7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2011 6:31 PM by TᴀW

too many sections?

yard camel Level 1

My document consists of numbered paragraphs, each about 100 words long; there are about 50 to 100 such paragraphs total in a given chapter.

Within each numbered paragraph, I need to have a series of numbered footnotes.  They should re-start at 1 in each numbered paragraph.

I see I can trigger this behavior if I treat every such paragraph as a section, and then use the Footnote option to "Restart numbering every section."

However, the total number of sections in my resulting book will be large:   6 chapters times 50 numbered paragraphs aka "sections" -- total for whole volume would be a minimum of 300 sections.  Is such a large number of sections a problem?

An alternative method would be to suppress footnote numbers altogether, both in the text and in the footnotes.  I seem to remember a discussion on this but can't find it - how to blind-print all footnote numbers.

many thanks

• 1. Re: too many sections?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't believe the number of sections would be a problem, but how did you plan on putting more than one section on a page if there is more than one paragraph?

• 2. Re: too many sections?
            yard camel Level 1

Yes, that's a good question.  The "help" on sections does not clearly state you're limited to one per page:  I am now noticing that regardless of where I insert a section, the footnotes are numbering as if they are to start at the top of the page.  So I still have problems, trying to use the multiple-section method.

Next best would be to omit all footnote numbers together, I think.

To put it differently, what I have is a setup similar to a Bible page, where there are numbered paragraphs and then numbers inside those numbered paragraphs, and I have text in footnote form at the moment that I need to key to the numbered sentences.

The footnote numbering options are only to set them by Page (which won't work because there's more than one numbered paragraph per page), Spread (which won't work for the same reason), and Section.

I considered treating the footnotes as just consecutive text (will skip explan as to why this would be readable), and have each "page" have two text blocks, one for the numbered paragraphs on top, and one for what's currently footnote text at the bottom.  But it occurred to me that that would put the two out of sync, so I'd lose all page-balancing tools.

This is in CS3, rev 5.0.4 btw.

If CS5 has better/different handling of footnotes, an upgrade to that is also a possibility.

• 3. Re: too many sections?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sections are a page property, so that's going to be a problem. I don't believe ID has the capability to do this out of the box, at least not using the normal footnote options. I'm going to defer, at this point, to those who actually do a lot of work with notes, and with numbered paragraphs, and see waht sort of trickery they've come up with, if any.

• 4. Re: too many sections?
                yard camel Level 1

OK, thanks much, Peter.

Things I've also tried that didn't work:

GREP on main text, setting fn number to blank (removes all footnotes - fail)

GREP on fn text, setting fn number to blank (removes all fns - fail)

GREP on fn text, setting all fn numbers to a specific character e.g. bullet (removes all fns - fail)

I can use a character style to set a fn callout in text to "no color," which allows the callouts in text to vanish, but that also makes the footnote be "no color" and it too vanishes -- fail.

• 5. Re: too many sections?
                  TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

"I can use a character style to set a fn callout in text to "no color,"

which allows the callouts in text to vanish, but that also makes the

footnote be "no color" and it too vanishes -- fail."

That should not be the case. Try again. It's definitely possible to have

the footnote indicator in the main text a different colour from the

footnote text itself.

You should also set the footnote indicator to a width of 1% or something

similar -- with a character style, of course -- and type in the numbers

by hand. In the footnotes themselves, you can simply delete the footnote

number altogether and type in whichever number you need by hand.

If you feel like spending some money, for fifty bucks or so I can put

together a script for you that will go through the entire document and

do this automatically.

Thanks,

Ariel

• 6. Re: too many sections?
                    yard camel Level 1

Hi, Ariel - many thanks for your post.  Scripting might be the way to go - I will see if I can find an email addy for you to take this off-group.

• 7. Re: too many sections?
                      TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try this:

admin freelancebookdesign dot com

Thanks,

Ariel