11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2011 7:34 AM by Pho Nyan

5.5 hangs when selecting objects

Pho Nyan

I run a mid-2010 Macbook Pro with Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz and 8gb RAM.

When I click on an object - image, text frame - or page in the Pages panel - there is a big spike in CPU usage (e.g. 3% to 60%) and the whole machine hangs for about 5 seconds before the frame indicates it has been selected. It doesn't do this in CS3 or CS4, and didn't do it in CS5.5 when I first installed it, but it did do it before I upgraded from 4 to 8gb RAM, and before I moved from Snow Leopard to Lion, so it doesn't seem to be an OS/memory problem.

I know there have been similar posts, e.g. http://forums.adobe.com/message/2885091, but none of the suggestions has worked. I have:

- turned off Preflight and Redraw

- rebooted

- re-installed the program

- reset preferences

- reformatted the hard disk and installed the new OS

- quit all other program, closed other ID docs, and ensured RAM and CPU were not overused

- kept at least 15gb free space on the startup disk

- tested it on large docs (200 pages, lots of images with complex effects) and on tiny ones (one page, one small text frame)

The behaviour remains about the same whatever I do.

Acrobat X has been even worse, e.g. selecting a page or opening a tab or even opening a drop-down menu takes 5-10 seconds. It has been like that since the first install, and re-installing has made no difference. (One day it worked well, but I couldn't figure out what I was doing different.) Acrobat 9 used to work fine, but now it is behaving like X.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: 5.5 hangs when selecting objects
          Grant H Level 4

what happens if in ID preferences:Interface / options / live screen drawing you select never or delayed...

G

• 2. Re: 5.5 hangs when selecting objects
            Pho Nyan Level 1

Already set to Never - that's what I meant by turning off Redraw (I used the wrong term). I also moved the Hand Tool (Greeking) slider all the way to the left.

• 3. Re: 5.5 hangs when selecting objects
              Grant H Level 4

Pho: Lion, CS5, (and WACOM) combination has many issues... I (and a lot of designers) wont upgrade to lion untill we know that adobe and apple have sorted numerous issues out...

anyway:

have you got EPS' in the ID File?

are u using font management? (and corrupt fonts and other font probs)

these can be two of the bigger causes for ID performance issues...

G

• 4. Re: 5.5 hangs when selecting objects
                Pho Nyan Level 1

Well I'm pretty sure it did the same under Snow Leopard; Acrobat X was certainly just as bad.

I do happen to have EPSes (and PNGs) in the file I'm working on now as it's an imported Word doc created by someone else. But it does the same in docs with no images at all.

What would be the best way of converting the EPS files to .jpg? Bridge/Camera Raw doesn't seem to be able to convert them at all. Preview and Photoshop won't even open them, saying they can't parse the PostScript. I can do them outside Adobe by batch converting with Adapter or somesuch, but it breaks the links with the files so I'd have to spend ages relinking them.

By font management I assume you mean opening the .indd file from within a package containing a 'Document fonts' folder. I wasn't doing that most of the time but have just tried it now and it makes no difference. The current fonts I am using are:

adler.ttf

Bookman Old Style

Calibri Bold.ttf

Calibri Italic.ttf

Calibri.ttf

Cambria Bold Italic.ttf

Cambria Bold.ttf

Cambria Italic.ttf

Cambria.ttf

Century Gothic

fennariolight.ttf

markingpenheavyregular.ttf

MinionPro-Regular.otf

MyriadPro-Regular.otf

Symbol.ttf

Tahoma Bold.ttf

Tahoma.ttf

TektonPro-Bold.otf

tektonpro-regular.otf

Times New Roman Bold Italic.ttf

Times New Roman Bold.ttf

Times New Roman Italic.ttf

Times New Roman.ttf

Times.dfont

Verdana Bold.ttf

Verdana Italic.ttf

Verdana.ttf

How do I check if they are corrupt?

Anyway, that wouldn't affect all documents would it, just ones using the corrupt fonts?

• 5. Re: 5.5 hangs when selecting objects
                  Grant H Level 4

try this:

Preferences>file handling and uncheck Always save preview images .

re: eps: convert each one to ai (risk involved) or PSD (drawbacks to) and relink.

G

• 6. Re: 5.5 hangs when selecting objects
                    Pho Nyan Level 1

Yeah, that was already off.

As expected, after painstakingly converting and relinking all those EPS files to AI performance is just as bad in that doc and in every other.

PN

• 7. Re: 5.5 hangs when selecting objects
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Pho Nyan wrote:

...but it did do it before I upgraded from 4 to 8gb RAM, and before I moved from Snow Leopard to Lion, so it doesn't seem to be an OS/memory problem.

Maybe, maybe not. Memory, on occasion, does go bad, though it usually shows up in more than one application. My instinct is there may be some other software running that's in conflict.

Do you run Suitcase? Make sure you have the latest patch. Fusion 3 was doing some strange things that were fixed a few weeks ago.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: 5.5 hangs when selecting objects
                        Pho Nyan Level 1

I've never used Suitcase or Fusion, though I have started using VirtualBox

in the past few months. The same problems persist if the VMs are closed and

VB is quit, but I guess I could try uninstalling. It wouldn't explain the

Acrobat issues but now I think about it, the ID 5.5 problems may have

started around the same time that I started using VB. I started using other

apps around then too, e.g. iStat Menus, so I guess I could go through each

and uninstall and retest.

I've tried opening only ID right after rebooting in case there was a

conflict but it behaved the same. I'll try again later and make sure there's

nothing odd running in the background, though I don't know enough about all

the processes to be sure.

• 9. Re: 5.5 hangs when selecting objects
                          Pho Nyan Level 1

1. I tried closing all other apps, but it made no difference. (I didn't try uninstalling things as I assume if it's not running it can't interfere, but correct me if I'm wrong.)

2. I did a Safe Boot. Other stuff like Finder ran very slow, and for some reason 6.5gb of ram was being used even when no apps were open. However, when i finally managed to get ID open it ran perfectly - no lag at all, even on the big, formerly problematic files.

3. I rebooted in normal mode but it went back to its old sluggish ways.

4. I installed Font Explore Pro 3, cleared the font cache, and rebooted, but still no better.

So what can be concluded?

- that there was a conflict with another process that wasn't stopped when all other apps are closed? If so, what could that be?

- that there is some font problem that can't be cured by clearing the cache? I notice safe boot only loads the fonts in /System/Library/Fonts, so maybe there was a corrupt one in the User fonts folder?

- something else?

• 10. Re: 5.5 hangs when selecting objects
                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like you are on the right track, but you have some digging to do. Does the new font utility have a checker for damaged or duplicate fonts? both of those could cause trouble. I'm a Windows user, so I don't know specifically what else might be running in the background on the Mac that could be a problem, sorry.

• 11. Re: 5.5 hangs when selecting objects
                              Pho Nyan Level 1

Well, it took a few more tedious hours but I finally found the culprit: RightZoom

http://download.cnet.com/Right-Zoom/3000-18487_4-10909444.html

It's a very useful little app that gives you the equivalent of Maximise in Windows, which is oddly lacking in OSX. I had it run automatically on login but it doesn't show in the list of running programs (presumably as it's a sort of background app that you normally just turn on then ignore) so I hadn't noticed it when troubleshooting before.

All I had to do was add InDesign and Acrobat the the Exclusions in Configure and they instantly started working normally. The problem starts again instantly if I add them back in, so there is no doubt this is the cause of the problem.

Well, thanks for all your help guys. You might not have solved the problem directly but your 'instinct' that it was a conflict with another app proved well-founded.