2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2011 1:05 PM by Quierta

InDesign CS5 - PDF Book Flow

Quierta Level 1

I am in the process of creating an InDesign book that is meant to be viewed as web-only. They are facing pages as the design requires the pages to be viewed side by side. There is a problem, though, with the chapters that have an uneven amount of pages. The page will not flow down to the next chapter, making for a very awkward-looking PDF.

For example, the PDF looks something like this, wherein [][] is a spread and [ ] is one page.

[][]

[][]

[][]

[ ]

[][]

[][]

[ ]

[][]

[][]

[][]

[ ]

[ ]

[][]

[][]

I would like to be able to click through the PDF and have it look more like this:

[][]

[][]

[][]

[][]

[][]

[][]

Where all of the spreads are visible rather than having the few scraggling single-page screens.

Is there a way to get the pages all to flow together once I export it to PDF? Will I have to manually go through each page in order to make sure they are spreads?

So far I have modified my documents so that all pages start on page 2, eliminating the single 'cover' page, but the end of the chapter is causing me trouble still.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 - PDF Book Flow
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Spreads are built in the PDF during export, so if there are an uneven number of pages in the file you will get one single page, or if you have an even number and start the chapter on a right page you will get two single page spreads. Acrobat will not combine pages.

You have two choices, combine your chapters into a single file before exporting, or export as single pages and let acrobat display them side-by-side. You can control the initial display settings in Acrobat Pro so the book will always appear as two pages when opened, but you can't prevent a user form changing the display option after opening if you use the second method.

You should think very carefully about your design and your viewers. Not all readers have young eyes or wide-screen displays. I personally find pages set as two-columns to be very difficult to work with on screen as a consumer, let alone having to look at a full two-page spread.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 - PDF Book Flow
            Quierta Level 1

Thank you!

The book is actually a design for a friend's novel and he's the only one who will ever see it; otherwise I'm aware of the limitations of the design I've chosen. Regardless, I was just wondering if there was a setting within InDesign that would do that. It doesn't matter, though, thank you again!