9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2011 7:40 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio and Video not in sync

Gaz 8069

Hi,

I have just finished capturing footage from my HDV camcorder using Elements 10 and when editing the footage I noticed the audio and video was out of sync. The strange thing is that when I play the captured video on Windows media player or any other media there is nothing wrong with it.

So was just wondering if anybody else has experienced this and if there are any solutions on how to correct it?

• 1. Re: Audio and Video not in sync
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, I'm assuming you used Premiere Elements to capture the video, right?

And, when you started your Premiere Elements project, you set it up for HDV, right? If you've done this correctly, there should not be a red line above the clips you've added to your timeline until you add effects to your clips. Is that happening in your project?

Beyond that, much does depend on the speed of your computer and your operating system. Try outputting a WMV or MOV using Share/Computer and seeing if the out of sync issue persists in your output.

• 2. Re: Audio and Video not in sync
            Gaz 8069 Level 1

Thanks for your reply Steve. Yes, I used Premiere Elements 10 to capture the video, with the project set to HDV and there is no red line above the clips in the timeline. I have tried outputting using various outputs and they all of them have the sync issue. My PC exceeds all the requirements so would like to think its fast enough.

• 3. Re: Audio and Video not in sync
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>exceeds all the requirements

Well... how about posting DETAILS of your computer?

Brand/model computer

Windows version

Amount of Ram

Number and configuration of hard drives

• 4. Re: Audio and Video not in sync
                Gaz 8069 Level 1

Yes no problem,

Im using Windows 7,

6GB of RAM

i7 2.66Ghz Processor

1TB Internal Hard drive of which 742 GB is free.

ATI Radeon HD 5800 Graphics card

• 5. Re: Audio and Video not in sync

You really need a 2nd hard drive, dedicated to video files... that is a physical 7200rpm drive, never a partition

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit

Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing

Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208?tstart=0 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433?tstart=0 use USB externals for editing

A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used the eSata Dock below... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

>when I play the captured video

PS - Playing video is VERY different than editing video... you really need a dedicated data drive for editing

• 6. Re: Audio and Video not in sync
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I don't think this one is a performance issue, John -- or else it wouldn't show up on the output video.

More likely it is a bug in the way Premiere Elements captures HDV. Unfortunately, with longer videos, there is sometimes some drift. I'm just not sure what to do about it though.

• 7. Re: Audio and Video not in sync

>bug in the way Premiere Elements captures HDV

If that is the case, Try this for HDV capture http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

• 8. Re: Audio and Video not in sync
                        Gaz 8069 Level 1

I think Steve is right on this one in that the fault is with Premiere Elements 10.

I borrowed an external hard drive and it made no difference and also borrowed Pinnacle Studio 14 and it was able to capture in sync.

I have contacted Adobe regarding it and they are to get back to me so hopefully they will be able to sort something out, if not I will just have to use John's recommendation or some other software to capture my HDV videos.

• 9. Re: Audio and Video not in sync
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, this is starting to sound like a Bug. I would write down all details, and then file a Bug Report with Adobe, so that they can get right on fixing this.

Good luck,

Hunt