9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2011 8:49 AM by darling67

Flash can't open a file...?

darling67

Any ideas on how to get a AS3 file to open that won't open no matter what I try?

I was attempting to trouble-shoot some output errors I was getting while testing my movie. At one point, I had the bright idea of changing the name of the file's root folder. Once I did that, my file couldn't recognize its "home", understandably.

So, it asked me to save as (or "replace"?) the file, and I did. Flash then crashed, and I haven't been able to open the file since.

Any help would be much appreciated. It's a web site for a friend, and he's anxious to get it up and running.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Flash can't open a file...?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

create a new directory and move your files to that directory.     if you're moving any directories make sure they have the correct (what was once working) names.

if that fails, try opening the last working swf in a decompiler and decompiling.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flash can't open a file...?
            darling67 Level 1

I tried creating a new directory. Unfortunately, that didn't work.... granted, I think I did it correctly. I created a new folder and placed all my files, etc. in there.... and named the folder the original name.

I do have the latest swf file. I guess I'll run that thru a decompiler.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Flash can't open a file...?

no, don't rename the folder to have the original name.  create a new folder with a new name. 

if there are any subfolders of your old master folder, maintain the subfolder names.  the master folder should have and continue to have a new name.

that's a long-shot to work because your fla is probably corrupt. 

but if all or, even a significant part of your code is in class files, you'll only need to reconstruct your fla which should be easy for any decompiler.  use the reconstructed fla with your non-reconstructed class files.

• 4. Re: Flash can't open a file...?
                darling67 Level 1

Ok, thanks again. Will try both, and get back to you.

• 5. Re: Flash can't open a file...?
                  darling67 Level 1

I was about to use Trillix, but the free download is totally limited in effectiveness (to the point of making it worthless), and the purchase version is $80.00. Not paying that much to un-do ONE file.

So, I'll just have to re-construct my file from scratch.

Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Flash can't open a file...?

you're welcome.

• 7. Re: Flash can't open a file...?
                      darling67 Level 1

I can't understand why this file went bad. I changed the root folder back to its original name, and I even tried re-naming the fla in the "save-as/replace" name.

Lesson learned: never @#&* with an fla file, or it will do the same to you.

• 8. Re: Flash can't open a file...?
                        *Q Level 3

Hi,

Which Flash version are you using? Are you on Mac or Window? Can you repro the crash? It would be really helpful if you can post the steps so we can look into why your file went bad.

Thanks,

Quynh

Flash Pro, QE

• 9. Re: Flash can't open a file...?
                          darling67 Level 1

Hi!

I haven't looked at this thread in a while, as I abandoned trying to fix the problem and simply re-created my .fla file.

What happened - if I can remember correctly (it happened ina  flurry of activity) was that I was getting scripting errors. I was wondering if there was a problem with Flash detecting some of my xml files in the root folder.

So, I changed the name of my .fla file IN the root folder. Flash then gave me a warnign that the file could not be found, and if I wanted to replace it with the new file name.... which I clicked "yes".... Flash then spun around for a few seconds and then crashed.

When I went back to the file, it would not open. That's the best of my recollections of what happened.

I use CS5, and I am on a Mac.

Thanks.