks to Ann for that tutorial.

[Edit] Oops, forgot Kevin in the above praise to Adobe personnel.