4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2011 8:18 PM by Frédéric Segard

Installing the Production Premium on 2006 Mac Pro

I have a 2006 Mac Pro that I would like to run the Creative Suite Production Premium  on, but I am afraid the computer is too out dated.

Here are the specs:

"The Mac Pro "Quad Core" 2.0 is powered by two 2.0 GHz dual core Intel Xeon 5130 processors with 4 MB of shared level 2 cache per processor, a 128-bit SSE3 vector engine, and 1.33 GHz "64-bit dual independent frontside buses.".

"By default, it was configured with 1.0 GB of 667 MHz DDR2 ECC "fully-buffered" FB-DIMM memory (with a heatsink design that is a bit different from generic FB-DIMMs), a 250 GB (7200 RPM) 3 Gb/s Serial ATA hard drive, a double-layer 16X "SuperDrive", and a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT video card with 256 MB of GDDR2 SDRAM, one dual-link DVI port and one single-link DVI port."

I know I would need more RAM (if they even make it any more).

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Installing the Production Premium on 2006 Mac Pro
          RjL190365 Level 4

Your system is severely outdated for Production Premium CS5.x. The CPU dates all the way back to when the Core 2 Duo E6300 and E6400 were brand new. The 7300 GT not only predates CUDA, but is also extremely slow. Furthermore, any additional RAM would have been a total waste of money because that system would have run CS5.x slower than even today's low-end PC (you see, DDR2 RAM now costs twice as much money per GB as DDR3 RAM, and fully-buffered RAM costs much more money than unbuffered non-ECC RAM). And the version of OSX that's installed in that 2006 system is well below the minimum version required by Adobe. Worst of all, that 2006 Mac Pro does not support any of the new, updated parts that would have been required just to run CS5.x at all.

So in other words, save up for a completely new build.

• 2. Re: Installing the Production Premium on 2006 Mac Pro
            dlipp0033 Level 1

Thanks for your response. I thought that was going to be the case.

• 3. Re: Installing the Production Premium on 2006 Mac Pro
              Frédéric Segard Level 2

Many things to say about it. But it depends on how much your willing to invest in upgrading it. Because it will be just as costly then to get a newer and faster PC.

CPU: You can slowly get by with two dual core chips. But any i7 Sandy Bridge CPU will blow it out of the sky. Upgrading your current CPUs might be a big challenge in availability.

RAM: Oh yes, 1 GB is not good at all. A strict minimum is 8GB for a dual Xeon. But I'd go with a minimum of 16GB. You could get Kingston memory that will fit in your MacPro.

Hard disk: While your current 250GB can be good enough for your OS and programs. I'd consider getting a new one. It is after all almost 6 years old. But, you do need at least 2 separates hard drives to separate the load between the project/media and cache/previews. Of course, that depends largely on the footage type you have.  More disks may be needed.

GPU: Don't count on hardware MPE with the GeForce 7300GT. You'll run software only. And running software only will not be that fast with the CPUs you have. Heck, a latest MacBookPro will still probably be faster in software MPE. So if you want to have a relatively descent machine to edit on with hardware MPE active, your only choice is the Quadro 4000 for the Mac.

Conclusion... If you're even thinking of getting a Quadro 4000 to boost the systems performance, then don't.... All in all, your system is too underpowered in general, and requires a lot of investment for not much. Can you get by? Perhaps... then again... it all depends on what you are going to do. If you make any sort of living with editing... you should not consider upgrading it... and go with a faster, more modern PC. Otherwise you'll just feel unsatisfied with the experience.

• 4. Re: Installing the Production Premium on 2006 Mac Pro
                Frédéric Segard Level 2

My response was too slow!  hehe  Got beat to the punch.