4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2011 8:54 AM by ozDiGennaro

Dispatching & listening for custom events from custom component [Flex 4.1]

martinjconnolly

I'm giving this a try for the first time and I'm not sure I have the recipe correct!

I have a custom component - it contains a data grid where I want to double click a row and dispatch an event that a row has been chosen.

I created a custom event

package oss

{

import flash.events.Event;

public class PersonChosenEvent extends Event

{

public function PersonChosenEvent(type:String, bubbles:Boolean=false, cancelable:Boolean=false)

{

super(type, bubbles, cancelable);

}

// Define static constant.

public static const PERSON_CHOSEN:String = "personChosen";

// Define a public variable to hold the state of the enable property.

public var isEnabled:Boolean;

// Override the inherited clone() method.

override public function clone():Event {

return new PersonChosenEvent(type);

}

}

}

Then I try to dispatch the event within the component when the datagrid is doubleclicked:

import oss.PersonChosenEvent

dispatchEvent(new PersonChosenEvent(PersonChosenEvent.PERSON_CHOSEN, true, false));

And in the parent application containing the component I do on creationComplete

addEventListener(PersonChosenEvent.PERSON_CHOSEN,addPersonToList);

The event does not seem to fire though. And if I try to evaluate the "new PersonChosenEvent(..." code it tells me "no such variable".

What am I doing wrong?

(It was so easy in VisualAge for Java, what have we done in the last 10 years?? )

Martin

• 1. Re: Dispatching & listening for custom events from custom component [Flex 4.1]
          Claudiu Ursica Level 4

I think your clone does not passes the bubbling as true. So you kind of need to do that yourself ...

C

• 2. Re: Dispatching & listening for custom events from custom component [Flex 4.1]
            UbuntuPenguin Level 4

(It was so easy in VisualAge for Java, what have we done in the last 10 years?? )

ಠ_ಠ

• 3. Re: Dispatching & listening for custom events from custom component [Flex 4.1]
              martinjconnolly Level 1

I meant creating and promoting events was easy in VA Java. The IDE took care of it. Perhaps Flash Builder should do something similar. All this hand-coding makes me cranky....

• 4. Re: Dispatching & listening for custom events from custom component [Flex 4.1]
                ozDiGennaro Level 1

I've done this kind of thing routinely, when I want to add information to the event.  I never code the "clone" method at all.

Be sure that you are listening to the event on a parent of the dispatching component.

You can also have the dispatching component listen for the event too, and use trace() to get a debug message.

I doubt if it has anything to to with "bubbles" since the default is true.

Sample code

In a child (BorderContainer)

dispatchEvent(new ActivationEvent(ActivationEvent.CREATION_COMPLETE,null,window));

In the container parent (BorderContainer)

activation.addEventListener(ActivationEvent.CREATION_COMPLETE,activationEvent);

package components.events

{

import components.containers.SemanticWindow;

import components.triples.SemanticActivation;

import flash.events.Event;

public class ActivationEvent extends Event

{

public static const LOADED:String = "ActivationEvent: loaded";

public static const CREATION_COMPLETE:String = "ActivationEvent: creation complete";

public static const RELOADED:String = "ActivationEvent: reloaded";

public static const LEFT_SIDE:String = "ActivationEvent: left side";

public static const RIGHT_SIDE:String = "ActivationEvent: right side";

private var _activation:SemanticActivation;

private var _window:SemanticWindow;

public function ActivationEvent(type:String, activation:SemanticActivation, window:SemanticWindow)

{

super(type);

_activation = activation;

_window = window

}

public function get activation():SemanticActivation {

return _activation;

}

public function get window():SemanticWindow{

return _window;

}

}