8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2011 1:59 PM by rwt-ray

Cannot use "Find" function

rwt-ray

Our users are experiencing a problem where they cannot bring up the find/search bar. We do use a customized installation using a MST file, but there is no option that we are aware that disables the find/search function.

We have tried pressing CTRL+F or going to menu>edit>find, but do not get a search bar.

Was wondering if anyone out there is having the same problem or has a fix?

We are currently running the latest version of Adobe Reader X 10.1.1.

• 1. Re: Cannot use "Find" function
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

This is really strange. Would it be possible for you to let me know which modifications are you using while creating the transform, or if possible share the MST file itself?

• 2. Re: Cannot use "Find" function
            rwt-ray Level 1

Just a bit of more information, not sure if its related, but our users are all running Windows 7 64bit desktops. I'm attaching screenshots of the transform/MST file with the customization we have set.

Here is also the command line we use to deploy: "msiexec.exe /i "AcroRead.msi" ALLUSERS=1 /q /norestart TRANSFORMS=acroread.mst"

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG7.JPG8.JPG9.JPG10.JPG11.JPG12.JPG13.JPG14.JPG

• 3. Re: Cannot use "Find" function

Thanks for providing the necessary information. From the look of things, there wasnt anything in ther transform that should affect the search functionality.

Would it possible for you to let me know the following:

1. Was the issue happening with Reader 10.1.0 as well or has the issue started occurring after updating to Reader 10.1.1.

2. Are you using MUI Reader or a Localized installation of Adobe Reader on your system.

3. Did you try restarting one of the systems (wherein the issue is occurring). Since, you had suppressed the restarting process, it might be a possibility that some file would get updated post a restart only.

4. Is the issue happening with all the PDFs that you are trying to access or only with a specific subset of PDFs.

Can you try searching for some text in the below mentioned PDF:

kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Enterprise_Administration.pdf

Thanks

Ankit

• 4. Re: Cannot use "Find" function
                rwt-ray Level 1

1. It was happening even before we upgraded to 10.1.1

2. How can I tell?

3. I don't remember that we tried a reboot, I can try.

4. It is happening with any PDF.

• 5. Re: Cannot use "Find" function

Thanks for providing the information.

For point 2 above, you can check the Programs and Features option within the Control Panel and post back what is displayed for the entry for Adobe Reader X.

Also, is the issue seen for all users for whom you have deployed Reader X or for a select few.

• 6. Re: Cannot use "Find" function
                    rwt-ray Level 1

2. It just says "Adobe Reader X (10.1.1) -  the issue is for all users deployed with this package. When using the standard installation package provided by Adobe with no customizations there are no problems.

• 7. Re: Cannot use "Find" function

Sorry for the delay in the response and thanks a ton for sending me the transform file.

I could see that you have made some registry changes (as mentioned below) via the transform, which is preventing the search dialog to be displayed.

Please try and delete the following registry entry and see if the problem is solved.

HKCU/Software/Adobe/Acrobat Reader/10.0/AvDisplay/iFindLoc

If the above works, please try and remove the mentioned registry key from your transform. This will enable all future installations to not have this registry created.

Thanks

Ankit

• 8. Re: Cannot use "Find" function
                        rwt-ray Level 1

I've removed the entry and tried to install and still the same outcome.Capture.JPG