5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2011 2:23 PM by Mister MUX

Having two or more projectors on the same network sharing information

MAC800 Level 1

First of all using D11

Windows XP

Project: building a basic payment tracker with the functionality of each users projector being updated how other people are doing

Question : can projectors talk to each other ?

In other words: can "projector1" send data to "projector2"?

• 1. Re: Having two or more projectors on the same network sharing information
          komtol

in any case by writing to and reading from an external file for example, in this case probably a list

• 2. Re: Having two or more projectors on the same network sharing information
            Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

You can use a Flash localConnection object, or the Multiuser xtra (if you know IP addresses)

• 3. Re: Having two or more projectors on the same network sharing information
              Mister MUX Level 2

MUX Parent Script v1.00 - The easy way to enable inter-movie communication in Adobe/Macromedia Director

Free Open Source Lingo

MuxDev@gmail.com

The MUX Parent Script utilizes the multiuser Xtra (Multiusr.x32) to provide an easy-to-implement means for inter-movie (projector) communication. This communication can occur between movies running on the same computer or movies running on different computers connected via a network using standard TCP/IP and UDP protocols. Communication can take place between computers on the same local area network, intranet or internet.

The script does not utilize the Shockwave Multi-User Server from Adobe (Macromedia), nor is it intended to do so. One instance of MUX is created to act as the server and one or more instances are created as clients which connect to the server. There is a limit of 16 client connections per server instance. The number of MUX instances is only limited by the memory resources of the machine(s) on which the movie(s) are running.

If you are unfamiliar with the concept of a parent script, do not be intimidated. Using parent scripts is not as complicated as you might imagine. Of course you do not need the MUX Parent Script to utilize the multiuser xtra, but it can save you the time and effort required to learn how to use the xtra given all of its subtlties and scant documentation. Connections can be established using MUX with as little as one line of code. MUX allows you to focus on how your movies respond to various messages. You don't have to spend time trying to figure out the delivery mechanisms.

This code is 100% free open source lingo. You are welcome to do what ever you want with it, without restriction. There is no warranty or guarantee (expressed or implied) that this script is suitable for any particular purpose. By using the script, you agree to assume all risk. You also agree not to hold me liable for any damages that occur as a result of using the script. I offer no guarantee of support for the script.

I may, at my sole discretion, provide limited support for using the script provided that it has not been altered. I welcome all questions, comments, bug reports and feature requests, so feel free to send me email at MuxDev@gmail.com. Example movies, documentation and the latest version of the script is available upon request. It is my sincere hope that you find MUX to be a useful part of your Director tool box. Enjoy and good luck!

• 4. Re: Having two or more projectors on the same network sharing information
                MAC800 Level 1

I would like to know more about this

What code would be used ?

Example would you use a .text file?

How can you import content from a text file into say field 'UserData'

• 5. Re: Having two or more projectors on the same network sharing information
                  Mister MUX Level 2

I hope you are not offended if I answer your question posed to komtol, but I can provides some details.

Director projectors can use the fileIO xtra to read from and write to external text files. Dean has a nice tutorial on this topic http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/Lingo/FileIO.htm. Once the projector reads data from a file, you can easily use it to populate fields.

So it is certainly possible that two or more projectors could transfer data via this mechanism. If these  projectors exist on different computers, they will need to be able to have read/write permission on a common folder. Projector 1 writes data to a file in the folder, and Projector 2 reads the file. However you will have to resolve  a a number of design questions. How will Projector 2 know when the file needs to be read? Will it read the file every so often to see if it has new data in it? Will it read it in response to a user event, such a clicking a button? Those are just a couple of the issues your code will need to address.

Personally, I consider the multiuser xtra solution to be a more "eloquent". However there are some caveats to this. As Sean mentioned the peer movies will need to know the IP address of the host movie. If the host movie is not on the same local area network, you may be required to set up port forwarding on the router it is behind. If all of the movies are on the same LAN, the messaging with the multiuser xtra will generally work. Software firewalls may also need configured to open the ports being used.

What you are trying to do is not simple but it is not overly difficult either. I would be happy to help you use the parent script I wrote, but you will need to provide a bit more detail. Contact me via email if you want to pursue this route. If you do not, I would be interested in knowing why.