8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 9:07 AM by John T Smith

Unable to open files properly.

The former tubular Level 1

I have been giving Premiere CS5.5 a go recently. It's something I want to make use of for a living so I got myself one of the classroom in a books for the software. I'm aware it's for CS5 rather than .5 but I'm trying.

Anyway I'm just starting with the lessons. I've created the lesson folder like the book wants me to. However I'm running into a problem that is stopping me from progressing:

When I open the Lesson 1 file, I am prompted that "This project was saved from a previous version of Adobe Premiere Pro and must be converted"

So I continue and I don't know where I'm meant to be going. While the book tells me I may be prompted to tell adobe Premiere Pro where the file is in the lessons/assets folder, I don't know if this is the same prompt. Either way the software keeps crashing when I'm unable to complete this section. I don't really know what I'm meant to be doing. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Unable to open files properly.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Projects created in earlier versions will need to be Converted. That is the first prompt.

Depending on exactly where you located the Assets, you might have to navigate to that folder, when you get the "Where is file ______?" prompt. This should be a one-time operation, per each CiaB exercise.

As for the crashing, can you give us the full details of your computer?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Unable to open files properly.

Can do

Model Name:          MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:          MacBookPro8,3

Processor Name:          Intel Core i7

Processor Speed:          2.2 GHz

Number of Processors:          1

Total Number of Cores:          4

L2 Cache (per Core):          256 KB

L3 Cache:          6 MB

Memory:          8 GB

The assets folder is located in Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\5.0\Lessons\Assets. When I go into Assets to try and use that, all files and resources are greyed out, stopping me from trying it. Furthermore I've reinstalled Premiere so I can try and see if that's fixed the crashing later on.

EDIT: The software crashed again. This happens after I attempt to open lesson 1 from the criab and then have to click cancel because I can't find/don't know which of the files/assets is required to fix the prompt.

• 3. Re: Unable to open files properly.

At the risk of just bumping this thread for the sake of it, I'm still having problems. I'm getting impatient and I'm starting to feel like I've just wasted tons of money onf software that I can't use because of one simple problem and because it crashes as a result. I could have got Final Cut but you can't buy that anymore and I don't want NLE software, so I went with premiere. So I need the solution.

• 4. Re: Unable to open files properly.
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Try this:

1. Create a new project.
                2. Import the CIAB project into it.
                3. When you're prompted for missing files, click on the "Offline All" button.
                4. If the project finishes loading, save it immediately.

You won't have any media in the project initially, but hopefully the crashing will stop so you can get familiar with the user interface.  You can link the offline clips to media files individually or in groups after that, and maybe that will help you discover if one or more of the CIAB media files are causing the problem.  You can also import your own media into the project.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Unable to open files properly.

Thanks for the advice. IT didn't crash, but I'm confident I've discovered the cause of the crashes: It doesn't like importing MPEG files while everything else I've tested get on fine with the software. Unfortunately the MPEGs are part of the lesson files so I'm stuck up a creek with those. Is there a patch or update to fix MPEG file import crashes?

• 6. Re: Unable to open files properly.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Just a thought, regarding the MPEG files. When those are Imported, there is a Conforming (Audio) and Indexing, that takes place. Depending on the Duration of the Clips, how far off the Audio is from 48KHz 16-bit, and then the speed of one's computer, this process might be almost instantaneous, or might take a few moments. I have seen the program hang, or the system crash, if one attempts to use one of the Clips, before the Conforming & Indexing completes. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

However, it appears that you are getting crashes, when just attempting to Open the Projects w/ the MPEG Clips, before you get to touch anything. I doubt that such crashes could be caused by doing anything while Conforming & Indexing is on-going.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Unable to open files properly.

The problem has been fixed (kind of). Premiere seems to crash when you try importing assets via File>import but works perfectly when importing assets via the media browser. This is maybe something Adobe needs to look at and fix.

• 8. Re: Unable to open files properly.
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Gather all details and tell Adobe

Bug Report and Feature Request https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform