10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2011 7:19 PM by Steve Grisetti

PrE10

Koscieliska Level 1

I would like to know your opinion on PrE10 before buying it. PrE9 - in my opinion - was a bit of a flop and, although I have it, I am still using PrE8. What new features are offered in PrE10?

• 1. Re: PrE10
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For the new features in PrE 10, Steve Grisetti's FAQ Entry might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PrE10
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And I happen to be a big fan of version 10. I think it's the most stable, quickest loading build in a long time. Especially on Windows 7 64-bit.

What are you comparing it to, Koscielska? Another version or another program?

I guess my review depends on what kind of camcorder your video is coming from and what you plan to do with the finished video. But it's certainly my go-to editing program -- for lots of subjective reasons.

• 3. Re: PrE10
              Aus2Mossy

I just installed 10 yesterday after running 9 for a few weeks. I'm finding that 10 means a lot of waiting. Every time I try to do anything I get the spinning wait icon for minutes. I'm running a 2.93GHz dual core Mac with OSX 10.6 and 8Gb of RAM, so way above the minimum specs. Looking to find some way to speed things up as this happens even when nothing else is running on the machine.

• 4. Re: PrE10
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Depending on what material you are working with, a Duo-Core CPU might not even be close to being adequate. With AVCHD, or other flavors of H.264, I would recommend a fast i7, as the minimum CPU.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PrE10
                  Koscieliska Level 1

I have found PrE8 very good and PrE9 not so (funny ways of clips appearance on timeline - why?;v PrE8 was much better in this). Stability is not a problem. The question is what is REALLY new and improved.

• 6. Re: PrE10

And, of course, as we remind people daily on this forum, much depends on a) the type of camcorder you're getting your video from and 2) if you've chosen the correct set-up options for that particular video format.

The FAQs to the right of this forum detail the improvements in version 10.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/904360

• 7. Re: PrE10
                      Aus2Mossy Level 1

Using the same files from a project I was ediiting in PRE9 with the same settingson the very same Mac I get a much slower, almost unuseable, response in PRE10.

• 8. Re: PrE10

That's possible. But what kind of camcorder did they come from and how did you get the video into your computer? And which settings did you use to set up yor Premiere Elements project.

I do have an issue with MOVs captured from a miniDV camcorder. They don't load as well as they did in version 9.

However, you should see much improved performance with AVCHD footage in a properly set up project.

• 9. Re: PrE10
                          Koscieliska Level 1

Most of responses to my original question regarding PrE10 seems to be not thoroughly optimistic. Yes I know, it depends on camcoder and the format (AVCHD). I happen to have a SONY camcoder using AVCHD format. So what improvements will I see comparing PrE10 with PrE8 (my favourable) and PrE9.

• 10. Re: PrE10

You should see great improvement, as I've said. AVCHD performance was one of the things Adobe focused on this go-round.

But why not download the free trial and see how your system performs with it. All reviews are going to be subjective. Ultimately it only matters how it fits your workflow.