23 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2011 11:44 AM by Paka222

Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5

Paka222

I am running a MacBook Pro (2.5 GH Intel Core 2 Duo) with OS 10.6.8 and I am having some problems when exporting a file from InDesign 5.5 to PDF format. The file is a 56-page book originally created in CS3 (maybe even CS2 – who knows) and exported to .IDML prior to making changes. When I export the entire book to PDF using my own custom PDF presets some of the elements (a few coloured bars) that are housed on some of the master pages disappear, but are there on other pages using the exact same master pages. When I use one of the inDesign presets [smallest file size] or [high quality print], the problem disappears so I deleted all my custom presets and using the inDesign presets as a starting point I created new ones, but the problem is still there. Even simple modifications to the original inDesign presets such as adding crops caused the problem to reappear. The strange thing is, as a workaround, I exported just the pages that had the problem to PDF using my custom presets, and the pages are fine. I also tried unlocking all master page items on the troublsome pages (Pages > Unlock All Master Pag Items) but this caused the same problems to appear on other pages of the document (kind of a domino effect). What is going on? I don't have CS3 on my machine any more so I can't export my files to INX and I've already made extensive changes to the document so even if I did, it's not an option now. It scares me to think I have to scour all my recalled/converted files for missing master page elements when I export to PDF. Any ideas how to fix the problem permanently?

• 1. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Are you using 7.5.1, the latest update?

• 2. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
            Grant H Level 4

originally created in CS3 (maybe even CS2 – who knows) and exported to .IDML

why dont u just open the CS3 file with CS5.5...then make changes and export? May elliminate certain ... issues...

G.

Ps. may take a while to open...

• 3. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you still have CS3, I'd open the file in that, export to .inx, and open the .inx in CS5.5.

There are other reports of strangeness when working with CS3 files in CS5 and 5.5, and a trip through .inx from CS3 usually solves the problem.

• 4. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                Paka222 Level 1

I guess I can reload CS3, but how do I port my now modified CS5.5 back down to CS3? Do I export as a IDML and then open in CS3 and then export from CS3 to INX? I've made too many changes to go back to the original CS3 file.

Chris

• 5. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                  Grant H Level 4

actualy: if it was exported as IDML then it must have been done from CS4, and opening the original CS4 (in CS5) file will be perfect!..

G

• 6. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                    Paka222 Level 1

Okay, I have tried as you suggested, but that did not work either. In fact, now I have one additional page that is missing the same bar as the other pages. Any other suggestions?

• 7. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                      Paka222 Level 1

Actually, I'm using 7.5, I haven't received notification of another update. I will check.

Chris

• 8. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                        Paka222 Level 1

I used to do that unitl I realized it opens up a whole host of other bugs if you don't at least run it though IDML before you use legacy files.

Chris

• 9. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5

Paka222 wrote:

I guess I can reload CS3, but how do I port my now modified CS5.5 back down to CS3? Do I export as a IDML and then open in CS3 and then export from CS3 to INX? I've made too many changes to go back to the original CS3 file.

Chris

You misunderstood. Run the original CS3 file through .inx, not the already converted file.

The latest patch for CS5.5 is 7.5.1, and you definitely need to install it. That alone amy solve your problem.

• 10. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                            Paka222 Level 1

i downloaded the patch, but that didn't work. As I said in my post, going back to the original file is not an option at this point – too many changes have been made to the file so it's just too late for that. – but out of curiosity, I did recall the original file, exported to INX and then opened the file in CS5.5 and the problem still persisted (actually it was much much worse). It's starting to look as if the only real fix for this i to recreate the file from scratch.

Chris

• 11. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                              John Hawkinson Level 5
                              I guess I can reload CS3, but how do I port my now modified CS5.5 back down to CS3?

It sounds like this is the way to go.

You must export to IDML from CS5.5, open that in CS4, and export to INX, and open that in CS3.

If you don't have CS4, Peter or I will be happy to convert it for you. Peter's usually up much earlier than I am and I'm about to go to bed, but you can email it to me or PM Peter (or both).

• 12. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5

Paka222 wrote:

i downloaded the patch, but that didn't work. As I said in my post, going back to the original file is not an option at this point – too many changes have been made to the file so it's just too late for that. – but out of curiosity, I did recall the original file, exported to INX and then opened the file in CS5.5 and the problem still persisted (actually it was much much worse). It's starting to look as if the only real fix for this i to recreate the file from scratch.

