13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2011 3:02 PM by prem ashti

How to install fonts from CS3 into CS5?

prem ashti

At work I often need the font DIN which was installed with our version CS3. At home I have CS5 and I do not know how to install the needed fonts. I packed the relevant file with the fonts and other links into a directory but how can I install the fonts at my personal computer using Windows. When using a Mac it was quite easy to install the font, I just click at the font within the directory "fonts" and with another click on "install" I got the font. My PC however asks me which programme I want the file to open with - but which one should it be? It can't be Word, Photoshop, IrfanView or whatever. So what do I do? Can anybody please help me?

• 1. Re: How to install fonts from CS3 into CS5?
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It depends on which version of Windows you have, actually. If you're using Win7 then you can right-click on the font and choose Install. If you're using XP (dunno about Vista, I never touched it) then Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Fonts -> File menu -> Install Font is one way to install the font so that all of your Windows programs can use it. There's also a Fonts folder in your /Program Files/Adobe/InDesign folder where you can just drop the font files and InDesign (but no other programs) will be able to use 'em.

• 2. Re: How to install fonts from CS3 into CS5?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you have a license to use the font at home? If not, you cannot legally install it. CS5 will use it (without installing), however, for any document that has inthe same path a folder named Document Fonts that holds a copy of the font you need.

• 3. Re: How to install fonts from CS3 into CS5?
              prem ashti Level 1

I use Win7 but a right-click on the font does not give me the option to choose install. There ist "open" and some other options like "cut", "copy" and so on. (As I am German and use the German version of Windows and InDesign it is always difficult to describe my actions).

• 4. Re: How to install fonts from CS3 into CS5?

Well, Peter's response is actually more accurate than mine - an easy way to use the font, and the licence-related reason why you (probably) shouldn't.

In addition, neither of us pointed out that some file formats of Mac font can't be used on Windows. This may also be why you can't right-click and install; what's the file name?

• 5. Re: How to install fonts from CS3 into CS5?
                  prem ashti Level 1

I do not have a license. This is the first time I tried to work at home with a file I started at work.

If I need to buy the font I would rather continue working with the file at work.

CS5 did not use the font (without installing), also I had it included in the folder Document Fonts. That is my problem.

• 6. Re: How to install fonts from CS3 into CS5?
                    prem ashti Level 1

The file names are DIN Bold and DIN Medium.

Some time ago when I had still CS3 at home at my PC installed too, I could open a file which I had transferred from the Mac at work without any problems with fonts. Therefore I do not think that the problem is Mac vs PC related.

• 7. Re: How to install fonts from CS3 into CS5?

I believe you would need to be logged in to the PC as an administrator to install the font. What is the Font format? TT, T1, or OpenType?

>> CS5 did not use the font (without installing), also I had it included in the folder Document Fonts. That is my problem.

I don't think you entirely understood what I was saying about the Document Installed Fonts feature. In order to work, the fonts must be in a subfolder of the folder that ho;d the .indd file, and that subfolder must be named Document Fonts. You will not see these fonts listed for creating new files -- document installed fonts ONLY work with an existing file, and only when included as described, and on PC only if they are PC-compatible. Using the Package command to gather the fonts on the Mac will set up the structure correctly.

• 8. Re: How to install fonts from CS3 into CS5?

Well.. there are many different kinds of font files out there. Some of them advertise the type of font in the filename, e.g.

DINBold.otf

DINBold.ttf

DINBold.pfm

DIN.dfont

DIN.ttc

and so on.

Others, typically Mac fonts, don't have a file extension that tells us what kind of file it is. Of those Mac fonts, there's one kind that you can't use on Windows at all, because when you look at it in Windows the size is zero kilobytes. The fact that, at some point in the past, you moved a file from Mac to Windows without font problems does not make a platform-compatibility problem any more or less likely - perhaps it was all set in fonts you already had installed at home. The fact that right now it doesn't work in the Document Fonts folder makes me believe that you may have a Mac font resource fork problem - that's what would make the filesize 0k. If your fonts don't have file extensions (or if you have file extensions hidden by Windows, which is the way Win7 works by default) then you can't really know what kind of font file it is. Looking at the Properties of the font file will tell you, though.

Lastly: since you don't own an (extra) license for the font, you'd be ripping off the font developers by installing it on your home computer, although obviously not intentionally.

• 9. Re: How to install fonts from CS3 into CS5?
                          prem ashti Level 1

You are right, the filesize gives me 0. I did not realize it.

Have you got any idea how I can possibly work at home with a file from work and put it back to the Mac at work? I do otherwise not need the font DIN so I do not want to buy it (and surely I do not want to rip off anybody) but changing the font at home and then changing it back at work would be a problem as I need to know how much space my text occupies and if this changes because of the font my work at home would be useless. Is there any solution for this?

• 10. Re: How to install fonts from CS3 into CS5?

You can make edits with the font missing. You just won't be able to see the text fitting until you get back to work. The font should appear in the list in parentheses, and if it's in a style you are using it will be applied automatically.

• 11. Re: How to install fonts from CS3 into CS5?
                              prem ashti Level 1

Joel was right, I don't know the format of the file. It's a Mac font.

And you are right that I did not understand you correctly. My English is not so well and my knowledge of computer related issues is even worse.

I think I did use the package command (the German word is "verpacken", I thought "pack" is the English equivalent) but obviously this did not help me as the font is a Mac font and not compatible with my Windows computer.

I do not really to want to install the fonts on my computer but a correct display of it is necessary so that I can work with the files from work at home.

• 12. Re: How to install fonts from CS3 into CS5?

The only way it will look correct is if the same version of the font in a Windows comaptible format is availble, either installed or in the the Document Fonts folder. There is no other option.

• 13. Re: How to install fonts from CS3 into CS5?
                                  prem ashti Level 1

Thank you for your kind help.