20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2011 7:51 PM by Rick Gerard

Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions

Robbie75VR Level 1

I'm looking for the best workflow with warp stabilizar, because it consists in 90% of my edit work.

This is my workflow at the moment:

1. Start to add my trimmed clips in the Premiere timeline
      2. Right click the shaky clip and select "replace with AE composition"
      3. In AE I right click the clip and select "Stabilize Motion", while analyzing I do step 2 with other clips
      4. Once all the analisys/stabilization of all clips is completed I select "Render entire work area" in Premiere and check out if results are ok
      5. If ok I add transition between clips and proceed with the color correction
      6. I Select "Render Effects in work area" to have a preview of the final work..
      7. Render sequence to file.

Usually the operation #6 of my workflow renders much faster, but doing that on stabilized clips it takes a lot more time.

Is my workflow correct or should I do all other edits before replacing the clip with AE composition ?

Is there a faster way to manage stabilized clips ? (exporting a new file from AE once stabilized.. ?)

If I need to re-trim the stabilized clip should I just do it in Pr , render again, and the analysis will be done in automatic ?

Thank you!!

• 1. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's OK, but I'd render the clips in AE because warp stabilization is very processor intensive and when using Dynamic Link you're not using all of the processor power or memory available when you render with AE.

Once rendered, replace the footage in Premiere Pro.

If you have a big 8 core monster with a ton of memory ignore this advice. If you're running on a Dual Core laptop, take it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
            Robbie75VR Level 1

I'm on a 8 core laptop with 8GB ram, while analyzing several clips the task manager says I'm using about 85% of cpu and 80% of ram..

What exact workflow do you suggest to render in AE and the substitute clip in premiere (I'm very very beginner in AE, few days of use)...

Thanks

• 3. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
              Robbie75VR Level 1

for example, I just added a cross dissolve between two AE compositions in Premiere (stabilized clips), now it says "Insufficient Media. The transition will contain repeated frames". But the original clips have plenty of seconds before and after the cuts.

How do I add and stabilize the missing parts ?

• 4. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions

If you need "handles" you need to add them either in your AE composition or by selecting multiple shots in Premiere and then selecting Replace with After Effects Composition.

Handles are extra frames at the beginning and end of a shot. They are typically 30 to 60 frames in effects work.

• 5. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
                  Robbie75VR Level 1

Rick Gerard wrote:

If you need "handles" you need to add them either in your AE composition or by selecting multiple shots in Premiere and then selecting Replace with After Effects Composition.

mm not clear sorry, I actually do that, right click my clip and select Replace With AE Comp. but if after the stabilization I don't see any "handles", what am I missing ? thanks

• 6. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
                    TomLowe

Rick, do you mean to transcode the clip to something (ProRes, Photo-JPEG, TIFF sequence, etc) and then drop that into Premiere?

• 7. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions

When I stabilize a shot that I have in premiere there are two workflows.

I copy the shot in Premiere in the timeline. I then open up After Effects and paste the shot. In the shot comp I extend the length of the composition to give me "handles" then stabilize, add to the render cue, render to the codec that I'm using in Premiere Pro (usually ProRez 422 HQ or ProRez 444) and replace the shot in Premiere. If you know how long your handles are, mine are mostly 60 frames, then it's very easy to re-sync the edit with room for transitions.

If there are multiple shots or layered shots in Premiere I'll marquis select everything involved in the sequence and use the Replace with After Effects Composition option. This gives me an AE comp with all of the shots selected including room for transitions if they are in the Premiere Project. If the shot that needs stabilizing is long I'll Pre-compose it in AE, Add handles in the pre-comp, render the pre-comp in AE and replace usage. If it's just a short shot I'll just let dynamic link take care of the AE project.

I hope this helps. Every project has a slightly different workflow, but in most cases, I'm rendering heavy effects shots in AE and replacing them in Premiere. That's the nature of the work that I do most of the time.

• 8. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
                        Robbie75VR Level 1

so I have to extend each clip and individually stabilize it then use it in premiere timeline or select the edited video from the timeline and replace it with AE comp, but then there won't be any possibility to edit transitions because the tracks have been flattened in a single one..

The first solution is very unpractical if like me you have to work only with clips that needs to be stabilized, to minimize the work I normally edit the videos in the timeline and only when the video is complete for final render I stabilize each clips, but with warp stabilizer this is impossible then; the second solution limitates the ability to make minor adjustments to the final edit..

mmm... I wonder why there is no simple "stabilize this" and voilà... (just like in some other major editors), these workflows don't look very "elastic" to me but I'll keep experimenting..

