6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2011 9:26 AM by Tetractys

Adobe Store takes too long to deliver download and serial information

Kevin Quigley

Earlier this week we received some Indesign files for a job, but they were in Indesign 5 format, so we were unable to open them with Indesign CS4. So, taking this as a sign that it was time to upgrade, yesterday, at around 1pm UK time I purchased the upgrade from Creative Suite Design Premium 4 to Creative Suite Design Premium 5.5. I logged onto the Adobe.com store, looked at the options - Home and Home Business, Small and Medium Business, Eductation and selected Small and Medium Business (because that is what we are). I purchased the upgrade (as a download), received a confirmation email from Adobe and waited....and waited...and waited. At the end of the day I called Adobe Custopmer support and asked why I have not had any email showing links to download sites, and serial numbers. I was told it can take 24 hrs to process the order.

Well here we are over 24 hrs later and I have still not had any information from Adobe. I tried calling the customer support and it is only open between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday. The customer support website is down. The Adobe Volume Licensing site is down - and was all day yesterday as well.

In the meantime I have no way of opening the files. My deadline is Wednesday and we had planned to work on the job today and tomorrow (which is why I am sitting in my office now). It appears I cannot access customer support before Monday morning, and the customer support website is down until tomorrow evening UK time - at least. This means working all night on Monday and probably Tuesday - assuming we get access to the download information early Monday.

Adobe is one of the biggest software vendors in the world. When I buy software - online and for download, with a credit card - I expect to be able to access the software immediately. There is no excuse for this delay. None. A business the size of Adobe should not have customer services down for 2 days. Support should run 24/7, 365 days a year. My enquiry yesterday was routed to an offshore call centre, so having a 9 to 5 cut off is simply ridiculous.

The simple fact is that even the smallest software vendors we buy from deliver the goods within minutes. As you can tell I am mightily "annoyed" by this. At this point in time I am wishing these files were in Quark Xpress format (we have both). Quark used to have terrible support but they are now very good - and available.

As a customer of Adobe for over 15 years I am disappointed. Today, in my email inbox I have emails from Adobe about new online cloud services. Well, why would I want to invest any more in Adobe software if I cannot even access the ones I have bought - quickly?

If companies like Adobe want to know why piracy is rife - look at your own delivery systems. The only option I have now to do this job is to either download a pirated version (which I will not) or to download and run the trial for Indesign.  How stupid is that?

Apologies for the rant.

• 2. Re: Adobe Store takes too long to deliver download and serial information
          Kevin Quigley Level 1

Thanks, have tried earlier, nothing back yet.

• 3. Re: Adobe Store takes too long to deliver download and serial information
            ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Kevin Quigley wrote:

... selected Small and Medium Business (because that is what we are). I purchased the upgrade (as a download), ...

Well here we are over 24 hrs later and I have still not had any information from Adobe. ...

In the meantime I have no way of opening the files. My deadline is Wednesday ...

Hi Kevin, not sure why it's taken longer than usual, but you can just download the free trial in the meantime.  It will work 100% for 30 days, and you can convert it over to the full version once you receive your permanent serial number without reinstalling.  This is fine even with a business license.

There's really no reason not to proceed in this fashion, especially with an imminent deadline.  Adobe recommends this in cases where there is any sort of delay (for example, student validation) or immediate need.  And absolutely you should avoid downloading the software from anywhere else, which is not only illegal but also hazardous to the health of your computer (malware).

Hope this helps!

• 4. Re: Adobe Store takes too long to deliver download and serial information
              Phillip M Jones Level 4

ProDesignTools wrote:

Kevin Quigley wrote:

... selected Small and Medium Business (because that is what we are). I purchased the upgrade (as a download), ...

Well here we are over 24 hrs later and I have still not had any information from Adobe. ...

In the meantime I have no way of opening the files. My deadline is Wednesday ...

Hi Kevin, not sure why it's taken longer than usual, but you can just download the free trial in the meantime.  It will work 100% for 30 days, and you can convert it over to the full version once you receive your permanent serial number without reinstalling.  This is fine even with a business license.

There's really no reason not to proceed in this fashion, especially with an imminent deadline.  Adobe recommends this in cases where there is any sort of delay (for example, student validation) or immediate need.  And absolutely you should avoid downloading the software from anywhere else, which is not only illegal but also hazardous to the health of your computer (malware).

Hope this helps!

Acrobat has never had a Trial for Mac. Probably never will.

• 5. Re: Adobe Store takes too long to deliver download and serial information
                Kevin Quigley Level 1

Thanks for the feedback. Just to say I am downloading the apps now. There have been several issues I have discovered.

1. The customer support system was out of action all Saturday and Sunday.

2. The Volume Licensing site has been down all Friday, Saturday and Sunday - it came on this morning at EXACTLY 9am UK time.

I am sure the trial option works - if you have not already installed a trial and run it for 30 days on the same machine. But my main point is that there is no excuse for having a licensing site out of action for 3 days, and a 3 day turnaround on issuing new licenses. I buy a lot of software, and even the smallest companies seem to manage verification, license issue and download links within the hour, 24/7.

BTW I don't use pirated software - as I clearly stated - my point was that it is ironic that someone who does use it has access to the system before a paying customer. That is what I find unacceptable. That, and the fact that customer support telephone lines only operate 9 to 5 on weekdays - yet the sales ones operate more.

• 6. Re: Adobe Store takes too long to deliver download and serial information
                  Tetractys

My solution was to cancel my order for upgrades today to two Adobe products. This plus many other gripes about Adobe in general are the last straws. I've been less and less enamored of Adobe as a corporation for quite a while, and as a long-time customer, I'm now pursuing other options. Any company that doesn't spit back serial numbers for online purchases, but makes you wait days doesn't deserve to keep its customer base. Again, I cancelled two orders today, and won't be placing any more with Adobe.