13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 7:06 AM by Harm Millaard

Very slow encoding after upgrade from 5.03 to 5.5 with MXO2 mini

lilactime2000

Hi all.

After upgrading from CS5.03 to 5.5 my encoding now takes 5 times as long. A 2 minute HD Video file would take 2 minutes, and still does on the PC I haven't upgraded (identical almost) but now with CS5.5 it takes almost 11 minutes.

Some explanation....

I create HD MJPEG files on a PC with Blackmagic Decklink.

I transfer these files to an HPz800 which used to run CS5.03 with Matrox Utils 5.1.1.37 and an MXO2 Mini with Max. (Nvidia Quadro fx4800 and 12GB of RAM)

On a Blackmagic timeline HD 1080i MJPEG with filters of Auto Color, Fast Color Corrector and Gamma correction a 2 minute timeline would encode in 2 minutes give or take a couple of seconds.

Now with CS5.5 and Mtx 5.5 an identical file takes 11 minutes to encode to Microsoft avi - Matrox 1920 x 1080i - 25fps.

If I remove the filters (which I need to be able to use) it will come down to 2 minutes as it used to be.....so it seems to be the filters are now slowing things down when they never used to. I have never rendered before exporting. Ever. So this time I tried rendering first and it brought the 11 minutes down to 7 minutes but when taking into account the 4 minutes rendering time I am no better off.

I have updated CS5.5 to CS 5.5.1 and MTX Utils to 5.5 and then 5.5.1 and it makes no difference. Still 11 minutes to decode 2 minutes with three filters, which is exactly what I have always been doing but now it doesn't work....

Can anybody help? or make a suggestion as to why using filters in 5.5 now multiplies the encode time by 5 when it never used to. Everything else bar Matrox Utils on this machine is as it was before the upgrade to 5.5 and as I say my older machine is still 5.03 it can do it all in 2 minutes even with the filters intact.

So have I really spent a small fortune upgrading to make my output 5 times slower. Not happy......

• 1. Re: Very slow encoding after upgrade from 5.03 to 5.5 with MXO2 mini
          Jim_Simon Level 9

Is it possible the old install has GPU acceleration turned on and this one doesn't?

• 2. Re: Very slow encoding after upgrade from 5.03 to 5.5 with MXO2 mini
            lilactime2000 Level 1

I wish that were correct, I really had my hopes up for something simple that I had stupidly missed, alas no luck it is set to Mercury Engine GPU acceleration.

I am assuming that is the only place that this preference can be set, when you start up a new project and it offers software or GPU acceleration.......

• 3. Re: Very slow encoding after upgrade from 5.03 to 5.5 with MXO2 mini
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Well in the past on CS5, the Matrox AVI file writer overwrote or changed the Microsoft AVI file Writer or atleast what Premiere was referencing and the AVI encode times would be significantly longer than they are normally without the Matrox Tools installed whether you exported to a Matrox AVI file or Microsoft. I never did narrow that down to effects or such. I just recorded the difference in export times. What I can tell you is the caching in CS5.5 has changed and some codecs have been effected negatively such as Mpeg2 when it comes to export performance. I have not tested the Microsoft codecs to see what effect the different caching has had on them. However this definitely sounds like frame caching since filters would require more data/ram space. I would open up a bug report with Matrox and see if they can isolate it down to something inside of 5.5.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Very slow encoding after upgrade from 5.03 to 5.5 with MXO2 mini

Actually I was thinking on the way home and had some thoughts if your willing to test.

1. Export to AVCIntra or another MXF based codec and see what the export times are.

2. Make a Restore point in Windows. I am not a big fan of installing multiple players/transcoders or codecs because eventually you will overwrite files used by other players and cause issues with Premiere, Encore, or Media Encoder.

3. Download and install this - http://www.windows7codecs.com/. Make sure you shut down Premiere or any other Adobe Application when you do. Open Premiere again and run the export to Microsoft AVI again.

4. If the results do not change then download and install VLC player once again making sure Adobe is shut down. Then run the export again to Microsoft AVI.

Let me know if you record any changes to the export times.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Very slow encoding after upgrade from 5.03 to 5.5 with MXO2 mini
                  lilactime2000 Level 1

Well I have tried everything as suggested, from both this board and the Matrox board. A complete Re-install in a very specific order, changes of codecs both various and specific.

The nub of the problem still exists, a Matrox HD 1920 x 1080i encode from Blackmagic MJPEG HD 1920 x 1080i originals takes 5 times longer with Auto Color, Fast Color Corrector and Gamma correction than it does when there are no filters. This was not the case with any of the CS5.0 programs.

