1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 10, 2011 6:42 AM by Ankit_Jain

Adobe X hangs - have to reboot PC

Pablo 31

We have several users using varying types of laptops and desktops and a mixture of version 10.1.0.534 and 10.1.1.33. The problem that appears to be consistent across those experiencing this acrord32.exe hanging and cannot be killed via task manager.

I've been looking at stopping enable protected mode at start up and also disabling the option for automatic updates but have seen other discussions that refer to similar issues having something to do with Visual C++ runtime library. The issue is erratic, after a re-install the software can function for a while and then fail again. Even after installing this manually and not via group policy the issue re-occurs. Does anyone have any experience of this and any suggestions to fix?

• 1. Re: Adobe X hangs - have to reboot PC
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi Pablo 31,

Would it be possible for you to provide me with the crash log for exception that you are receiving. You can do the same by following the below steps:

1. Install WinDbg from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

2. Launch WinDbg via the shortcut

3. Click File->Open Executable

4. Select AcroRd32.exe from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" and hit "OK"

5. Remember to press "g" and hit enter when you encounter the first breakpoint and then you will see a text "Debuggeee is running" and Reader will be launched

6. Open whatever file is it that produces the crash in Reader.

7. When you have successfully reproduced the sceanrio causing the crash/freezing of Adobe Reader X, enter the below command in the WinDbg terminal

.dump /ma c:\temp.dmp (Hit enter)

8. This will produce the crash dump at C:\ by the name of temp.dmp

Could you please upload the dump (compress the dump using WinZip or likewise) at some site and provide the link for the same. I will have a look at the same.

Thanks

Ankit