28 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2012 1:00 PM by West_Print

Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts

laws2151 Level 1

Upgraded to Mac InDesign CS5.5 under Snow Leopard 10.6.8, it doesn't always load installed, activated fonts. I have to relaunch InDesign a few times for them to show up in the font menu. I use FontExplorer X for font management (latest version). Never had this problem with InDesign CS5.

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
          tman69 Level 3

try this-----load and activate fonts 'before' you launch INDD

• 2. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't believe anyone else has reported this previously, which means it's probaly something in your configuration or a glitch in the font manager. You say, though, that these font's are not document specific, so I don't know why a font manager should be the issue. Are all of the problem fonts in the same location? Which folder?

• 3. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
              laws2151 Level 1

Thanks.

This problem only started after installing the CS5.5 upgrade. By default, FontExplorer keeps fonts organized in an alphabetical directory. So they would all be in the same directory. In addition to resatrting the apps a few times, launching Font Explorer also triggers the fonts to show. The only apps that don't show my installed activated fonts are the CS Premium Suite. All others work fine.

• 4. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                laws2151 Level 1

The fonts are activated 'before' launching. The apps don't see my system's activated fonts, unless I relaunch the apps a few times.

• 5. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                  laws2151 Level 1

Thanks. Fonts are already activated. They just don't show up in CS5.5 apps unless I relaunch a few times. Other apps display my system's activated fonts without any issues.

• 6. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts

If the fonts really are activated already, then ID ought to be seeing them, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a problem with auto-activation. CS5 plugins don't necessarily work with CS5.5. Are you patched to 7.5.1? Have you checked to see if there are CS5.5 updates for Font Xplorer?

• 7. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                      laws2151 Level 1

Thanks again. I don't use the Font Explorer X plugins. Both Font Explorer X and CS5.5 Design Premium are current.

I also just tried clearing preferences (starting InDesign with Ctrl-Cmd-Option-Shift), no effect. Since its all of the CS5.5 apps, I'm guessing uninstall/reinstall.

• 8. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

So the fonts show up in Font Book but not in InDesign?

• 9. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                          laws2151 Level 1

I don't use Font Book. I use Font Explorer X. The fonts show up in all applications except those in CS5.5. They also showed up fine in my older CS5 apps (and still do because I tested using the old applications which are still on my hard drive after upgrading).

• 10. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts

laws2151 wrote:

I don't use Font Book. I use Font Explorer X. The fonts show up in all applications except those in CS5.5. They also showed up fine in my older CS5 apps (and still do because I tested using the old applications which are still on my hard drive after upgrading).

This sounds like a problem you should take up with the folks at FontExplorer. I don't mean to pass the buck, but all evidence seems to be pointing to an incompatibility with FontExplorer and CS5.5

• 11. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                              John Hawkinson Level 5

I don't use Font Book. I use Font Explorer X.

I realize that. I'm asking you to look in Font Book, which is not only a management application but the OS's application to show you installed fonts. Can you check please?

Also:

The fonts show up in all applications except those in CS5.5.

Unfortunately I can't test "all [your] applications," so to be useful, you need to be specific. Pick an app. Does it work in TextEdit?

(All too often, someone will say "all," and it turns out they are trying a restricted subset that defines the problem but don't realize it. Much better to be absolutely explicit and name 2 or 3 of the apps.)

• 12. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                                laws2151 Level 1

Yes, I'm also talking with a tech from Font Explorer X. He's trying to figure it out also.

Yes TextEdit sees fonts. All the Apple installed programs (that use fonts), including Font Book, see the fonts. The first 20 installed apps I checked (such as Graphic Converter), all see the installed fonts. InDesign, Photoshop, Fireworks & Illustrator CS5.5 don't see fonts unless I relaunch the apps a few times or I launch Font Explorer X.

InDesign is also has a problem saving files. I posted that in another thread. This issue is more serious, as it can waste a lot of productive time.

Before I upgraded to CS5.5, neither of these issues existed. It's frustrating because I don't like spending so much time trying to figure out why the $300 software I bought doesn't work properly.

But it's probably a problem with my system and/or Font Explorer X.

• 13. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                                  mrbball

I have the same problem, fonts not showing up in Indesign CS 5.5, but activated. Font showed up in earlier versions of Indesign. Currently using Font Book.

• 14. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                                    mrbball Level 1

You are wrong. Others also have problem.

• 15. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts

mrbball wrote:

You are wrong. Others also have problem.

Evidently other users are also having the same problem, but nine months ago when this thread started, and when I suggested it was most likely a configuration problem that was a reasonable conclusion. In fact there are still very few reports, which makes it likley still that it is a sytem configuration issue, or a problem with a particular font or fonts, not a general issue or bug in InDesign.

