11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2012 6:02 AM by Humble-bee

Open GL driver lost connection

cjacs987654 Level 1

Dear All,

I have Premiere CS5 - (all updates applied)

Occasionally, for no particular reason, ie random, I get

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close'

Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.htlm for help

Error code 8

When i click OK premiere closes, but I can continue in windows 7 and other programs.

I re-open premiere and all is ok until the next time. It appears to happen at different commands, no one particylar situation

I am going to check with nvidia support, but has anyone had any expereince of this and what is happening?

Thanks in advance

Chris Anderson

'

• 1. Re: Open GL driver lost connection
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

NLE programs, like PrPro, interface much more closely with the video driver, than almost any other programs. If there are video driver issues, they will usually show up in a program, like PrPro, first.

What is the model of your nVidia card?

What is the date/version of the installed driver?

Is that the latest, from the nVidia site?

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Open GL driver lost connection
            Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It's a common issue with some NVIDIA cards in some systems, and why the official supported cards list for Prem Pro is so short - while there are many many CUDA cards out there, with really intensive processing from tasks like frame resampling in HD they can sometimes take longer to return the shader data than Windows is prepared to wait. By default, Windows has a very short timeout, after which time it assumes the worst and nukes the process. Normally that's sensible, but for video and photo apps it can be too aggressive.

First (and safest) thing to try is kicking the NVIDIA card into top gear, by opening the NVIDIA control panel app, and setting Manage 3D Settings - Global Settings - Power Management Mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance"

If that doesn't help, you can extend the shader timeout by adding a value to a registry key, but note this is NOT curing the problem, merely masking it:

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Graphics/Drivers

Add the new DWORD value TdrDelay=10 (decimal)

If you absolutely must get a system running (for example when doing a classroom tutorial) and extending the timeout doesn't help, you can disable the timeout completely by adding another DWORD value TdrLevel=0 - but if the card crashes all heck will let loose on your system, it's like cutting your brake lines so you can get home faster. Files will be corrupted, software will crawl into corners and weep, mice will grow ears...

Finding the cause of the problem is never easy, as the GPU won't explicitly report why it's timing out - your mystical error message is the same no matter what, as all Windows knows is that shader data was requested and didn't turn up. It's often a cooling issue (i.e. a card is working harder than it was designed to) but it may also be a system RAM fault. Swapping hardware with a known good machine is the only way to isolate the true origin.

• 3. Re: Open GL driver lost connection
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

That often means the card is getting to hot and thottling to minimum. You need to have the 280.26 driver installed. Make sure you uninstall the previous driver before you install it or select the custom install and check mark the clean install box on the following screen.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Open GL driver lost connection
                cjacs987654 Level 1

H|i All,

Thanks for yoru replies. I have 280.26 installed on a GTX260 - had it for a year without problem, and updated lateest

drivers when they are released.

Thanks for all your advice, I am goping to try out your suggestions, and see how it goes. Because it is an intermittent problem, I wont know whether it works immediately, will have to wait a reasonable time to see if it stops.

Thanks again, will get back to this forum if I have problems

Thanks

Chris Anderson

• 5. Re: Open GL driver lost connection
                  Alan Craven Level 4

I had this problem when I used a GTS 250.  For me the only cure was a better graphics card - the GTX 460.

• 6. Re: Open GL driver lost connection

Did you uninstall the previous driver before installing the 280.26 driver?

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Open GL driver lost connection
                      cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi

No I didnt, never have! is that the correct procedure as the install doesnt mention it at all, I assume the driver was overwritten.

Should I do that?

Thanks

Chris

• 8. Re: Open GL driver lost connection
                        Alan Craven Level 4

NVidia actually recommend somewhere in there support documentation that you do not remove the old driver before installing the new version.  That may be OK for gamers, but it is a big no-no for Premiere.

There is a post somewhere on this forum which says you must remove the existing driver, install a basic VGA driver and shut down.  Then re-start in Safe Mode, run a driver sweeper, and only then install the new driver.  Somewhat OTT, but for Premiere, nearer to reality than the NVidia suggestion with which I opened.

• 9. Re: Open GL driver lost connection

You dont have to go into safe mode or use driver sweep. The process is easier. Just remove the driver through Programs and features and restart. See what driver loads. If it is another Nvidia driver then follow process again until the standard VGA driver loads. Once that loads then you run the 280.26 driver setup.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: Open GL driver lost connection
                            rejdmast1 Level 2

Has something changed with the way 5.5.1 works with the graphics card?  I never had the problem with 5.03.  Just started seeing it happen with 5.5.1 (same GTX 470 and 280.26 drivers)

• 11. Re: Open GL driver lost connection
                              Humble-bee

For anyone picking up this thread I have come across a simple but apparently very effective tip that has solved the 'OpenGL driver lost connection' issue for many people using various NVIDIA with various Adobe progs (incidentally a lot of these seem to crop up on Dell machines, especially notebooks).

It doesn't involve updating drivers or changing cards so might be worth putting high up on the tryout list...

(It fixed my issue with Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 crashing out with the 'lost connection' message after 5seconds-2 minutes - that was hell!). In my case GeForce GT 555M on Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Dell XPSL702X.

It's posted on http://forum-archive.developer.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=5331&st=40 (look for the last post, No 50) and goes as follows:

THIS FIX APPEARS TO WORK...found on an Adobe forum

"This issue led me to this fix: go to NVIDIA Control Panel --> Manage 3D Settings --> Global Settings, and switch "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer Maximum Performance" (the default "Adaptive" setting seemed to be the culprit). And that's it! The key here is changing the "Global" setting, as my individual programs were already set to "Prefer Maximum Performance." I can cause the error to reoccur by changing back to "Adaptive."

Otherwise lots more ideas on this site: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix...Nvlddmkm-Error/

My PC has been running for 2 days now. I only put the top fix in for now. Feel happier I have more options if need be though.

Inserted from <http://forum-archive.developer.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=5331&st=40>

It worked for me