11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2013 11:23 AM by mantiboa892

Why does the DNG converter not convert?

MarrissaAL Level 1

Why doesn't the dng converter say "there was an error parsing the file"? Why does it not convert my raw files?

• 1. Re: Why does the DNG converter not convert?
          Level 4

Corrupted file(s)?

• 2. Re: Why does the DNG converter not convert?
            MarrissaAL Level 1

No it can't be because it says that with every single RAW file I try but then I can open them at my colleges computer through there dng converter but not mine??

• 3. Re: Why does the DNG converter not convert?
              Greg Barnett Level 2

Have you tried reinstalling the converter? Do you have the latest version? Do the unconverted original raw files open ok on your computer? Perhaps a hardware issue?

• 4. Re: Why does the DNG converter not convert?
                Level 4

MarrissaAL wrote:

No it can't be because it says that with every single RAW file I try but then I can open them at my colleges computer through there dng converter but not mine??

That doesn't guarantee that the files you have transferred to your college computer are necessarily identical to the ones on your computer.  Try copying them to a flash drive and try those copied files on the same USB flash drive on both computers.

Or you could post one of the files you can't open to a free service like yousendit.com and post a link here so that others can take a look at it.

Also, as Greg suggests, make sure you have the very latest version of the DNG Converter.

• 5. Re: Why does the DNG converter not convert?
                  MarrissaAL Level 1

So you're saying even though they are all on a SD Card and I put the same SD Card into both computers it might not be identical?

Alright, I tried to download the newest DNG converter but it says like it's not supported or something like that.. I have an older Mac I think it's like a 2006 but it has Mac OS X software??

• 6. Re: Why does the DNG converter not convert?
                    Level 4

MarrissaAL wrote:

So you're saying even though they are all on a SD Card and I put the same SD Card into both computers it might not be identical?…

No.  I never said that.  You had not specified how you were transferring the files to the other computer.  Geeez…

What?  You are pointing the software to the SD card? ??? !  That is insane!

First copy the raw files to your local hard drive, preferably through a card reader and not through the camera connected to your computer.

I can't help you any further until you post details over your setup, including the exact model of your Mac, the exact version of the DNG Converter and the exact version of the OS.

• 7. Re: Why does the DNG converter not convert?
                      Level 4

This excerpt is from a long-gone post by author Bruce Fraser:

Bruce Fraser - 4:17pm Jun 14, 04 PST (#5 of 21)

Opening files directly from the camera is a bad idea for a variety of reasons*, and it most certainly isn't faster than using a FireWire or USB2 card reader.

• Drains the camera battery
                              • Runs the risk of the software you're using to open the images writing to the card and destroying the format
                              • Runs a small but significant risk of USB power frying the camera
                              • Slowest method known to mankind of getting images off a CF or SD card
                      • 8. Re: Why does the DNG converter not convert?
                        MarrissaAL Level 1

I only use an SD card which I put into a card reader then plug into the computer.. I don't directly get pictures from my camera.

• 9. Re: Why does the DNG converter not convert?
                          Level 4

Makes no difference.  You're still pointing the software to the card, and that is unwise.

Just drag-copy the images to your desktop, then work on them.

I repeat:  I can't help you any further until you post details about your setup, including the exact model of your Mac, the exact version of the DNG Converter and the exact version of the OS you are running..

• 10. Re: Why does the DNG converter not convert?
                            PhotoDude0113 Level 1

I am running Windows 7, 8 gb RAM, been using Adobe DNG Converter for several weeks now, and today it stopped working.  I downloaded the latest version, installed/ran, and it still give me the "Status": ...""There was an error parsing the file"".  It worked yesterday, but today will not. Shooting Nikon D300 and D90 and it worked fine for both images yesterday.  I am not working off of a card, this is off my desktop.  Any suggestions?

• 11. Re: Why does the DNG converter not convert?
                              mantiboa892 Level 1

hi ,did you ever get the dng convertr working again? The same thing happened to me recently. When i first downloaded adobe dng converter it worked, the dng box came up in ps ,it was simple ...didnt have to put photos into a folder. ....So it worked about a month then stopped. My raw images come up in ps box ..click on it and the raw converter comes up but cant convert this into jpeg when i try to save it as before.