• 16. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                                        mrbball Level 1

Beg to differ. Font appeared when put in Indesign application font folder. Font also worked fine in previous version of Indesign without any tricks.

• 17. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts

Working in a other application, even another version of ID, has little meaning. Working ithe private fonts folder is more interesting, though. What is the font?

• 18. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                                            laws2151 Level 1

Just to add some clarity to my original post:

It was not a configuration problem. A tech from Font Explorer X Pro (the font software I use) sent me an updated component called FontExplorerXAutoload.app. I think they had to change something due to CS 5.1, but don't quote me. It fixed the issue I had. There was a updated version of FEX (3.1.1) released soon after which included that update.

I realize that doesn't help you because you're using Font Book. Hidden fonts are definitely a frustrating problem (especially since they showed up before you upgraded).

Post any workarounds, good luck

• 19. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                                              mrbball Level 1

Korinna

Most of my fonts are not showing up in Indesign 5.5.

Font Book is also very qwerky. Sometimes it activates hundreds of fonts.

sg

• 20. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts

I'm not a Mac user, so my experience isn't the same as yours. I have OpenType, TT and T1 versions of Korinna that all work fine in ID when installed in the system fonts folder.

Are you using auto-activation? Does the fact that FontBook is quirky not suggest that maybe that's the problem?

I know I porobably won't convince you that the problem is on your system, but it turned out for laws2151 the problem was his font manager, not ID, and I suspect you will find the same.

• 21. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                                                  mrbball Level 1

I checked the fonts appearing in several other non adobe programs: Mail, Filemaker Pro, Textedit,  They all appear. Problems seem to be with Indesign and other Adobe programs.

I did check the lib/font and sys/lib/font folders and added a few fonts that were missing. I then deactivated all non essential fonts in FB and I lost two things. 1- names of hard drive partition folders appeared like AAAAAAA with brackets. 2- Same with Dock names when I activated with curser.

I then activated all fonts in FB and restarted. This solved problems 1 and 2 above. Opened Indesign and I found all fonts displaying!!!!! This is several hundred. Now I deactivated most non essential fonts with Font Book. Restarted computer and opened Indesign.    All fonts still displaying!!!!!  Seems like Font Book can't handle Adobe programs. Handles other programs okay.

Sg

• 22. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts

Seems like Font Book can't handle Adobe programs. Handles other programs okay.

We don't hear a lot of complaints about Font Book here. Given the other weirdness associated with it on your computer, I'd say the problem is there.

• 23. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                                                      Prepress Gal

OK my turn. Mac OS 10.5.8, InDesign 5.5, Linotype Font Explorer X. I can open a file in InDesign 5.5 and it is fine but the minute I make any changes, save, close and re-open...all fonts are missing. Moved to another Mac with the same setup and these files worked fine.

InDesign 5.5 was hanging on open also, but got that cleared up from another thread by removing the "datastore" folder.

• 24. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                                                        laws2151 Level 1

Prepress Gal,

Do you use Font Explorer 3.1.1? A tech told me CS5.5 changed something regarding font handling and there's a conflict with earlier versions of FEX.

Another guess might be Leopard is pretty old for CS5.5.

• 25. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                                                          mrbball Level 1

I found the problem. Font Book 'resolved duplicates' improperly, deactivating an important system font, Lucida Grande, if favor of a windows version of this font. You would think it would automatically choose the correct version! 

To solve the problem I had to  remove the windows version from the Font Book Library and then the computer. The proper version was always in the proper place, sys/lib/fonts. The windows version was outside any sys or lib or users folder. I think this is a significant bug.

• 26. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                                                            Prepress Gal Level 1

It says I have Linotype Font Explorer X, v 1.2.3.

• 27. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                                                              laws2151 Level 1

Prepress Gal wrote:

It says I have Linotype Font Explorer X, v 1.2.3.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I assume that's the issue. According to Linotype, you need to get the latest version of Font Explorer for compatibility with CS5.5. Of course, you'll probably run into other issues because your OS is pretty outdated.

(I think older versions of FEX were free? Newer are called Pro and require a $ license.)

Good luck!

• 28. Re: Mac InDesign CS5.5 not loading fonts
                                                                West_Print

Hi Guys,

I was new to all of this not that long ago, and have had to work a few things out for myself (not the quickest way to work) but however, I've found that it doesn't matter which version of Linotype you have installed, there are errors with them all, but what I've found helps is going into my font program (currently using Linotype Pro...) and exporting the font I'm after to the folder I'm currently utilising. As soon as I re-open InDesign or Illustrator it has absolutely no problems at all.

I can't guarantee this will work for everyone, however after exhausting every other option it did work instantly for me.

West_Print... =)