10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2012 5:40 AM by mondoswank

3d for 3d tv

likes2fly

I use sony vegas for my native side by side 3d footage. I can add numbers,letters,words easly for the pop out effect that can be burned to blu-ray and played back on a 3d tv but sony vegas is pretty limited on 3d add ons. Very time comsuming to move objects other than

text in 3d, depth and pop out of the tv effect.

Sony vegas can use native 3d footage and burn to blu-ray to be used on a 3d tv.

My question is can I use after effects to do the same thing, not just a 3d look but actualy pop in and out of the tv and how to render it for blu-ray. Can I work with true native side by side 3d footage, if not then is there a way to render it in after effects and use in Sony vegas to burn it to blu-ray?

my guess is not because it will be a 2d video clip rendered in after effects.

• 1. Re: 3d for 3d tv
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There are resources for stereoscopic 3D in After Effects here.

After you've worked your way through those resources, feel free to come back with specific questions.

• 2. Re: 3d for 3d tv
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

my guess is not because it will be a 2d video clip rendered in after effects.

You are operating on an awful lot of wrong assumptions. As Todd suggested, read the help. Everything you want is possible in Ae, you will just have to learn how to do it properly.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: 3d for 3d tv
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are some excelent 3D tool tutorials on Adobe TV by Chris Meyer. Here's one to get you started. There are a bunch more at the bottom of the page.

• 4. Re: 3d for 3d tv
                likes2fly Level 1

I have searched in many places for about six months giving up several times. I see you can make cyan and blue glasses version but looking for side by side. The adobe tv link helped and is close to what i'm looking for but I think it points to a different software other than after effects. adobe premiere I think and cineform 3d.

Also what I seen used only left view files and right view files and then it combined them. My 3d camera has both right and left view on the same clip not two sepearate clips.

sony vegas imports and edits it just fine.

I've seen some amazion 3d samples for after effects but they are in anaglyphic (red/blue glasses), but would like to edit and save to a side by side clip then I should be able to import to vegas to attatch to rest of my video i hope or bring my finished clip from vegas into after effects.

I'm really looking for a great intro side by side for 3d tv that I can edit and use with my native 3d footage that is on one clip/file. 3d effects added to some of my footage would be a bonus.

I'm not that great with after effects, I use videohive templates and then bring that into vegas to finish my projects on 2d video but would love to work with 3d in after effects.

after effects is the greatest when it comes to special effects.

Thanks again for all the input and I would really like to here from someone that has done this.

• 5. Re: 3d for 3d tv

likes2fly wrote:

I have searched in many places for about six months giving up several times. I see you can make cyan and blue glasses version but looking for side by side.

. . . Thanks again for all the input and I would really like to here from someone that has done this.

All you have to do is choose side by side as the output. It's right there in the plug-in. And I'm someone that's done this many times and my first 3D project was way before Avatar... way before.

Screen Shot 2011-10-07 at 10.25.41 PM.png

• 6. Re: 3d for 3d tv
                    likes2fly Level 1

thanks for the response. I imported my 3d video and it shows right left but thats because its on one file. Now I cannot seem to get any further. I added 3d channel but do not see 3d glasses option or any way of editing the clip in real 3d, it does not see it as two clips, only one clip. vegas is simalar I just choose side by side ect like your photo shows but I don't see it here. I'm guessing you used two cameras for your 3d footage and that might be the difference.

• 7. Re: 3d for 3d tv

Your workflow is all messed up. You don't set up the 3D channel effect on side by side footage. It's already there.

It might help if I knew what you were trying to do. If it's a simple as adding a title in 3D then create your title as a new normal comp. Add a camera, then follow the first tutorial that I pointed you to. You select Layer>Camera>Create 3D stereo rig. This will set up the necessary comps and camera for your title. Now change the output of the 3D glasses effect to side by side as indicated in the screenshot above. Now drop your 3D side by side footage in the Stereo 3D comp that was created and put it at the bottom. You should have a 3D title over 3D footage.

If you want to do something more complicated than that like make the 3D title interact with the footage and go between objects then you'll have to do some roto, some layering, know the focal length and convergence of your footage, and build a much more complex composition. All the tools are there. The tutorials are there, there are a bunch of 3D resources on the web, but to make your 3D project really look good, to sell the effect, you'll have to get a much better understanding of how 3D works, what convergence is, and how we perceive depth. Good 3D isn't a click or two of the mouse away.

As for rendering for BluRay, just render your 3D stereo comp. You'll end up with the same format you're getting from Vegas. Drop that into your authoring program and go for it.

• 8. Re: 3d for 3d tv
                        likes2fly Level 1

Do you know where I can get some 3d intros?  I'm looking for that pop out effect like in avatar    I can do 3d titles(words are easy) pretty easy in Vegas but I'm looking for the grab you 3d effects I've seen on YouTube but they were all in red/blue format and non downloadable.  I seen one YouTube video that had particles coming out and was really cool but I lost the link.  Have fire shoot from the tv and come out of the tv that kind of stuff. Bubbles butterflies and more.  I can take a second video in Vegas and bring out of the tv but It would be a 2d flat plain and not something that flys out at you. I have one wedding intro that the photo frames come out and go back in the tv but that's not the wow factor that after effects is capable of. 

• 9. Re: 3d for 3d tv

I'd suggest that you look for some tutorials on title effects. Pick ones that use 3D layers or 3D effects, then set up your 2D title project so that it looks really cool. Then follow the instructions I gave above by selecting Layer>Camera>Create 3D Stereo Rig and render your 3D version of the effect. If you don't understand anything about convergence or other basic 3D principals look them up.

• 10. Re: 3d for 3d tv
                            mondoswank

You can also use Emotion3D's SSX1 stereoscopic suite of tools to work with stereoscopic footage.  There is a public release candidate version available for download as a trial, which gives you multiple tools for generating and exporting disparity maps, performing geometric corrections and depth grading and has multiple output options, including for multi-view displays which work without glasses.

http://www.emotion3d.tv/