3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2011 2:30 PM by Tuk70

Extract crashing on large sequence

Tuk70 Level 1

I'm testing the move from fcp to ppro. I have a version of cs5 but it won't open the FCP7 xml's , so I downloaded a trial of 5.5 to play around.  I imported a 90 minute long-form doc, no fancy AE, but lots of tracks, 6 vid/ 14 audio.  Just trying to make a basic ripple delete, which I guess is the "extract." command. Problem is that PPro crashes (almost) every time I do it.  I finally moved to the end of the timeline and extracted, and it worked, kept moving my way back in the timeline, and when I got to about hallf-hour (one hour in/half our left on timeline), it crashed again.  I'm using the extract icon to do it; had tried it with my re-mapped key.  Both results crashing. Lift works fine.  Running a 2x293 Quad Core Mac Pro, Radeon 5870, 16Gb RAM.  

• 1. Re: Extract crashing on large sequence
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Greetings, potential convert!

It sounds like you might have a corrupted media clip somewhere in

your sequence that is refusing to be cut by the 'extract' command.

Is all of the media linked in your Premiere project?

I finally moved to the end of the timeline and extracted, and it worked, kept moving my way back in the timeline, and when I got to about hallf-hour (one hour in/half our left on timeline), it crashed again.

You can possibly use this method to zero in and isolate the clip that is causing the crash.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: Extract crashing on large sequence
            Tuk70 Level 1

All clips appear to be online.  Isolated a section after a dozen more crashes, but couldn't see anything wrong with the media.  Went to a different timeline, made a cut, and yet another crash.  Not a promising start.  

Is the system generally "crashy" with large projects; I had read on a doc forum that projects over a half-hour were a problem.  I'm beginning to agree.  Even if it is corrupted media, I never encountered crashes for this reason with fcp (it would crash for other reasons, but that's a different story...), whether clips were offline or corrupted, I could still cut.

• 3. Re: Extract crashing on large sequence
              Tuk70 Level 1

Just noticed this thread, http://forums.adobe.com/message/2260369#2260369

so the problem may well be trying to edit in imported fcp xml file projects.