5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2011 10:25 AM by the_wine_snob

best way to basic correct a video exposure?

Robbie75VR Level 1

I saw different way to make corrections but what is the most popular way to make simple corrections to videos in the timeline ? (exposure, blacks, highlights, contrast, brightness...)

Is there also some nice plugin that makes the operation better than standart video effects ?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: best way to basic correct a video exposure?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Depends on the footage and corrections needed. But do not use anything AUTO.

2. RedGiant's Colorista and Magic Bullet Looks are popular, as is Color Finesse from Synthetic Aperture.

• 2. Re: best way to basic correct a video exposure?
            Robbie75VR Level 1

Thanks Harm!

I do aerial videos, so most of the times highlights to lower, shadows to recover, contrast to adjust...

• 3. Re: best way to basic correct a video exposure?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Harm's plug-in suggestions, I find that Levels (not Auto Levels), RGB Curves, Highlight & Shadow (turn OFF the Auto via checkbox) and the Fast Color Corrector to be very useful at correcting exposure, within limits, of course.

I usually start with Levels and then add Highlight & Shadow, and look to the others, if that does not get me where in need to be.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: best way to basic correct a video exposure?
                Robbie75VR Level 1

Thanks Bill, I agree with you too, and that's what I normally do so far, but the workflow is so long, I would love to have all controls in a single panel, for quicker access, something like in Lightroom where in few seconds you can control all aspects of color and exposure. I'm trying to optimize the time spent on corrections, also I think that having all controls in a single tab can help to get better results.

• 5. Re: best way to basic correct a video exposure?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to explore the Color Correctors in PrPro, starting with Fast Color Correction. Each is a very powerful tool, and can do more than what is normally assumed a pure "color correction."

Then, the plug-ins mentioned above do much the same, and by some folk's impressions, maybe even better and more easily. I think that most/all have trials, so you can see if any fit well into your workflow.

That would possibly keep the controls in one Effect, rather than several. I kind of lean towards the multiple Effects, but them I'm an avowed control freak, so it fits with my personality...

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you are dealing with underexposed footage, and start getting too much video noise, you might want to look into a plug-in, like Neat Video to address that issue. It has saved me many times, though I will warn that the Encoding/Rendering time does go up noticeably.

1 person found this helpful