5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2011 9:48 AM by Jim_Simon

Audio is loud and unstable on export

Sephirex

Hi, I'm pretty good with editing and have been doing it for years but I've only switched to Premiere Pro in the past few months.

For some reason, when I export my video, the audio balancing I've done in the editor goes out the window and now my audio is unstable and constantly fluctuating on the exported file. I don't know why this is happening, it didn't sound that bad while I was editing.

Anyone know what is the cause of this/how to fix it?

• 1. Re: Audio is loud and unstable on export
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you give us a bit more info please?

I'd start with the Sequence and your Source Footage, then list the work done to the Audio. Last, the Export settings might yield something, that others can seize upon to offer some suggestions.

Thanks for that info, and good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio is loud and unstable on export
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Most often the fault lies with some type of 'normalization' or 'volume leveling' active in the media player used to play back the file.

• 3. Re: Audio is loud and unstable on export
              Sephirex Level 1

Well I'm exporting in MP4 format and it automatically puts the audio as AAC or AAC+Version1 or AAC+Version2 if I want to change it. Might that have anything to do with it?

I am editing the audio in Premiere, only through its volume. I'm using recordings from several people and, of course, they all aren't the same volume, I'm merely balancing them in Premiere. Any actual changes I make to the audio are done separately in Audacity. Also, question, are the Audio Mixer settings factored into the export or is that just to help though editing?

It's not the player that's the probelm. Before posting this, I played it in different players, plus uploaded it to Youtube (I unfortunately can't link you because it's only a private beta version which I'm sharing with the cast to show them how the video is coming along) and the sound was still unstable and constantly in a flux of ocassionally going loud and then too quiet. Again, this isn't present when I'm actually editing it...

• 4. Re: Audio is loud and unstable on export
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For the Audio Mixer question, through the use of Sends, it writes Track Keyframes (not Clip Keyframes), and will (or at least should) be incorporated into the Exported file. This ARTICLE goes into more detail on ways to adjust the Volume (or the Gain) of Audio in PrPro.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Audio is loud and unstable on export
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Might that have anything to do with it?

No, the format chosen won't change the mix.

Yes, the Mixer settings will be applied to the export.