12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2011 8:06 AM by Mr. Met

Wht's the story Adobe?

enzoconti Level 1

Why wont Adobe come clean?

Clearly CS5 is rife with problems, I am spending so much time trouble shooting problems in Indesign that it's becoming counter-productive. It's been 1 year since I upgraded to 5 and I haven't had 1 day of problem free work. From single page flyers right through to hundred page full colour docs, it's all a nightmare on Indesign5. Fix one problem and it's on to the next! I don't have time to go into specifics, but I reckon I've experienced almost every problem reported on this forum.

Speaking of this forum, my most sincere thanks to all who contribute to these boards, without your help I'd be back to Quark by now!

I'd just like to hear from Mr. Adobe!!! CS3 was a dream to work on. WTF happened???

• 1. Re: Wht's the story Adobe?
          laws2151 Level 1

I second this. On a fairly new iMac, CS5 ran with virtually no issues. CS5.5 seems to absorb the day with workarounds and restarts.

Is there really a Mr. Adobe? There a couple listed in phone book, you should call them!

• 2. Re: Wht's the story Adobe?
            mckayk_777 Level 2

From what I have seen and read on these pages I have no intention at this stage to upgrading to CS5 or higher, Good old CS4 is doing everything I need.

Also: Is CS5.5 more for those that are doing epub and the like more so then tradional publications.

• 3. Re: Wht's the story Adobe?
              enzoconti Level 1

Let me assure you mckayk and anybody else on CS4 and under, InDesign 5 has some very troubling issues! Whilst I am still able to be somewhat productive, it is no where near the efficient, smooth, seamless operation I was used to with CS3.

InDesign 5 has some amazing features and on the face of it, looks well worth the upgrade. However, the constant crashes and incessant bugs make it incredibly frustrating to use. I have been on the phone on and off for over a year with Adobe to no avail, something is rotten in InDesign, I just know it.

• 4. Re: Wht's the story Adobe?
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Without any specifics nobody can help you at all.

What bugs? What crashes?

I've been on since it came out. And I have had my crashes, the same as I had with CS3 and CS2. And bugs, like with CS3 and CS2.

CS5 has been great it's greatly sped up production for the magazine with it's new feautres which are a dream come true. Thing that took me a day in CS3 are done in an hour with CS5.

So without specifics this thread is pointless. Hardly any adobe employee visits these forums, and if they do they only respond to fully explained bugs and crashes that people experience.

If you can't take the time to elaborate on the problems you're having then this thread is fairly pointless.

• 5. Re: Wht's the story Adobe?
                  M Blackburn Level 3

The OP posts that there are serious issues with CS5. Then laws2151 "seconds that" by saying "CS5 ran with virtually no issues." What?

I second Eugene: "What bugs? What crashes?" I don't see any major issues with CS5.

• 6. Re: Wht's the story Adobe?
                    Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

Unfortunately, I have several major issues with ID CS5, that I regularly report to Adobe (and sometimes here in the forum, if I suspect there could be some help from the nice users). Since most of my problems seem related to newly added features (like - but not exclusively - conditional text and cross-references), I suspect most traditional users do not even touch them.

Please note that some time ago I had an issue with an upgrade to FireWorks; the support tech at the phone suggested me to reinstall the full CS5 package, just to discover, a few days later, that Adobe acknowledged the issue as an issue in the installation app. I'm not totally sure, at this point, that my bug reports reach anyone at Adobe.

I have been working with FrameMaker on the Mac everyday for something like ten years, with a couple crashes during the whole time. Switching to the much more fragile InDesign is quite a different experience. Maybe this app tries to be too much to everybody, and sometimes remains a bit back.

Paolo

• 7. Re: Wht's the story Adobe?
                      enzoconti Level 1

Sorry Folks!, but I'm not here looking for solutions from people who may or may not be Adobe employees. As I stated in my OP, most people on this forum have been very helpful in the past, and so this is just a "Heads up" to anyone thinking about the Pro's and Con's of InDesign 5. If M Blackburn and E Tyson have had no bad experiences with InDesign that's good and great for them! I on the other hand (and many thousands of other's) aren't so lucky. I have been in constant contact with Adobe for over 12 month's to resolve these problems and we're still going!

Clearly I'm not the only one who's having problems, a quick search through these forums will tell you that.

For the record, I would like to state that whilst I am having problems with InDesign, it is still an amazing program and I couldn't do without it. I would just like some TRUTHFUL answers from Adobe.

• 8. Re: Wht's the story Adobe?
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

enzoconti wrote:

Clearly I'm not the only one who's having problems, a quick search through these forums will tell you that.

I can't offer statisitics, but keep in mind that people who post here are nearly uninversally having some sort of problem. Users without trouble don't come here, and they are the VAST majority.

Of those that do have trouble and post here, I would say that we are able to solve about 90%, perhaps more, of the issues. The vast majority of problems fall into either user error, corrupt preferences, corrupt documents (for whatever reason), or some sort of configuration problem or conflict specific to the user. Some of these are common, and we have effective solutions, some turn out to be bugs that have already been fixed, and a very small number are things that either we've never seen reported or are in fact actual bugs that we cannot solve.

In the case of real bugs (the vast minority of reports), if they are likely to turn up in normal use for a large percentage of users, that's generally reflected here in the number of posts that talk about them. If only one or two users mention something, it's most likely either not a bug at all, or it's very obscure and requires some very particular configuration or a particular sequence of commands or document structure to trigger it. Until the cause can be pinned down and the bug reliably reproduced at will, there is little opportunity to fix it. Have you filed reports that include sample files that are causing trouble?

• 9. Re: Wht's the story Adobe?
                          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

"I can't offer statisitics, but keep in mind that people who post here

are nearly uninversally having some sort of problem. Users without

trouble don't come here, and they are the VAST majority."

I also cannot offer statistics. On the other hand, I guess that for

every user that bothers coming on the forums seeking a solution for a

bug there are dozens of other users who don't bother.

• 10. Re: Wht's the story Adobe?
                            enzoconti Level 1

Thanks for your reply Peter, I have read many of your posts and have found you to be incredibly knowledgable with InDesign. You have in fact inadvertently solved many of my problems.

I have actually sent Adobe all my log files which are currently being diagnosed by their guru's, fingers crossed!

Failing this current attempt for resolution, I will surely be seeking your specific advise.

Stay tuned.

• 11. Re: Wht's the story Adobe?
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Arïel wrote:

"I can't offer statisitics, but keep in mind that people who post here

are nearly uninversally having some sort of problem. Users without

trouble don't come here, and they are the VAST majority."

I also cannot offer statistics. On the other hand, I guess that for

every user that bothers coming on the forums seeking a solution for a

bug there are dozens of other users who don't bother.

That's no doubt true, but the number of users not having problems is orders of magnitude larger than those who do.

• 12. Re: Wht's the story Adobe?
                                Mr. Met Level 3

I'm a little late to the party but a lot of crashes are usually font related and have been for years. Having said that, I don't use the conditional text or cross-referencing features. I've found 5 to be faster than 4 and crashes for me about the same as 3 or 4 which is occasionally.