1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 6, 2011 5:18 PM by peter minneapolis

managing cross-references

ralegates

I'm creating a catalog in InDesign, and I'm adding many cross-references. I'm wondering if there is a better way to use the interface? I have to browse through 250+ titles to find the cross-reference I want to link to, and I can't search or even browse alphabetically. They don't seem to be in any order, and I find myself clicking endlessly searching for the title I need. Is there a better way to do this? It's extremely clumsy. Maybe I'm missing something? Any tips appreciated!

• 1. Re: managing cross-references
          peter minneapolis Level 4

ralegates wrote:

I'm creating a catalog in InDesign, and I'm adding many cross-references. I'm wondering if there is a better way to use the interface? I have to browse through 250+ titles to find the cross-reference I want to link to, and I can't search or even browse alphabetically. They don't seem to be in any order, and I find myself clicking endlessly searching for the title I need. Is there a better way to do this? It's extremely clumsy. Maybe I'm missing something? Any tips appreciated!

What's are "titles?" Heading paragraphs all in one InDesign document? Or, are there 250+ individual InDesign documents managed by an InDesign book panel, each with one or more title/heading paragraph?

In either case, here are a few ideas that may help:

* The paragraphs that appear in the cross-references New Cross-Reference dialog box are in flow order. If the content is in a one threaded series of text frames across page after page, then flow order is simple, like a novel. However, if the pages are laid out with many individual unthreaded text frames, then the flow order, IIRC is from top-left to top-right, then down to the next leftmost and across to the right, ending at bottom-right. But, each page's paragraphs appear in the order of the pages.

* The All Paragraphs setting displays exactly that - all paragraph styles. The paragraphs can be filtered by paragraph style. This may help or confuse. Displaying paragraphs of one style will show them in page-order, but there's no clue about other paragraphs whose styles differ.

* With multiple files in a book, each individual file's paragraphs are in flow and page-order, and the whole collection follows the order of files in the book.

* It's helpful, therfore, to tag the headings with paragraph styles in a consistent way.

* It may be useful to experiment with inserting text anchors in title paragraphs with the New Hyperlink Destination item in panel menu of the Hyperlinks panel. You can insert them in whatever order you like, with any name you like. In the New Cross-Reference dialog box, choose Text Anchor from the Link To area, to see the text anchor names in alphabetic order, rather than the paragraph text.

* InDesign's ability to use multiple windows on different areas of the same document may also be helpful.

For details, Search Google for terms like "InDesign text anchor tutorial," "InDesign cross-reference tutorial," "InDesign hyperlink tutorial," and "InDesign panel menu," without quotes.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices