19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 1:50 PM by Jelion

is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?

gonz456

im a livestream member and i can download the livestreams i do there, it downloads in mp4, i just bought premier elements 10 because the specs said it could import mp4

so i tried importing mp4 and i only get video?

any idea why? is there something i need to do to bring the audio in as well?

thankis

• 1. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yep. That's very likely the case.

There are a lot of codecs for video and audio out there, and Premiere Elements is designed primarily to interface with camcorder video.

Have you opened the video in G Spot or Media Info to see which codecs it's using?

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 2. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

In addition to G-Spot, MediaInfo is also a great AV file info utility. Each should give you the exact Audio CODEC in those files. It might be as easy as downloading the proper CODEC from the company that wrote it, or you might need to rip the Audio with an audio-editor, such as the great, free Audacity, Save as a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, and Import that, replacing the Audio Stream from the LiveStream file.

Note: I find it good to have both G-Spot and MediaInfo around, as G-Spot is great with most AVI files, and does a fair job with MPEG's, MediaInfo does better with MPEG, MOV and WMV files. Knowing what is inside the AV file is very important, as MP4, WMV, AVI, etc. are just wrappers, and a lot can be inside them. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck, and once you know the CODEC of the Audio Stream, let us know, and someone can recommend where to get that CODEC.

Hunt

• 3. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
              gonz456 Level 1

But how does all of this make it work with premier elements 10?

• 4. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>how does all of this make it work

What "all of this" does is provide DETAILS so the other users here may try to help

As Steve said (and, he very literally wrote the book!) not all files are the same... and without knowing the DETAILS of your file, there is no way for anyone to help

So... please go do what has been asked, and gather and post the DETAILS of your file

• 6. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
                  gonz456 Level 1

ive got a clean audio file to import, however, when i sync the audio

with the video, its synched at the beginning of the file and that

synchronization slowly becomes unwraveled as the file play to the point

where audio and video are not playing at the same time

• 7. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Static OOS (Out Of Sync) is easy to fix. Dynamic OOS requires just a bit more work. This ARTICLE gives tips on each.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
                      gonz456 Level 1

I got this from mediainfo on the file im talking about, thanks again for

your help

General

Complete name                    : C:\Users\David\Desktop\peptides.mp4

Format                           : MPEG-4

Format profile                   : Adobe Flash

Codec ID                         : f4v

File size                        : 896 MiB

Duration                         : 2h 20mn

Overall bit rate mode            : Constant

Overall bit rate                 : 890 Kbps

Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-10-09 01:59:02

Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-10-10 00:05:12

Video

ID                               : 1

Format                           : AVC

Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                   : Main@L3.1

Format settings, CABAC           : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames        : 3 frames

Codec ID                         : avc1

Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding

Bit rate mode                    : Constant

Bit rate                         : 724 Kbps

Nominal bit rate                 : 1 000 Kbps

Width                            : 360 pixels

Height                           : 240 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 3:2

Frame rate mode                  : Variable

Frame rate                       : 29.895 fps

Original frame rate              : 30.000 fps

Minimum frame rate               : 0.144 fps

Maximum frame rate               : 30.303 fps

Standard                         : NTSC

Color space                      : YUV

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0

Bit depth                        : 8 bits

Scan type                        : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.280

Stream size                      : 729 MiB (81%)

Title                            : WowzaMediaServerPro

Language                         : English

Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-10-09 01:59:02

Audio

ID                               : 2

Format                           : MPEG Audio

Format version                   : Version 1

Format profile                   : Layer 3

Mode                             : Joint stereo

Mode extension                   : MS Stereo

Codec ID                         : .mp3

Bit rate mode                    : Constant

Bit rate                         : 160 Kbps

Channel(s)                       : 2 channels

Sampling rate                    : 44.1 KHz

Compression mode                 : Lossy

Stream size                      : 161 MiB (18%)

Title                            : WowzaMediaServerPro

Language                         : English

Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-10-09 01:59:02

• 10. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?

Someone may be able to help... but I can't

Flash is a streaming video format for websites... an output format that is the end result of editing, not a file to be used for editing

• 11. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
                          gonz456 Level 1

not particularly stable, the file im working with speeds up and slows

down, a function of streaming i suppose

but, at times editing of these files is desired and required

• 12. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

John is right. Flash is not a codec Premiere Elements will be able to edit.

• 13. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

For editing Flash material, I would look into the Flash products from Moyea.

With certain Flash CODEC limitations, PrPro can now edit Flash material, but that is a $700+ program. I think that you could buy one of each of the Moyea programs, and still be about $300 to the good. Before PrPro incorporated Flash Import and edit, Moyea had a great Flash plug-in, and I have used it seamlessly in PrPro 2.0. That Flash Importer, however, was never written to work in PrE. Not sure if Moyea might offer one, at some time. Though the plug-in that I have will not work in PrE, I can say that it has been excellent over the years. If they did the same for PrE, it would be great.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?

You might go to the Flash forum and find out if that product is able to edit those files

How to Select a Forum http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-1015

• 15. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
                                  VDOSurfer Level 3

That is an interesting file you have! Avc-flv in an mp4. PrE does not support editing flash files. The main purpose the product is used for is to edit video from cameras. Does this file playback right on other video editors?

• 16. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
                                    gonz456 Level 1

it plays and edits (after tweaking from support) in wondershare vivideo

now im trying to fix some bad audio by synchronizing a clean audio track

this file resulted from a livestream to livestream.com, this is the file

archived on the server

yes, a very complex file

• 17. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
                                      Wizarddamacumba Level 1

Once i know wich audio codec is, what should i do ? Should i install some codec in Premiere ? How i do that ? BTW, i use premiere pro CS6. Thanks

PS: i imported a movie in mp4 format, and it only came the video, no audio =(

• 18. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

One does not install CODEC's into an application, but to the OS.

If you are lacking a necessary CODEC, I strongly recommend that you find out which one it is, and then acquire JUST that CODEC, even if it is commercial, and you pay for it. Do NOT be tempted into downloading and installing any CODEC pack.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: is it a codec issue when mp4 video (from livestream) imports without audio?
                                          Jelion

Introduction:

I had a very similar issue to this importing into premiere pro (CS6):

After downloading my previously recorded livestream broadcast (in which I used livestream for producers) the media would play back fine in media players. However, it would not import at all into FCP and would import with the audio and video wildly out of sync in Premiere.

I Initially presumed this to be a frame drop issue due to system issues during the broadcast. After adjusting my timeline settings and re-encoding to every possible file format to no avail I came to this thread to determine if my CODECs were the issue.

Resolution:

In light of the above information I assumed that, perhaps, a less sophisticated program might ignore framerate or filetype based issues.

• I opened the file in iMovie. The file was accepted by the import process and the audio and video was in sync.
                                          • I then exported a test iMovie project as a .mov and brought that .mov into premiere and found that everything imported properly. No sync issues, no filetype errors.

I'm currently exporting the entire broadcast from iMovie and hopefully the work around holds up. I'll post an update with the result.

Conclusion:

It's not as technical of a solution as what's presented above and it's messy, but it is simple. Hopefully it works for your issue as well and helps anyone else with this problem.

In the future I'm going to use a third party broadcasting application that allows me to store a local version in a file type of my choosing. I would suggest something similar to anyone who uses livestream procaster or livestream for producers.