Chris

This is not good news, and it makes me think that there are some fundamental problems with the file. There was a bug back in CS3, if I recall correctly, that master items that spanned across the gutter would disappear from one side (don't recall if it was the left or right) when you mixed masters in a spread. We havn't seen what's disappearing in your PDF, but could that be it?

If so, the fix is simple. You break the element into two pieces that butt at the spine on the master. Other issues with master objects failing to export properly are often worked around (and I don't like to do this, but time may be a factor) by overriding them onto the document page on those pages where they don't show in the PDF.

• 13. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                                  Paka222 Level 1

Peter Spier wrote:

This is not good news, and it makes me think that there are some fundamental problems with the file. There was a bug back in CS3, if I recall correctly, that master items that spanned across the gutter would disappear from one side (don't recall if it was the left or right) when you mixed masters in a spread. We havn't seen what's disappearing in your PDF, but could that be it?

If so, the fix is simple. You break the element into two pieces that butt at the spine on the master. Other issues with master objects failing to export properly are often worked around (and I don't like to do this, but time may be a factor) by overriding them onto the document page on those pages where they don't show in the PDF.

I have had that problem before with elements that span the master page, but that's not the case here. What's dropping out is a narrow coloured bar that bleeds down the left side of the page. The strange thing is that it doesn't happen when I print the individual pages or when I print the whole document as spreads, or when I use the InDesign presets. It only happens when I print the whole document with crops and/or PDFX-1a options. I've included samples of one page below...

Sample 1.jpg   Sample 2.jpg

As you can see, in the image on the left, the bar along the left bleed is missing. It's happened on only 5 pages and the only thing that has dropped out is the bleed bar. This job has gone to print, so It's not of immediate concern but without a fix I'm really worried I might experience this problem with other recalled files in the future. As I said, I don't even remember what version of CS this file was originally created in, so there is a chance that the file has been corrupted somewhere down the line.

• 14. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5

That looks for all the world like the page has been cropped...

• 15. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                                      John Hawkinson Level 5

As I said, I don't even remember what version of CS this file was originally created in, so there is a chance that the file has been corrupted somewhere down the line. 

This is easy to determine.

Hold down Command and select InDesign > About InDesign and look in the Document History box in the lower-left corner of the window. Alternatively, you can click the button to save the history to a text file and review it in TextEdit (or whatever).

• 16. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                                        Paka222 Level 1

Thanks, didn't know that was there. As I suspected the original file was created in inDesign version 4.0.1 (CS2 I believe) in 2007.

• 17. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                                          Paka222 Level 1

Yeah, sorry, I opened the PDF in photoshop to create the jpg and forgot to select Crop to Trim Box instead of Bounding Box. Here is the correct file...

Sample 1b.jpg

• 18. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                                            mpc999 Level 2

The two pages you have posted are different widths. When you print with crop marks, do the crop marks indicate different widths? That is, are the problem pages defined as narrower pages in InDesign 5.5? When you print directly from InDesign to spreads or individual pages and it looks OK, is it because you are showing bleed and the problem bar is actually in the bleed area of a narrower page?

Never mind. Posted before the message right above appeared indicating the shots you posted earlier were wrong.

• 19. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                                              Paka222 Level 1

No, that's not the problem. Please see my reply to Peter, I just created the jpg version incorrectly and it cut off the edge of the page. The two files are from the exact same document, one was printed as a single page and the other was written as part of the complete document.

Chris

• 20. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5

Nothing more I can tell you without looking at the actual file. Bad news is I'm out stright for the next three or four days, so I'm not going to volunteer to do that right now, but maybe John, Bob ,or one of the others would take a look.

• 21. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                                                  Paka222 Level 1

Okay, thanks for all your help.

Chris

• 22. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                                                    John Hawkinson Level 5

Nothing more I can tell you without looking at the actual file. Bad news is I'm out stright for the next three or four days, so I'm not going to volunteer to do that right now, but maybe John, Bob ,or one of the others would take a look.

Well, if you want to email the file I can look at it, and I can also give you a CS3 version (or tell you if I see the problem in CS3 and/or CS4).

• 23. Re: Elements disappear when Exporting PDF from CS5.5
                                                      Paka222 Level 1

Okay, I fixed it. It took some work but now when I write the complete file everything appears as it should. I recreated each of the master pages from scratch – creating a new master page and adding each of the elements as new components (I didn't copy and paste anything from the old master onto the new master just in case there was something wrong there). Then I replaced the existing masters with the new ones and deleted all the old masters and hurrah it worked. I'm guessing somewhere along the line the master pages themselves got corrupted. Anyway, thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.