5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2011 11:02 AM by Steve Grisetti

After inserting narration no audio plays at all from the timeline

tremely Level 1

I have Premiere Elements on 25 computers in my lab, with roughly 130 users.  They all have been using multiple types of audio (audio track as part of a video clip, soundtrack from saved files, smartsound, narration).  For two uers on one computer, and for one user on another computer, we have the following problem.  Everything was working fine until they inserted a narration.  The narration recorded fine and plays back fine.  However, now none of the other audio on the timeline will play.  If I double click on an audio clip it will play in its own preview window, but not when playing the whole timeline.  I tried deleting the narration from the timeline, tried deleting the narration file itself, checked for muting in the mixer and also in the sound control panel, tried deleting the media cache, tried deleting the audio clips from the timeline and re-inserting them, and tried rendering.  Each of these users can open another project file and everything works.  If I open the broken project file on another computer, it doesn't work there either.  So something got changed in that project file, but I can't find what it is.  The audio preferences in Premiere are the same for these project files as the other ones.

• 1. Re: After inserting narration no audio plays at all from the timeline
          the_wine_snob Level 9

We have seen some instances where either the Fixed Soundtrack, or the Fixed Narration Track just messes up. This seems random, and is often not reproducable with any other Projects.

In most (all?) of those cases, moving the Audio FROM either of those Audio Tracks, to another, free Audio Track (even if one needs to create a New Audio Track) fixes the issues.

Most of those reported cases did not affect the other Audio, so this might be something else entirely, but if you have not moved those narration Clips from the Narration Track, as a test, it's what I would try next.

Good luck, and please report on the test,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: After inserting narration no audio plays at all from the timeline
            tremely Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.  It worked, sort of.  I found that the only way I could get audio to play in that file is to add a new audio track.  (Thank you, I hadn't tried that yet!)  What I put in the newly added track will play.  Anything in Audio 1 or Audio 2 will not play, even if the clips in the Narration and Soundtrack tracks are deleted.  This is a workaround that will prevent having to start over, but I'm still wondering how it happened, so I can prevent it in future classes.

• 3. Re: After inserting narration no audio plays at all from the timeline
              the_wine_snob Level 9

What you describe is odd, indeed.

You have already addressed most of the "fixes," that I can think of:

Checking the Audio Mixer for Muted Tracks/Soloed Tracks

Checking that the other Audio Tracks are Enabled

Playing them (you indicate that they work fine, until the narration is added), and all is good.

As PrE mixes down all Enabled, non-Muted Audio Tracks to a Master, things just should work, but for some reason, they are not in your students' cases.

Looking in a slightly different direction, what are the Audio Stream file types for the Clips on Audio 1 and Audio 2, and am I correct that the narration Clip is in WAV format? If anything is MP3, I would convert that to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, with an audio editing program, such as the great, free Audacity, Import that, and replace any MP3's - just to be sure that all is the best that you can get.

Sorry to be rather clutching at straws here, but as I said, the issue is a bit odd.

Good luck, and wish that I had an instant fix for those Projects.

Hunt

Hunt

• 4. Re: After inserting narration no audio plays at all from the timeline
                tremely Level 1

I don't think file types are the problem, as I have other students in the class using the exact same files with no problems.  I believe it is something that those three students did to cause the problem, but in qestioning their process, I couldn't come up with anything, and obviously I wasn't able to fix it after the fact.  At this point I'm happy there is a workaround, and I will try to be a little more proactive about this in the future, telling students that if the sound doesn't play, they should stop and tell me right away.  I may be able to figure out what they did then.  If I figure it out, I will post it here for others who may experience the same issue.

• 5. Re: After inserting narration no audio plays at all from the timeline
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you open the Audio Mixer (under the Window menu) and watch the meters as you play the timeline, do they register audio even if you can't hear it?