How can this problem be bypassed or stopped completely and what is causing it?........So Frustrating as this is a job that need performing 7 days a week and if 2 hours of cinefilm takes 10 hours to decode it will cost me a fortune on top of the money wasted on CS5.5......

• 6. Re: Very slow encoding after upgrade from 5.03 to 5.5 with MXO2 mini
                    Alan Craven-Y3Asuo Level 1

No consolation for you, I know, but I have found exactly the same.  I am not working with Blackmagic captured files. but with .

My Matrox I-frame1920x1080 50i were obtained by using standard adobe capture with screen detect to give me the clip in/out points, then using these to capture the Matrox .avi files using the MXO2 HDMI input.

I also find that 5.1.1 is even slower than 5.5.

• 7. Re: Very slow encoding after upgrade from 5.03 to 5.5 with MXO2 mini
                      lilactime2000 Level 1

So what's going on in CS5.5 that puts the brakes on the MXO2 doing it's encoding job properly, the job it was bought for, realtime encoding.

• 8. Re: Very slow encoding after upgrade from 5.03 to 5.5 with MXO2 mini
                        Alan Craven-Y3Asuo Level 1

I am afraid that it is more likely to be "What is going on in Matrox .....?"

There is a second major problem too - .264 files created using the Matrox MAX feature which are larger than around 3 GB cause Encore 5.1 to freeze when imported (with Encore 5 they are OK).  Matrox are blaming Adobe here, but I feel that the problem is more likely to lie within the Matrox encoder - the files it produces are not fully Blu-ray compliant.

• 9. Re: Very slow encoding after upgrade from 5.03 to 5.5 with MXO2 mini

Well I would definitely open a Bug report with Matrox then. I was thinking it might be the Direct Show integration that was causing that and I was hoping Adobe or Matrox just pulls from Windows Media Player for that. Evidently it is not that or they dont do that. This is most likely something tied to the Matrox Tools and Adobe's current MPE memory caching but I have no idea beyond that.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: Very slow encoding after upgrade from 5.03 to 5.5 with MXO2 mini
                            lilactime2000 Level 1

To go further, every single encode that I have done is slower than it was before with CS5.01 or 5.03.

This is odd because going from Blackmagic to any other codec doesn't necessarily need the Matrox box or Matrox utils

Blackmagic HD or SD to

Matrox HD

QT HD MP4

QT SD DV25

DV AVI SD

Mpeg2 - DVD

Every single encode is slow by 2x to 6x.

Why should Blackmagic HD to QT MOV MP4 take twice as long as it used to...... having said that The speeds I am seeing now are what it was like before I attached the box in the first place, whether a Matrox codec was involved or not.... It is acting like a blocked funnel. when it used to be a lovely wide and clear funnel.

Anyway Matrox have reproduced the problem and are investigating, so hopefully there will be an answer soon....

• 11. Re: Very slow encoding after upgrade from 5.03 to 5.5 with MXO2 mini

As stated in the previous post, the caching model has changed in CS5.5 and it varies from codec to codec as to whether the export time increased and by how much.

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: Very slow encoding after upgrade from 5.03 to 5.5 with MXO2 mini
                                lilactime2000 Level 1

Just to follow up.....working with CS5.5, CS 5.5.1 & 5.5.2

Nothing, absolutely nothing I did, installing, re-installing, updating to any new driver and mixing and matching old with new has enable me to get the Matrox .avi encoding to go faster than 6x.

I uninstalled everything and went back to CS 5.01 with Mtx Utils 5.11 and everything works perfectly again, Matrox HD files at quicker than realtime, saving me Hoursssss of time.

So the upshot is I have wasted £500 on buying CS5.5.

Any progress on finding out if there is a solution to get the sole reason I bought a second Matrox MXO2 mini  running at proper speed?

Then I wasted £500 on CS 5.5, can I have a refund please?

• 13. Re: Very slow encoding after upgrade from 5.03 to 5.5 with MXO2 mini
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

You got it wrong, you did not waste your money on CS5.5, you wasted it on Matrox. You should have known better than to buy anything Matrox, because this has been a practice of Matrox for many years. They may improve their drivers for CS5.5 by the time CS6 is out and again you can't upgrade to CS6, because Matrox is again lagging with support for CS6.

L'histoire se repête...

The best use for anything with the name Matrox, is to use it for the purpose that the engineers designed it for: As a doorstop.