7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2011 12:37 AM by Tai Lao

CS5 can't open my raw files, can you help?

gces

I'm a new CS5 user and I'm trying to open my first RAW file. When I tried to open the file (I actually tried with different raw files) by going to file - open and selecting the folder with my raw pictures I get the error below.

'Could not complete your request because the file appears to be from a camera model which is not supported by the installed version of Camera Raw.

Please visit the Camera Raw help documentation for additional information.'

Background:

The files were exported from iPhoto along with their corresponding JPG files both in their original kind/format; JPG or CR2. I placed them into a new folder under the Photoshop application.

I'm using a Canon Rebel XSi EOS 450D which appears to be supported since the 4.4 plug in. I have already installed the latest plug in, the 6.5 and I have confirmed it's installation by going to Photoshop - About Plug In - Camera Raw.

I have uninstalled the application already, and I have already re-installed it. Still doesn't work. I'm not sure what else I should try or what am I doing wrong. Please help!

Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: CS5 can't open my raw files, can you help?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

iPhoto may have done something to the CR2 files, although a Mac user may be able to give more specific information.  I have the same camera and RAW files have worked for several versions of CS, already.  

Can you post a link to one of the CR2s for others to take a look at?  If you don’t have your own website, then use www.yousendit.com (send the file to your own e-mail and post the link) or www.dropbox.com (post the public link to the file).

• 2. Re: CS5 can't open my raw files, can you help?
            Noel Carboni Level 7

Something you could do to try to eliminate the possibility that iPhoto has changed your file contents is to look online for .cr2 files from your camera, download one, and try to open it.  If it opens, then suspicions fall on the process of exporting the image files.

-Noel

• 3. Re: CS5 can't open my raw files, can you help?
              gces Level 1

Thank you for looking into this. It looks like iPhoto did change the raw files. I re-imported the ones I still had from my camera into my computer (not to iPhoto) and was able to open them with CS5.

So the issue now is how to open raw files in camera raw that were first imported into iPhoto.

• 4. Re: CS5 can't open my raw files, can you help?
                Jeff Schewe Level 5

gces wrote:

So the issue now is how to open raw files in camera raw that were first imported into iPhoto.

You'll need to dig down to get all your raw originals out of iPhoto...

Go to your User folder, Pictures, and click on your iPhoto Library...don't double click it, when you click on it hold down the control key and get the context menu...from there select Show Package Contents. The Contents will open and there will be a subfolder named Originals, that's where your original files live both raw and non-raw.

This is iPhoto's heavy handed approach to dealing with original images...kinda sucks but on the other hand, most people who use iPhoto don't really want to deal with all their originals being placed all over the place by themselves. So, iPhoto forces you into a very strict structure that makes it difficult to locate your originals. When Apple first shipped Aperture they tried to force the same embedded file structure till users freaked out and changed the app. But iPhoto remains this way...

You should be able to get all your original raw files out of iPhoto's grasp this way...good luck.

• 5. Re: CS5 can't open my raw files, can you help?
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am a PC guy but here are instructions about getting to the CR2 files that have been injected into iPhoto:

“You can't get the raw file from iPhoto without actually digging down into the library. If you do a right click on the actual iPhoto Library (prolly inside your User/Pictures/iPhoto Library), you can use the command Show Package Contents. Inside there will be a subfolder named 'Originals' that should contain your original raw files.”

Here is the original thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3844283#3844283

• 6. Re: CS5 can't open my raw files, can you help?
                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

That's what I said bud (in both the linked URL and here)...

:~)

Look, iPhoto is a strange bird...something advanced users (or people who wanna use ACR or LR) wanna stay away from!

• 7. Re: CS5 can't open my raw files, can you help?
                      Level 4

Jeff Schewe wrote:

…iPhoto is a strange bird...something advanced users (or people who wanna use ACR or LR) wanna stay away from!

Very well put.  Nothing else needs to be said in regards to iPhoto.