4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2011 9:08 AM by ineedsupportforadobe

uninstalling reader 9.1.3 failure;  installation failure reader 10.1.1with unable to contact tracker

ineedsupportforadobe

I would like to update to adobe reader 10.1.1 and when I attempted download/install with Internet Explorer it produced:  unable to contact trackers.  The it opened another web page and produced:

Adobe Reader did not install successfully

You can troubleshoot your installation with the following resources:

When I go to control panel> add remove programs: adobe reader 9.1.3 is 138 MB and when I click on remove it produces:  The patch package could not be opened.  Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.

1) How do I uninstall adobe reader 9.1.3 with the above problem?

2) I have installed revo unistaller and have not yet learned how to use it.  Is this what I would need to uninstall reader 9.1.3 or is there something that I need to download to then be able to use add remove programs and have it uninstalled?

3) I would like to install the latest version of adobe reader and the download/install produced: unable to contact trackers.  What does this mean and how does it get corrected so that I can download and install the latest version

Currently when I read or download PDF files they are opened properly with Adobe reader.  It is the goal to eliminate the old version and install the new version.

My computer is a dell laptop inspiron 9400 with windows XP home SP3, Intel CPU 2600 @ 1.66 GHz, 2.0 GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 1400

The other Adobe software products that are installed are Adobe AIR, Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX, and Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin

I tired the download/install with another browser (Safari) and it went through initializing, downloading, and installing then Please wait while Windows configures Adobe Reader X (10.1.1) then Gathering required information then Time remaining 0 secs with all blue squares.  Set up need to restart your system do you want to restart now?  I choseno and when I viewed Adobe Reader Installer it had Adobe Reader Installation failed unknown error 96%  Then I chose finish.  It then produced One of the installations requires a reboot.  Do you wish to perform it now.  I will choose yes and have it reboot. 

What happened with the attempted intall with Internet Explorer that it failed.  If Adobe Reader X installs with Safari will the PDF files opened with this browser use Adobe Reader X and will the PDF files opened with Internet Explorer use Adobe Reader 9.1.3?  I would like to have just one version of Adobe Reader and not take up the hard drive space.

I will reboot now and see what happens.  Please comment on what to do if the installation fails for Adobe Reader X and please comment on how to uninstall Adobe Reader 9.1.3 too in addition to any other comments about the installation problem.

Thx