2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2011 4:54 AM by Steve Grisetti

Will APE upload or convert .vob files from Sony DVD camcorder?

ScampTWD

I have an older verision of Photoshop Elements and am considering updating to the Version 10 combination Photoshop and Premiere Elements.  However, I want to be sure the Premiere can properly accept proprietary video coding from my DCR-DVD403 Sony DVD Camcorder.  I've had a bear finding softeware that can convert this to standard MPEG4 or AVI and am hoping to get an all-in-one package here.

Can anyone give me insight or observations on whether this package will accept or use .vob files from Sony?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Will APE upload or convert .vob files from Sony DVD camcorder?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Scamp,

Welcome to the forum.

As of about PrE 4.0, good VOB support has been included.

Now, for a mini-DVD camera, on thing that goes a long way to compatibility is "Finalizing" the mini-DVD in the camera.

VOB's are a container for MPEG-2 files, but some are "better," than others. This ARTICLE goes into more detail, on using VOB's. Because of the vageries of VOB's, it is not possible to state that ALL VOB's will Import perfectly, but most, if they adhere to the DVD-specs 100%, will. Just choose the HDD Camera Preset for the Project, and all should go well.

Hopefully some users, with your model of Sony, can comment directly, as my statements are very general.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Will APE upload or convert .vob files from Sony DVD camcorder?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Make sure, however, that, if you use this particular format as source video, you begin your project by select settings for a Hard Disk Camcorder. If you don't, you'll run into interlacing problems later.

In addition, you'll get the best results if you put the finalized disc in your computer's disc drive and use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From DVD or PC DVD Drive and rip the files from the disc with the Media Downloader that opens. (Do NOT use third-party software to capture this video.)

I take you step by step how to do this right, with illustrations, in my books, if you're interested.