4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 1:00 AM by TᴀW

    Convert URL to Hyperlink fails with long hyperlinks


      Using InDesign CS5, I have a document with thousands of URLs, some of them very long.  Weeks ago, I used Convert URL to Hyperlink from the Hyperlinks panel menu. I used Convert All. After exporting to ePub, I discover that about 10% of the URLs were detected wrong by InDesign CS5.

      For example, this URL:


      was converted to a hyperlink of:



      I have hundreds of examples. It is not always a dash that caused the problem.


      This URL was split into two hyperlinks with some non-hyperlink text in the middle.

      Original text: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1647452,00.html

      After using Convert URL to Hyperlink, I now have:

      First hyperlink:  http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article

      text in the middle without a hyperlink:  ,9171,1647452,

      Second hyperlink:  00.html


      Apparently, there are a bunch of characters which are valid inside a hyperlink that fool InDesign into thinking the URL has ended.


      I don't suspect that there is a solution to this problem, other than to not use Convert URL to Hyperlink. Right now, I am manually editing each of the screwed-up hyperlinks in the .xhtml file that I unzipped from the ePub.