4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2011 2:49 PM by Ann Bens

H.264 Blu-Ray rendered .m4v files won't playback in any media player except Adobe software

SabinVI

Hello guys and thank you in advance for your help. I am going to pull my hair out!

I had to reinstall Windows 7 and am experiencing an issue that is driving me crazy. All of my 720p H.264 Blu-Ray.m4v files rendered with After Effects will not play in any player I try in Windows. I've tried Windows Media Player, VLC, and Media Player Classic. I've tried with a clean install and no other codecs except those included with Windows 7. I've tried installing additional h.264 codecs. I've tried installing ffdshow and other codecs as well and no matter what I do, the files will not play at all.

The only way I can preview the file it to load it in AE or Encore or something similiar. Unfortunately, this is not the best solution for me. I'd love to be able to preview the files quickly and efficiently through Windows Explorer / Media Player without opening Adobe software. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Another issue is that before I reinstalled Windows that these files played back just fine in Windows Media Player! I don't know why it was working and now it's not on a clean install. All of the hardware is the same. On the original working install, I don't recall installing any additional codec packs or anything. It just worked...

Regular .mp4 H.264 files (not Blu-Ray) play just fine in all players. Something the Blu-Ray spec is doing to the file causes it to not work. And changing the extension to mp4 does nothing.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong! Is it something with the Mainconcept codec? Is it something with my drivers? What am I missing?!?