Thanks for your help and time

• 9. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions

You missed the dynamic link workflow. If you need the transitions between stabilized shots then bring in both shots, or 3 shots, or  20. Dynamic link will now work.

If you render individual clips then you can simply place them in the timeline and edit as normal.

If you have a single shot that has a transition in and out and you want to stabilize that shot via dynamic link then make sure that you select the shot and the transitions. EZ as that. If that doesn't work for you then drag the shot you need to stabilize into a new layer in Premiere, extend the shot so that it overlaps the shots where you have the transition, then use dynamic link to stabilize.

Here's the biggest workflow part that you're not getting. When you use dynamic link to process a shot in After Effects or Audition, or anything else, the render only exists in your Premiere Pro Preview files. These are easily lost, overwritten, or otherwise fouled up, especially when you start doing re-cuts. If it takes 30 minutes to stabilize a shot then you're better off creating the handles and rendering the stabilized shot, then adding the render to your Premiere Pro project. Either way, the solution is easy.

• 10. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
                            Robbie75VR Level 1

I tried with multiple shots with dynamic link, it stabilize them but when I go back to premiere it's all flattened, stabilized but flattened, so what if I want to edit my crossfade in out or add a premiere colo correction to a single clip of the flattened track containing multiple clips?

• 11. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
                              DPpamela

So I'm having the same issue. How do I give it handle sin AE? I don't see how I can do that?

Here's is my original question:

The problem I'm finding  with the warp stabilization is if I render a clip I've edited in the timeline is doesn't give me any handles to work with in transitions with clips. So basically  the work flow, do I need to take the whole clip into warp before any cuts?

• 12. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
                                Robbie75VR Level 1

DPpamela wrote:

do I need to take the whole clip into warp before any cuts?

I think it is so... but let's see what the experts say

I'm making lots of experiments right now and I don't see any other way, this is probably not inteded to be used as a filter in premiere, but as an external tool without the elasticity of a premiere filter, making the job of stabilization a little nightmare in my case. Sending the entire sequence to AE it's a good way to have the clips stabilized back in Pr with transitions applied, the problem (afaik) is that you can't edit the timeline anymore as it was possible before sending it to AE.

• 13. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
                                  DPpamela Level 1

So we are having the exact same issue it seems.

So if we were to send the whole sequence, would we have to render it out 1st with the transitions? Would we have to render the sequence in pr 1st? and then take it to AE so then the transitions are preserved?

• 14. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
                                    Robbie75VR Level 1

DPpamela wrote:

would we have to render it out 1st with the transitions?

Yes

DPpamela wrote:

Would we have to render the sequence in pr 1st?

Yes

DPpamela wrote:

and then take it to AE so then the transitions are preserved?

Yes

(I could be wrong, trying to understand it yet..)

• 15. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
                                      DPpamela Level 1

If you want to get on google chat with me while I'm in the edit room, I'm on gmail pamelaannberry@gmail.com We can maybe work through this

• 16. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions

Watch quick. This only takes a moment. I'm giving you two workflows. The first involves separating the clip you want to stabilize from the timeline. Just drag it to another video track. The second involves selecting the clip and the transitions. Not all transitions are supported. Again, watch quick. It only takes a minute.

You are not thinking through the process. It's very easy to add handles if you know how to modify composition settings. It's very easy to replace footage. A little math is all that is necessary to be precise. You don't need to render the whole clip. You can include the transitions easily, you can modify in and out points in your AE project. It's all quite easy once you think about it correctly.

• 17. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
                                          Robbie75VR Level 1

Yes, the first workflow in your video is good for my needs, it makes the work a bit longer but it's a solution, the best solution so far, thanks Rick, I really appreciate your help

I hope Adobe will make Warp Stabilizer usable in Premiere just like any other Premiere effect soon

• 18. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
                                            DPpamela Level 1

Thanks, thats what I was pretty much doing. It would be nice to have that  better usable mode in future upgrades. I love using the warp stabilizer. THanks so much for your help!!

• 19. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions
                                              Robbie75VR Level 1

One more question, why everytime I send a file from Pr to AE, AE saves the project ? is it possible to avoid it ? (autosave is off in my preferences).

Thanks

• 20. Re: Few Warp Stabilizer workflow questions

The project must be saved for dynamic link to work because dynamic link only reads saved files.

1 person found this helpful