13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2011 12:27 AM by chrisrev

Adobe Reader help for trial version

emma002

Can anyone help me please, granted I am only using the trial version of Adobe Reader but I can never type onto a form recieved in pdf format, also when I scan a document whether it be forms or my pictures it alway's goes to Adobe Reader, I am just a home user, windows 7 64 bit computer and using IE8, if anyone can help I would appreciate it , thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader help for trial version
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There is no trial version of Adobe Reader, it's free. Perhaps you mean Acrobat, which can be installed on the same machine as Reader.

Sometimes what looks like a form lacks interactive form fields, which are normally added to a PDF using Acrobat (or LiveCycle Designer). If the PDF forms you have do not have such fields, there's not a lot you can do with just Reader. You can add them in Acrobat if there are no security restrictions, or you can use the Typewriter tool in Acrobat to add text.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader help for trial version
            emma002 Level 1

You are correct, I do have Adobe Reader and the Trial version of Acrobat, that allowed me to convert a couple of forms into pdf format, but I still cannot type into the forms sent to me and send them back by e mail, I have to print the document, then it scans into my pictures, this is my only option and then attach it to e mail. I do not want to buy any versions as it is something I only have to use once in awhile, there used to be a free version of Adobe photo shop on my old XP computer and I loved it but no such thing on windows 7.

I just redownloaded Acrobat so hopeing this works, thanks again.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader help for trial version
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to add form fields with the proper tools in Acrobat (you can get more help in the help files of Acrobat or the Acrobat forum) before you can add text in Reader. After adding the fields, you can enable that document so that you will also be able to save the text you add in Reader (without enabling, you can fill it out in Reader and print it but not save it).

Keep in mind that Acrobat is not free. You are allowed to download it once and use it for 30 days. Since you've already installed it once, it may disable your free trial if you try and install it again. There is no need to install again anyhow since it isn't broke. You just need to learn how to use it.

So, if the trial ends up getting broken, you are out of luck short of reformatting your hard drive and starting over.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader help for trial version

Oh and, there is no such thing as a free version of Adobe Photoshop either. Photoshop is a very expensive piece of software.

Possibly it was Photoshop Elements. If that worked, it's certainly cheaper to purchase than Acobat.

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader help for trial version
                  gbarbur2011

Emma002,

I feel your frustration. I have been down this road before with the Adobe Reader X (10.1.1) and my issue was that I cept getting the following when I tried to open a .pdf file: "Invalid plugin detected. Adobe Reader will quit." It is fixable but I had to have a Adobe Support agent help me (and it cost me $29.95). But the same problem is back and I can't seem to find any of the email streams that I had from the support agent.

Adobe : If you are going to offer a product (Adobe Reader X) for free, so should at least stand behind it.

I would gladly paid a reasonable fee for Adobe Reader X (10.1.1) if it would continue to operate as advertised.

And George Johnson and -graffiti stop giving lip service - we are just looking for "The fix".

gbarbur2011

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader help for trial version
                    pwillener Level 8

gbarbur2011 wrote:

And George Johnson and -graffiti stop giving lip service - we are just looking for "The fix".

This is a user to user forum; there is no need to be rude to other users who are trying to help.

Also, the O/P's and your problem are completely different; it is not even the same product.  There is no "fix" for usage problems.

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader help for trial version
                      emma002 Level 1

It was Adobe photo shop I used to use many years ago on my old XP and I still have my key code for it, it probably was not as fancy as the paid versions but for me it did all I needed it to, red eye removal etc, it was also very easy to send my pictures in an e mail, in fact my sister in law downloaded it aswell after getting some of the photo's I sent to her, perhaps it was before your time.

• 8. Re: Adobe Reader help for trial version

Well, beings as I've been using Photoshop since it's inception, I highly doubt it was before my time.

And, it's NEVER been free. Never. At least not a legal copy of it.

Ok, enough of that. Sorry to get off topic. Did you get the trial version of Acrobat working?

Oh and gbarbur2011, try reading my advice above and comprehending it. I was not giving "lip service". You haven't even comprehended the reason for the OP's original post. It is in no way related to your issue.

• 9. Re: Adobe Reader help for trial version
                          emma002 Level 1

Yes thank you I did get Acrobat working, however I resent your comment implying that I did not use a legal copy of Adobe photo shop, I have never stolen anything in my life as I stated I still have the Key code for it, not that it is any good now, but it came preinstalled on my computer and all I did was activate it and they sent me the Key code, so no need for insults please.

• 10. Re: Adobe Reader help for trial version

Sorry. Was just saying that there was no free version. Wasn't referring to you but more to your statement "in fact my sister in law downloaded it aswell after getting some of the photo's I sent to her".

If your sister in law downloaded a "free" version of photoshop, it was in fact an illegal download since there are no free versions (with the exception of a 30 day trial directly from Adobe). If she downloaded the legit version, and you gave her your "key code" so she could use it, that is a violation of the license agreement and makes it an illegal copy.

Your version was probably legal yes since it came pre-installed on a new machine.

• 11. Re: Adobe Reader help for trial version
                              chrisrev

Is there a free version of Acrobat that will allow me to modify PDF files. I currently use adobe reader and of late I have downloaded some pdf files that I wanted to modify and save but was unable.
                              thanks

• 12. Re: Adobe Reader help for trial version
                                Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

You cannot edit PDFs with the free Reader. You can, with limits, with Acrobat. And there is a 30 days trial version of Acrobat which you can download from the Adobe site.

• 13. Re: Adobe Reader help for trial version
                                  chrisrev Level 1

thanks Claudio - acrobat it will be then!