what happens if in ID preferences:Interface / options / live screen drawing you select never or delayed...
Already set to Never - that's what I meant by turning off Redraw (I used the wrong term). I also moved the Hand Tool (Greeking) slider all the way to the left.
Pho: Lion, CS5, (and WACOM) combination has many issues... I (and a lot of designers) wont upgrade to lion untill we know that adobe and apple have sorted numerous issues out...
have you got EPS' in the ID File?
are u using font management? (and corrupt fonts and other font probs)
these can be two of the bigger causes for ID performance issues...
Well I'm pretty sure it did the same under Snow Leopard; Acrobat X was certainly just as bad.
I do happen to have EPSes (and PNGs) in the file I'm working on now as it's an imported Word doc created by someone else. But it does the same in docs with no images at all.
What would be the best way of converting the EPS files to .jpg? Bridge/Camera Raw doesn't seem to be able to convert them at all. Preview and Photoshop won't even open them, saying they can't parse the PostScript. I can do them outside Adobe by batch converting with Adapter or somesuch, but it breaks the links with the files so I'd have to spend ages relinking them.
By font management I assume you mean opening the .indd file from within a package containing a 'Document fonts' folder. I wasn't doing that most of the time but have just tried it now and it makes no difference. The current fonts I am using are:
Bookman Old Style
Cambria Bold Italic.ttf
Times New Roman Bold Italic.ttf
Times New Roman Bold.ttf
Times New Roman Italic.ttf
Times New Roman.ttf
How do I check if they are corrupt?
Anyway, that wouldn't affect all documents would it, just ones using the corrupt fonts?
Preferences>file handling and uncheck Always save preview images .
re: eps: convert each one to ai (risk involved) or PSD (drawbacks to) and relink.
Yeah, that was already off.
As expected, after painstakingly converting and relinking all those EPS files to AI performance is just as bad in that doc and in every other.
1 person found this helpful
Pho Nyan wrote:
...but it did do it before I upgraded from 4 to 8gb RAM, and before I moved from Snow Leopard to Lion, so it doesn't seem to be an OS/memory problem.
Maybe, maybe not. Memory, on occasion, does go bad, though it usually shows up in more than one application. My instinct is there may be some other software running that's in conflict.
Do you run Suitcase? Make sure you have the latest patch. Fusion 3 was doing some strange things that were fixed a few weeks ago.
I've never used Suitcase or Fusion, though I have started using VirtualBox
in the past few months. The same problems persist if the VMs are closed and
VB is quit, but I guess I could try uninstalling. It wouldn't explain the
Acrobat issues but now I think about it, the ID 5.5 problems may have
started around the same time that I started using VB. I started using other
apps around then too, e.g. iStat Menus, so I guess I could go through each
and uninstall and retest.
I've tried opening only ID right after rebooting in case there was a
conflict but it behaved the same. I'll try again later and make sure there's
nothing odd running in the background, though I don't know enough about all
the processes to be sure.
1. I tried closing all other apps, but it made no difference. (I didn't try uninstalling things as I assume if it's not running it can't interfere, but correct me if I'm wrong.)
2. I did a Safe Boot. Other stuff like Finder ran very slow, and for some reason 6.5gb of ram was being used even when no apps were open. However, when i finally managed to get ID open it ran perfectly - no lag at all, even on the big, formerly problematic files.
3. I rebooted in normal mode but it went back to its old sluggish ways.
4. I installed Font Explore Pro 3, cleared the font cache, and rebooted, but still no better.
So what can be concluded?
- that there was a conflict with another process that wasn't stopped when all other apps are closed? If so, what could that be?
- that there is some font problem that can't be cured by clearing the cache? I notice safe boot only loads the fonts in /System/Library/Fonts, so maybe there was a corrupt one in the User fonts folder?
- something else?
Sounds like you are on the right track, but you have some digging to do. Does the new font utility have a checker for damaged or duplicate fonts? both of those could cause trouble. I'm a Windows user, so I don't know specifically what else might be running in the background on the Mac that could be a problem, sorry.
Well, it took a few more tedious hours but I finally found the culprit: RightZoom
It's a very useful little app that gives you the equivalent of Maximise in Windows, which is oddly lacking in OSX. I had it run automatically on login but it doesn't show in the list of running programs (presumably as it's a sort of background app that you normally just turn on then ignore) so I hadn't noticed it when troubleshooting before.
All I had to do was add InDesign and Acrobat the the Exclusions in Configure and they instantly started working normally. The problem starts again instantly if I add them back in, so there is no doubt this is the cause of the problem.
Well, thanks for all your help guys. You might not have solved the problem directly but your 'instinct' that it was a conflict with another app proved well-founded.