5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2011 10:37 AM by sambonebs

Monitor choice for new Premiere rig.

sambonebs

Hello!

I'm a photographer, and I'd like to get into video. This, combined with the fact that my MacBook Pro has just died, has led me to spec up a video editing PC. I've listed the system below:

Intel i7 960 3.2GHz

Asus Sabertooth X85

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866Mhz

Antec TruePower 750W PSU

Coolermaster Silencio 550 Case

2 x Samsung 2443 Monitors OR 2 x Samsung 2380 Monitors (See below)

Zotac GTX570

2 x WD 1TB SATA-III Caviar Black (Scratch drive: RAID0 on SATA-III ports of the Motherboard)

1 x WD 300GB SATA-II Velociraptor (System drive)

1 x Samsung DVD/RW + RAM Drive

1 x Microsof Wireless Desktop 3000

Now, I was going to go for a 120GB OCZ SSD as the system drive, but after reading a few posts on here, I thought the V'raptor would be a better option - but, do I even have to go that high? Will a basic 7200rpm drive do the job?

I'm heavily involved in the music scene in my area, so I think my primary focus will be music videos. I see myself running 3-5 streams in Premiere Pro CS5.5, and using After Effects too. I'll still be using this rig for photography so I'll be running Photoshop and Lightroom. Will that rig be powerful enough?

Now, my other question concerns monitor choice. Initially, I was sold on the 2443 as it's a decent size, and it'll run up to 1200px on the vertical (which I've been told is essential for Premiere) but, I've discovered it has a TN Panel. My other choice is the 2380 which is a little smaller, with a thicker bezel (I think the viewable area is 21.5") and will only go up to 1080 on the vertical, but it does use the better panel, the PVA I think it's called?

Whatever spec rig ever I go for, the rig is coming out around £1700 which is pretty much top of my budget.

Please gentlemen, help our a noob!

• 1. Re: Monitor choice for new Premiere rig.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

First of all, take a i7-970 into consideration. The extra 2 cores make a nice difference. As for memory, go for 24 GB on the X58 platform to use the triple channel architecture. For the boot disk you can save some $$ by opting for the 320 GB Samsung Spinpoint F4 disk. The case is too small, go for the HAF 932 instead for more space, better cooling, easier installation and better cable management. Get some extra disks for your media. Your PSU can easily be improved upon with a Gold label type with more wattage. The 2380 monitors are very nice from a price/performance view. I have three of them. Have a look at some third party CPU coolers from CoolerMaster, Noctua or Prolimatech.

• 2. Re: Monitor choice for new Premiere rig.
            sambonebs Level 1

I did look at the 970 to get a 6 Core over a Quad, but it's a difference of around £500. Will I see that much of a performance gain for that additional outlay?

I'll change up the boot disk as suggested. I've just investigated the case, and I think I'll need to keep looking. We're converting our dining room into a creative space, and I have to have something that's quite subtle, in order to keep the Mrs happy. The 932 is a little too 'gamerish' for my tastes. Thank you for the suggestions on the case though, and I'll take another look at the cases in order to get something a little larger.

As for th PSU, would I really need more than 750W? If I really need it, so be it, but I've seen reports of something of that size being more than enough for a rig of this spec.

Looks like the decision on the monitor is made then! I'll go and look at some other coolers now.

• 3. Re: Monitor choice for new Premiere rig.
              sambonebs Level 1

Also, am I working on the correct topography in terms of HDDs?

1) I'm assuming that I configure Premiere to use the RAID Array as the scratch disk. But, where do I import and store my footage? Same drive? System Drive?

2) When I'm done working on a project, I assume that I'll need somewhere to store it. An external HDD or possibly NAS?

I've just realised I have no idea how much space I'll actually need!

• 4. Re: Monitor choice for new Premiere rig.
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I did look at the 970 to get a 6 Core over a Quad, but it's a difference of around £500.

Must be your weird prices over in the UK, since the 960 goes for around € 240 and the 970 for € 460.

Have a look at the articles at the top of the page under the Overview tab. There is some interesting reading to answer all your questions.

• 5. Re: Monitor choice for new Premiere rig.
                  sambonebs Level 1

I've just checked, and you're completely right! I have no idea where I got a price of around £700 from!

Thanks for the pointers! Looks like I'd better get reading!