10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2011 6:19 PM by Toi B

Can i add another page number to my page?

Toi B

My document is divided into 2 sections, with the 2nd section re-starting at page 1.

Now my printer is asking that I put new page numbers on the bleed area, which should be continuous, disregarding the section numbering. It is supposed to be their guide for an "imposed dummy".

Is there a way to put new, different page numbers in the bleed area, and still retain the original numbering of the different sections?

And in case that is not possible:

These page numbers don't have to be "official." I just need a way to put the numbers there that I don't have to type the darn things

• 1. Re: Can i add another page number to my page?
          Toi B Level 1

OK, now i see a similar question by depot1 (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3159458#3159458) and the replies were great.

I'll try to place my document into a new one. Then i'll try the multipage-importer script posted by Dog of war.

So i guess i can consider my question answered, unless somebody else has a better idea?

• 2. Re: Can i add another page number to my page?
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why a printer would ask for anything beyond the artwork to be printed in the BLEED area is beyond me?

Why they need page numbers in the BLEED area is beyond me.

Any printers worth their salt can do impositions in their sleep.

To elaborate

The bleed area is specifically for mechanical and human errors that can cause a page to shift when being moved, and it's vital for when being trimmed. Without bleed you run the risk of a sliver of white showing when the guillotine misses the crop line slightly. Bleed covers this due to the artwork extending 3 to 5 mm past the trim marks.

If anything appears in the Bleed area it has a chance of appearing in the overall printed job. So if you put numbers in the bleed area, there's a small chance that that number will appear in the printed job.

Nothing but the Artwork should appear in the Bleed.

You set the Bleed to 3 to 5 mm you should also offset your crop marks to the same distance as the bleed so they don't encroach the bleed.

• 3. Re: Can i add another page number to my page?

I'd be severely concerned about a printers that required me to add extra page numbers to a job so they could impose it.

Concerns would be the printers haven't a clue what they're doing, and if they can't do impositions, then I have to ask what else they can't do.

• 4. Re: Can i add another page number to my page?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm inclined to agree with Eugene, up to a point.

First, if you are going to add additional numbers, do it in the SLUG area (add a slug in Documrnt setup, And include Slug Area in the export options) which is additional area added OUTSIDE the bleed for this purpose.

Next, I think you need to re-evaluate your numbering scheme. It's fine to restart numbering, but it's confusing as heck for everyone (and for ID) if each sequence uses the same number style. ID will complain about it when you leave the Section and Numberiing Options dialog, if you do. It's fairly traditional to use lower-case roman numerals for the front section and arabic numerals for the body of the book, at least in English. You don't say what language you are using, but if you send a book to be printed to that runs right-to-left in a shop that normally produces left-to-right, or vice versa, I can see where number duplication would be a particular headache.

Now that I"ve said those things, I also agree with the printer that it would be very nice to have a page number reference for EVERY page that they can check in the proof stage. It isn't too hard to tell when pages with text content are misplaced (though sometimes you have to read the book to spot it), but a completely blank page or one with only art has no frame of reference. I have a 438-page book at the printer's right now, being printed digitally with two-pages per side of each sheet. That's a lot of pieces of paper to keep track of during binding, and I've repeated the current page marker on every page in the slug area. Most pages have two numbers, blanks have only the one that will be trimmed off. Anyone can tell at a glance if the sequence is correct.

Notice that I repeated the current page marker. If there is no ambiguity about the numbering systems, you don't need to have two different (and confusing) numbers. I suspect the printer is trying to tell you that if you have two pages with the same number assigned, and that number is not marked in a visually distinct manner, his workers who don't necessarily read the language on your pages may not be able to tell, not during imposition, but after folding and assembling the dummy, if they have all the pages in the correct order.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Can i add another page number to my page?
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Relax, Eugene. It's only for the printer's peace of mind in case the actual page numbering is missing (unnumbered pages) or totally out of whack (preamble, artistic numbering schemes).

If you check "Page Information" in the Marks section in Marks and Bleeds in the PDF Export dialog, you get the logical page number for free:

pagenumber2.PNG

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can i add another page number to my page?

From what I saw they got their answer themselves.

I was just following up with my own thoughts on why someone would want something other than artwork within the bleed.

Page information falls outside the crop area most of the time. If someone were to put 5mm bleed and 0 offset though - it falls inside the bleed

crops.jpg

When that happens and you get a few of those a week it really jerks your chain. It doesn't happen all the time and shouldn't happen.

Just make sure the page information falls outside the bleed area.

It's good advice.

• 7. Re: Can i add another page number to my page?
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

[Jongware] wrote:

If you check "Page Information" in the Marks section in Marks and Bleeds in the PDF Export dialog, you get the logical page number for free:

Quite true. The reason I add my own additonal marks is that automated marks are in registration color. On a digital printer this makes a color click, even if there is no other color on the page, and that can really cost you on a long document. If yo make your own marks, you can do them in Black only (I add my own crops for digital printing, too, if there is going to be black-only output) and they will work on color pages too, but never generate a color click charge unless there is also CMY on the page.

• 8. Re: Can i add another page number to my page?
                        Toi B Level 1

I do suspect my printer meant "folding & assembly" instead of "imposition," but i was just following his terminology. It's a bit hard to talk with him (which is why i can understand eugene's mood) because he's been in the business for 20 years so he doesn't have to listen to me. oh well, he was the lowest bidder, i guess.

Next time i'll try Jongware's suggestion, which, though not customizable, is a lot easier.

• 9. Re: Can i add another page number to my page?

I'd suggest adding a Slug in File>Document Setup

Set this to be outside the bleed area.

You can then put that info in there.

when you make the pdf make sure to include the bleed and slug

Also, if he's in the business for 20 years he should be able to add those little details for himself at the imposition stage.

It really has nothing to do with your at all. If that's something he needs he should add it. Not you. You sent him the artwork, it's his job to get it done.

• 10. Re: Can i add another page number to my page?
                            Toi B Level 1

My feelings exactly. but i wasn't sure of the rules