4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2011 6:17 AM by harvey waxman

DW8 to CS5?

harvey waxman Level 1

I'm not a developer but a user who has a few websites to maintain.  I started with DWMX (Mac) and now use DW8. Are there important reasons to move to CS5.  eg. Better, more acceptable code, new features unavailable in 8?

Thanks

• 1. Re: DW8 to CS5?
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

Better, more compliant code would be more accurate.  Also it's the last chance for you to upgrade.  Adobe only allows you to upgrade 3 versions beyond the one you have.  And with an upgrade cycle that averages up to 18-24 months that means you only have to make one upgrade every 5-6 years.  So once CS6 is announced and moves into the store you have to pay full price again for a new license.  Personally for that reason alone I think you should upgrade.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DW8 to CS5?
            harvey waxman Level 1

Thanks.

• 3. Re: DW8 to CS5?
              MurraySummers Level 8

When/if you upgrade, be prepared for a bit of a learning curve.  Not only has much changed on the web since DW8 days, much has also changed in DW.  Some (many?) of your old methods either won't work or require a different approach.  I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't upgrade, but you should also be prepared for a different environment when you do.  DW is much more CSS-centric, and much more valid-code-centric.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DW8 to CS5?
                harvey waxman Level 1

Thanks. All good to know.