8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 6:09 AM by DalePh

Upgraded to 10, is it ok to uninstall premiere 9?

bernieraffe Level 1

Hust upgraded to Premiere v10 from v9, but it's left v9 on my Win 7 PC.

Everything appears to be working ok in v10, so am I safe in uninstalling v9?

Just being ultra-careful here!!

Cheers,

Bernie

• 1. Re: Upgraded to 10, is it ok to uninstall premiere 9?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bernie,

About the only reasons to keep PrE 9 around would be:

• If you have PrE9 Projects to finish
          • To use, while you learn and explore what has changed in PrE 10

Otherwise, you should be able to Uninstall PrE 9, with no ill effects.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Upgraded to 10, is it ok to uninstall premiere 9?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When in doubt (and every 2-3 months "just because") make a full, restorable, picture of your boot drive to USB hard drive

Hardware crashes or virus infections or simple software problems happen, so you should buy AND USE software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... plus, making step-by-step backups during a new install or major program addition makes it easy to go back a step if something doesn't work

This backup and then restore is, of course, only to the same computer with a new drive (or the same drive as long as you don't mind writing over everything) since doing a restore to a new computer won't work due to Windows and many programs having activation information that is keyed to your hardware (which is why Windows will force you to RE-Activate if you change very much hardware)

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

• 4. Re: Upgraded to 10, is it ok to uninstall premiere 9?
              DalePh Level 1

Unfortunately, Premier elements 10.0 has several installer bugs as it relates to machines wiht previous versions of Premier Elements installed.

1. It doesn't upgrade the old version of Premier Elements. Doesn't notice. Doesn't tell you. Doesn't warn up of the upcoming problems.

2. If you later choose to uninstall the older version of PE, then that PE corrupts the install of PE 10. Just for starters, the premier element (prel) files are no longer associated with Premier Elements.

3. If you then choose to re-install or do a "repair" install of PE 10...you can't. Adobe doesn't have that. 5 years after its possible. Do you have to completely uninstall PE 10 and then reinstall it.

I am having a horrible first day experience with Premier elements 10.

• 5. Re: Upgraded to 10, is it ok to uninstall premiere 9?
                bernieraffe Level 1

Oh no, that's exactly the sort of thing I was afraid of when I first posted. As I didn't get any replies from anybody who had actually done it, I decided to play it safe in the end, and not un-install PE9.

Just as well!

Sorry to hear about your experience, please keep us updated.

Bernie

• 6. Re: Upgraded to 10, is it ok to uninstall premiere 9?
                  DalePh Level 1

About an hour was needed to unpack the files, uninstall, reboot, reinstall, reboot, and now I have Premier Elements 10 installed.

This is 100% squarely in the failure of the testing and documentation team.

1. If you didn't test it, then PUT in the readme file that co-existing PE is untested. That...instead of your misleading and confusing, "you can have two installed but don't run to of them".

2. If you tested uninstall and know it has this problem, THEN WARN PEOPLE in the readme or as your setup.exe is starting. Simple stuff.

Its sloppy work.

• 7. Re: Upgraded to 10, is it ok to uninstall premiere 9?
                    Install_Guru Adobe Employee

Premiere Elements has never supported "upgraded" older version of software feature. As far as your corrupt PRE 10 issue(after uninstallation) is concerned, could you please elaborate on what exact problems you are facing after uninstallation of PRE 9. I have tried on my end and I am able to successfully launch PRE 10  after uninstallation of PRE 9.

Thanks & Regards,

Gaurav Gupta

• 8. Re: Upgraded to 10, is it ok to uninstall premiere 9?
                      DalePh Level 1

I've posted details on the PE10 installation problems at http://forums.adobe.com/message/3970685

Link instead of duplicate posting here.